D&D 5E A brief rant about Rime of the Frost Maiden, farming, logistics, and ecology

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've only skimmed through the adventure on Dndbeyond. Is it explained why there is a group of Chultans in IWD? Just wondering why a group thought to themselves "ya know, I like it here in this tropical paradise, but where I really want to live is a frozen wasteland..."

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've only skimmed through the adventure on Dndbeyond. Is it explained why there is a group of Chultans in IWD? Just wondering why a group thought to themselves "ya know, I like it here in this tropical paradise, but where I really want to live is a frozen wasteland..."

I mean, Paradise gets boring after a while.

Also, to be fair, the northern regions do tend to be equally beautiful visually. Just.... stupidly cold and unfriendly weather.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Because there are no mosquitos, man-eating dinosaurs, and, damn!, does it get way too 🤬 hot!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The day I moved to Goose Bay (July 1981) it was the hot spot in Canada - it had the highest temperature across the nation that day. Things can get pretty warm when the sun beats down from 4am to 11pm. However, there was snow in the forests until at least May and we expected the first snowfall sometime late September. You planned your Halloween costume around winter clothes, because there would definitely be snow that stuck by then.

I lived 3 blocks from school and in the winter we were bused. As a kid I thought it was because of the cold - it was to a point, but looking back I realize it was also to keep kids off the streets. There were no sidewalks and the snowbanks along the road were so high that there is no way that cars would be able to see kids on the street as they approached intersections.

-30C/-22F air temps were rather common, wind chill of -80C/-112F was not unheard of. Yes, exposed skin can freeze quickly. The key word is exposed. Dress for the weather, in layers.
Hey, that's awesome! Thank you for providing your expeience with this kind of climate.

FitzTheRuke

Legend

If Tomb of Annihilation is anything to go by, Chult is NOT a paradise. It's a deadly combination of heat, rain, heat, dinosaurs, heat, undead, and heat. I think the answer is "exploration", though. I thought it was a neat bit.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If Tomb of Annihilation is anything to go by, Chult is NOT a paradise. It's a deadly combination of heat, rain, heat, dinosaurs, heat, undead, and heat. I think the answer is "exploration", though. I thought it was a neat bit.

Ha, true! There is a bit of danger in their home. Exploration might be the best answer though. I think exploration and opportunity could be a reason to move from a home they've adapted to, having even domesticated dinosaurs to a degree, to a frigid location in the north. I saw a Chultan was a chieftain and I was all what? But that was all I read at the time.

Hussar

Legend
This sort of argument really does bring home the different ways that people approach the game.

If you approach it, as @Umbran is, as an "adventure" module, then, well, minor details are not terribly interesting. It's not what the adventure is about and anyone else who approaches it in this manner probably won't even question it. OTOH, if you are more in the @Chaosmancer camp, where these sorts of modules are meant to be world building exercises, then, sure, it's very important.

Now, to me, it's abundantly clear that WotC isn't terribly interested in the world building exercise. It's not what sells adventures. But, it does really highlight the different approaches to the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases