OD&D A 15 year old Baron had A 17 month old half Sister that despite being his half sister wasn't of noble birth, yet he provided for her, why?

JMISBEST

Explorer
Yesterday I had yet another Dnd Dream and I have a question about it

A 15 year old Senior Baron had A 17 month old half Sister that despite being his half sister wasn't of noble birth, meaning he didn't have to provide for her and if he wanted to he could have had her placed in a orphanage before she was even 3 hours old

Despite that he took her in, ensured she was well fed, well clothed, well treated, loved, pampered and well treated and made plans for her adult life by arranging for her to 1 day marry the son of the minor Baron that's his vassal, but why would he do that?

I'm now correcting a mistake with the last paragraph that I forgot to correct, I then forgot that I'd forgot the correct those mistakes and that's the reason why it was left for a while and I've since corrected a few mistakes I made with this paragraph

In case your wondering how the 17 month old girl could be the half Sister of A 15 year old Senior Baron yet not be of noble birth its because the previous title holder was the 15 year old Senior Barons mother, his father was a commoner, the fathers the mutual parent and years after the 15 year old Senior Barons mother died the now 15 year old, who at the time of the girls birth was only 13 years., 10 and a half months old, Senior Barons father had a brief relationship with another commoner and the now 15 year old Senior Barons now 17 month old common born half Sister was the result

Last edited:

Inukai

Explorer
I would say if he's marrying her off to the son of a vassal, it would be to insure the loyalty of the Barony going forward.
Also, the last paragraph reads wrong. It implies the 15 year old Senior Baron is actually the girl's father...

aco175

Legend
Being only 15, people tend to be more compassionate than full adults that look to be more practical and learned to not deal with family.

One could also say that he cares for his sister and was in the position to do something.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I would say if he's marrying her off to the son of a vassal, it would be to insure the loyalty of the Barony going forward.
Also, the last paragraph reads wrong. It implies the 15 year old Senior Baron is actually the girl's father...
Does it?, sorry.

How do you think people would react to A Senior Baron having A Common Born Half Sister?

JMISBEST

Explorer
Being only 15, people tend to be more compassionate than full adults that look to be more practical and learned to not deal with family.

One could also say that he cares for his sister and was in the position to do something.
He's only 15 at the moment but at the time his half sister was born he'd have only been 13 years, 10 and a half months. Sorry for forgetting to mention that in the original post

Cobalt Meridian

Explorer
Supporter
How do you think people would react to A Senior Baron having A Common Born Half Sister?

I don't think it would make any difference to the common people. They might actually see it as a positive thing.
To the landed gentry they wouldn't think the situation to be particularly unusual - they probably all have illegitimate children by various servants and local tavern wenches, meaning that their children have common-born half-siblings - but would raise an eyebrow about the Baron acknowledging it. It's best for the nobility for lines of inheritance to be kept "simple" and half-siblings are an annoyance that tend to be disposed of.

However, as I understand it, the Baron's father was common-born so perhaps this particular society is more accepting to these situations. It definitely seems OK with a title passing to a woman (the Baron's mother) which would be considered very "progressive" in many societies.
In short, run it how you see fit. If the people are upset then there's reasons why they'd be. If they're accepting well you've already set a precedence for why that might be the case.

Inukai

Explorer
In case your wondering how the 17 month old girl could be the half Sister of A 15 year old Senior Baron yet not be of noble birth its because the previous title holder was the 15 year old Senior Barons mother, his father was a commoner, the fathers the mutual parent and years after the 15 year old Senior Barons mother died the 15 year old Senior Baron had a brief relationship with another commoner and the now 15 year old Senior Barons now 17 month old common born half Sister was the result

Does it?, sorry.

I think they would react the same way to having a Senior Baron with a commoner father. That same father would also be given noble title (at least on paper) as the husband of the Senior Baron's mother, so an argument could be made that the half-sister is also of half-noble birth.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I think they would react the same way to having a Senior Baron with a commoner father. That same father would also be given noble title (at least on paper) as the husband of the Senior Baron's mother, so an argument could be made that the half-sister is also of half-noble birth.
That may be true but their are other possibility, 1 is that the Senior Barons popularity is high enough that the other members of the countries noble class don't mind him acknowledging that he has a common born father but at the same time its low enough that they will mind him acknowledging that he has a common born half sister

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
William the Conqueror was born illegitimate from a relationship between his father, Robert, Duke of Normandy, with Herleva, daughter of a tanner in Falaise.
Tanner was a particularly low status job, due to the smell of the process.
Herleva must have been quite a woman, as she went on to marry the Norman lord Herluin de Conteville, and have two further children by him, both of whom went on to be pretty significant players in both England and Normandy, as William's half-brothers.
One was Robert of Mortain, one of the most powerful barons after 1066, and the other was Odo, Bishop of Bayeux who commissioned the famous tapestry.

So your dream is not too unbelievable.

Remove ads