• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Thanks,
I knew WOTC would include feats being not optional when they gave Skill, tough, and Magic Initiate as free feats in AL.
Prediction. FEATS WILL NOT BE OPTIONAL IN 2024 PHB.
If I am wrong I will post a picture of me drinking coffee.
YEA! I mostly caught up. And got to go again. See you.
I think you're going to be both right and wrong, depending on how you look at it. Which means that people will be arguing about it on here until the end of time.

What I mean is, first level feats will come with backgrounds, so unless you just specifically drop them from your background choice, or custom-make backgrounds without them, then they will be there.

However, in the very least, you'll be able to pick ASIs instead of Feats at Level 4, 8, etc. So they'll only be a - little - less optional than they were before.

Though I suppose that it's possible that backgrounds will offer an alternative to their feats for those that don't want them at all. Then you'll really have to drink a coffee. Otherwise, you'll IDK, have to drink half a cup? Who knows.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
What I mean is, first level feats will come with backgrounds, so unless you just specifically drop them from your background choice, or custom-make backgrounds without them, then they will be there.

However, in the very least, you'll be able to pick ASIs instead of Feats at Level 4, 8, etc. So they'll only be a - little - less optional than they were before.

Though I suppose that it's possible that backgrounds will offer an alternative to their feats for those that don't want them at all.
...we've seen products with the option for the default first-level feats being "choose skilled or tough". So while technically feats, they add no real complication. For those who don't want feats:

at level 1 choose three skill proficiencies or extra hit points.
at 4, 8 etc. choose +2 ASI.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
...we've seen products with the option for the default first-level feats being "choose skilled or tough". So while technically feats, they add no real complication. For those who don't want feats:

Hmm... that seems pretty reasonable. Essentially you're picking either a Scholar or a Warrior, and then some personal ability training.

Horwath

Legend

fighting style feat(horrible) and magic initiate also do not add anything that is not already in the game from 1st level.

fighting style feat(horrible) and magic initiate also do not add anything that is not already in the game from 1st level.
There are only 11 first level feats we've seen (so fewer than random background mechanics).
  • Alert
  • Crafter
  • Healer
  • Lightly Armored
  • Lucky
  • Magic Initiate
  • Musician
  • Savage Attacker
  • Skilled
  • Tavern Brawler
  • Tough
I think there's a definite balance issue there, with Alert, Lightly Armoured (on an arcanist), Lucky, Magic Initiate, and possibly Tough being strong. And I think people will actually take Healer, Savage Attacker, Skilled, and monks will Tavern Brawler.

And now I wonder what I'm complaining about because I'm saying five out of eleven are strong and four will also be taken. Which just leaves Crafter and Musician as weak. (Savage Attacker isn't strong - but it is best in class at something people care about).

I'm curious which will be banned. Especially by people that let the nobles have their retainers.

Horwath

Legend
There are only 11 first level feats we've seen (so fewer than random background mechanics).
  • Alert
  • Crafter
  • Healer
  • Lightly Armored
  • Lucky
  • Magic Initiate
  • Musician
  • Savage Attacker
  • Skilled
  • Tavern Brawler
  • Tough
I think there's a definite balance issue there, with Alert, Lightly Armoured (on an arcanist), Lucky, Magic Initiate, and possibly Tough being strong. And I think people will actually take Healer, Savage Attacker, Skilled, and monks will Tavern Brawler.

And now I wonder what I'm complaining about because I'm saying five out of eleven are strong and four will also be taken. Which just leaves Crafter and Musician as weak. (Savage Attacker isn't strong - but it is best in class at something people care about).

I'm curious which will be banned. Especially by people that let the nobles have their retainers.
I would ban instantly Lucky and Savage attacker, not because of their power, but I hate re-rolls, just slows down the game.
Savage attacker can be simply +2 damage or +3 on 2Handed melee attacks.
Lucky can give +/-5 to roll result as reaction.

healer and alert have been pounded into nothing(good thing for Alert, never took it it was too powerful and not fun really).

That leaves tough and magic initiate as clear winner here, Skilled is on lower end of OK feats.

tavern brawler is good, but again with the rerolls...ffs... just give +1 damage instead. I will NOT break the game.

Retros_x

Adventurer
Most characters don't take more than 4 feats on their road to level 20. 4 out of 75 seems fine to me. More feats would not increase the number of feats you actually can select. Its just more decision fatigue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads