• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
not really a fan of tier3&4 exclusive feats.

Scaling feats feel better, Like extra HPs or Temp HP based on level or power based on prof bonus.
I'm a fan of higher level feats.

The general problem with picking from a flat pool of options is that you're going to take the most exciting and compelling options first, and then each subsequent pick becomes less and less interesting. Gating some powerful feats, whether in the form of chains, level requirements, or some other requirement, alleviates that.

Remathilis

Legend

The general problem with picking from a flat pool of options is that you're going to take the most exciting and compelling options first, and then each subsequent pick becomes less and less interesting. Gating some powerful feats, whether in the form of chains, level requirements, or some other requirement, alleviates that.
The issue of course is if higher level feats are strictly better, then people will never select weaker ones again.

I don't think people will pick level 1 feats once level 4 feats are unlocked. If there are level 8 feats, no one will pick a level 4 feat because they will gravitate to the more powerful choices, even if a level 4 feat fits their concept more. (I see that in spell choices on leveling; people always pick their new spell from the highest list tier available, even if the spells of that level are less interesting than other spells a level lower, because perceived power of being the highest level they can cast.)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

Exactly this problem was my principal issue with the (playtest 6) Hunter Ranger, which seemed terribly designed.

At level 3, choose one of these three options.
At level 7, choose one of these three options.
At level 11, choose one of the things that you didn't choose at level 3, eight levels earlier.
At level 15, choose one of the things that you didn't choose at level 7, eight levels earlier.

Those last two are just dogs frοm a design perspective. At a minimum (as I said in my feedback) at 11 and 15 you should get both the things you didn't choose before. But it is a subclass designed to bore you at higher levels. THere should have been more complaining about that than I think there was. :D

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The issue of course is if higher level feats are strictly better, then people will never select weaker ones again.

I don't think people will pick level 1 feats once level 4 feats are unlocked.
This might be true -- though I think at level 4 and above, if you take a level 1 feat at a higher level you also get +1 ASI, that would change the picture.

I don't think people will pick level 1 feats once level 4 feats are unlocked. If there are level 8 feats, no one will pick a level 4 feat because they will gravitate to the more powerful choices, even if a level 4 feat fits their concept more. (I see that in spell choices on leveling; people always pick their new spell from the highest list tier available, even if the spells of that level are less interesting than other spells a level lower, because perceived power of being the highest level they can cast.)
So ... what you are saying is that non-casters will get some actual scaling beyond level 5?

And what's wrong with my suggestion of "wrapper feats" that won't fix this?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This might be true -- though I think at level 4 and above, if you take a level 1 feat at a higher level you also get +1 ASI, that would change the picture.
Of the playtest level 1 feats, Lucky, Magic Initiate, and Alert should all stay competitive, esp. with that adjustment.
Of the feats in Tasha's without +1 ASI, Fighting Initiate and Artificer Initiate would fit this group too.

Arguably, Eldritch Adept and Poisoner are just fine as they are as level 4 feats. I'm not sure about Metamagic Adept.

Horwath

Legend
Of the playtest level 1 feats, Lucky, Magic Initiate, and Alert should all stay competitive, esp. with that adjustment.
Of the feats in Tasha's without +1 ASI, Fighting Initiate and Artificer Initiate would fit this group too.

Arguably, Eldritch Adept and Poisoner are just fine as they are as level 4 feats. I'm not sure about Metamagic Adept.
no full feat from Tasha's is worth full feat, some are half-feats at best.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads