D&D (2024) 6E When?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, but they stopped being an on-ramp to D&D, their parent line. It doesn't make sense to ruin that compatibility, either.

Mearls said during the Happy Fun Hour, when asked if they would receive a 5E facelift, that these boardgames are still working as an on-ramp, and aren't confusing anybody. Boardgames and RPGs are different beasts, after all.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, but they stopped being an on-ramp to D&D, their parent line. It doesn't make sense to ruin that compatibility, either.

That's the thing though. As you say yourself @Tony Vargas - the rules between 4e and 5e aren't actually all that different. So, there's no real need for a change in the rules for the board game to still work as an on ramp to D&D. Sure, there are some minor, cosmetic differences mechanically between 4e and 5e (healing surges and encounter balance probably being the biggest ones) but, overall, anyone who can read a 4e character sheet can read a 5e character sheet without any real difficulty.

5e is mostly backward compatible with 4e - there aren't that many mechanical changes.

Tony Vargas

Legend
That's the thing though. As you say yourself - the rules between 4e and 5e aren't actually all that different.
Well, I was more sorta quoting you without attribution, if I'm being honest.

5e is mostly backward compatible with 4e - there aren't that many mechanical changes.
Heck, the first few levels I've found 5e backwards compatible with 1e. ;)

Weiley31

Legend
Honestly? I hope never/not for a good long time.

I'm going to be starting DnD for the first time very soon and already I've invested in Tyranny of Dragons(2019), Descent into Avernus, Mists of Akuma(Third Party), and The Essentials Starter Kit.

Once I get the PHB/DMG and Ebberon, it's on!!! Super excited. Been wanting to play for A LONG TIME but nobody I knew played it. So DMing for the first time as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases