• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

8th level PC's + Iron Golem = Need a plan

Timely Drought said:
Golems sense things through sight and sound, like everyone else. You'll notice it has no spot or listen ranks (in fact no skills at all). An invisible rogue moving silently can sneak around without fear.

From the SRD -- Rust Monster

Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to pieces and becoming useless immediately. The touch can destroy up to a 10-foot cube of metal instantly. Magic armor and weapons, and other magic items made of metal, must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be dissolved. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

What the hell does that last phrase mean? A constitution-based reflex save? What racial bonus?
Saving Throws for Supernatural and Extraoridinary are calculated by the following formulae: 10 + 1/2 HD of the creature + ability modifier. The ability modifier is specified in the description. The +4 racial bonus means the save DC against the rust monsters rusting grasp attack is higher than indicated by the formula because of this bonus.
In 3.0, the save DCs were implicitely determines by this formula, but thankfully, they spelled this out directly in 3.5. Its useful when designing new monsters or advancing monsters.

Mustrum Ridcully

Bryin

First Post
Mephistopheles said:
From the 3.5 DMG p282, also in the Magic Items I SRD: "Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed)."

So basicly make a weapon that can create somewhat rust effects :)(if that doesn't work, aim for its legs with Melf's Acid Arrow or any other rusting effect)

Darklone

A tower with 5 floors? Lure him down, have some others sneak past him. As soon as he tries to get back up, enter again and attack him, preferably with ranged stuff.

Kyrail

First Post
I don't think one rust monster can kill an iron gollem. The gollum hit at +23 and has a 10 foot reach. It does 2d10+11... thats an average of 22, rust monsters have an average of 27 hp. It uses it's breath weapon as a free action, 1d4 con damage, dropping the rust monsters HP before he even takes his AoO. Better hope he doesn't hit high on that AoO. True he would lose his arm, but he'd squash the rust monster. And an iron gollum with 1 arm is still a pretty tough foe.

(yes I know it states that rust monsters can take our iron gollums in the monster manual)

Last edited:

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Tatsukun said:
The building is 100% stone, so we thought about using 'stone shape' to destroy the stairs after luring the golem to the first floor, but the DM told us the thing would climb Jackie Chan style up the shaft left.
You know, I'm trying to picture a human-sized metal statue weighing about 5,000lbs, moving 20' per round, unable to run, with no Climb speed and no ranks at all in Climb (just what, a +11 strength modifier?), doing anything Jackie-Chan style. ;)

I suppose it could still climb up one or two floors without stairs (maybe by jamming its massive fingers through the walls to make some handholds for itself), but that's still 5,000lbs of weight being put on those walls, and I can't help but think that, structurally speaking, that wouldn't be healthy for the tower. But hey, if your GM isn't going to let the golem get stuck on the first floor (as the whole "Jackie Chan" thing seems to suggest), then it's pointless to try and think of a clever way to keep it out of there; you might as well just stock up on golembane scarabs and stuff that casts Lightning Bolt and just try to kill it.

But if the tower is sitting on a big, thick shelf of natural rock or you can lure the golem to such a place, I'll point out that an 8th-level caster is practically guaranteed to be able to cast Transmute Rock to Mud from a scroll. Combined with a golem's slow movement and a handy Dispel Magic, it's a decent enough golem-trap.

And if you're evil, I guess you could keep it in combat until it finally goes berserk, then try to draw it towards the nearest village/city/person you hate. In its HULK-SMASH! rage, it should forget all about protecting the tower.

--
of course, it'll probably kill you if you try to stay in combat with it that long
ryan

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Actually, we have a player who makes a plan with a pit trap every single game. It's kind of a group joke now. So, he sugested digging a pit trap on the first floor and sealing the thing in with stone shape. The DM suggested it would be impossible and/or teh golem could break it's way out.

So far I'm liking the golembane scarrab and attacking every day until it's dead. They can't heal by themselves, right?

-Tatsu

Felix

Explorer
I came accross so many +1 Maces of Smiting in Neverwinter Nights that there must be a few lying around where you are.

But yeah, Rust Monsters are the A#1 best way of dealing with Iron Golems. One hit with a feeler, and they're toast.

A scroll of Forcecage would do the trick since there's no saving throw... and it would net you at least 14 hours to search the upstairs. The golem would not be able to break out of the cage, though you would have to worry a little about the breath weapon passing through the bars if you do the caged version. But yeah, this would do if you have access to it... but then, a scroll does cost 27friggin000 gold pieces. Oh well.

A bead of force could work for 3k gp, but it does say that it acts like Ortiluke's Resilent Sphere, and that spell allows Spell Resistance. 10 minutes might be enough to search the upstairs... or maybe not.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Sounds like a lot of fun!

First up, I'd try not to kill it... The wizard who made it is going to be powerful and I'd get annoyed if someone blew up my XX,000 GP toy.

A carefully worded Divination might cut down the amount of searching you need to do considerably?

Could you scry the room with something like Clairvoyance - might well be protected, but it could be worth a go...

If your mage has it, Wall of Force could be useful. No SR so Mr Golem can't get through it. Only 9 rounds duration, but that could be useful.

If you've got some tanglefoot bags they could buy you some time. It will have no problems making the reflex or strength checks, but it will still slow it down to half speed for 2D4 rounds.

Hitting it with electricity at the same time should slow by a further half with 1 move or standard action, for 3 rounds. A wand of Electric Substituted Acid Splash will cost you 375 for 50 charges... if allowed.

A combination of the 2 will reduce it to 5' move, 1 single move or standard action per round. As long as they stack.

Could someone, perhaps the barbarian, 'bait' it into following. Along with someone with electric attacks and the tanglefoot bags, lead it a long chase around the building.

The rest of you get to the top of the tower, either by flight, dim door or similar, possibly even climb and cut through the roof with the adamantine weapon?

While it's busy chasing the others you'll have plenty of time to search?

Last edited:

dragonsworn

First Post
Depending on the source books you are using, I believe that there is a spell in the Pocket Grimoire - Divine for "Invisibility to Constructs". We used this in our current campaign and it worked great. However, we are currently running version 3.0.

KBarber

First Post
You could also try illusions. Contrary to popular belief, creatures that are immune to mind affecting spells (constructs, undead, etc.) are still affected by/percieve illusions. The vast majority of them aren't smart enough to interact with an illusion in order to garner a saving throw to disbelieve it. Try a clever illusion (like an illusionary wall) and sneak the entire party past the golem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads