A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Shall I try to grab 'im for yuh, sir?" he asks waving his arms in hopes of distracting the creature for the professionals.
Ethian lets the others pass first and then runs down the stairs. He voices his agreement to Crock Jon :"Go for it!". He stands ready to strike should the creature turn hostile.

OOC: Ready action: Ethian will cast booming blade on the creature if it makes a hostile move. From counting the squares, he should be next to it in the staircase. @J3/ J15 which I think are the same spot) If I miscounted/misinterpreted the map, change my actions to dash to i5
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Shedrick? Are you hurt?" Argenti asks as she makes her way to the top of the stairs, ready for trouble.

OOC: Moving to g 15, reading an action to Eldritch Blast the creature should it make an aggressive action
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Everyone rushed for the stairs. The creature was grabbing at Shedrick with its claw-like hand. While Croc Jon thundered down the creaky steps, Kaliban leaped over and telekinetically lifted the lad away, placing him safely near the open front door. The creature looked about in dismay and shrieked - the chilling sound like a woman in distress. It ducked as Hawthorne fired a crossbow bolt from the top of the stairs (it was more a warning shot than an attempt to harm the thing) and as it found itself increasingly surrounded, it stepped back into the shadows under the stairs, folding them around itself.

Suddenly, it was by Shedrick again, in the shadow of the front door. Thankfully, instead of grabbing at the lad, who now had his sword out, it ducked away from him and out the door, but it was obviously distressed by the daylight, and it covered its face with a malformed arm and stumbled on the stoop while making shrieking noises.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Meenlock
MayorHouse2.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Stairs and Furniture
Visibility: Inside Dim; Outside Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Crock Jon AC14 HP 36/36 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP12* SD 4/4
Ethian AC19* HP 27/27 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 0/1
Hawthorne AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 4/4 (d6's)
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 7/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 2/3
(NPCs)
Shedrick AC13 HP 16/16 THP 1/7 PP12
Meenlock AC15 HP 31/31 PP14*
GM: End Round One; Begin Round Two
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Shedrick had opened his mouth to complain to Argenti about his ribs, which were sore from where the creature had pinched him when he'd flown through the air to the door.

When the thing appeared beside him in the doorway, he called out, "Ah! It's over here now!"

OOC: Shedrick is at 10/16 HP
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon sees the creature at the doorway, and sees it resist the daylight. He steps up to it and attempts to grab it. If he is successful, he begins to walk it outside into the light, away from shadows.

"I think I got 'im for yuh, sir."

OOC: Move 20' to J9.
Action: attempt to grapple. 1d20+6=24. Assuming that's a hit, speed is now halved, so remaining 10' --> 5'.
Move 5' with creature to J8 (it's at J7), or towards a better light source if there is one.
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Vermellion
Day 24/Morning
Round 2

Ruznami clambered further down the stairs, nearly reaching the bottom, but he could see the creature now holding Shedrick. Argenti was a bit in the way, but the dwarven mage lifted his wand and swirled it, gathering fire and shooting it at the creature.

***

Save:
Move: Move to K5 (double move cost through Ethian)
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Scorching Ray at the meenlock (probably with cover from Argenti)
Scorching Ray fire damage: 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12
2D6 = [4, 1] = 5
1D20+5 = [10]+5 = 15
2D6 = [1, 6] = 7
1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18
2D6 = [2, 2] = 4

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray


Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

Kaliban blinks as the creature vanishes again in the darkness. He turns at the yelp of Shedrick and moves towards the creature. Once he gets close he waits, only striking if it breaks free from Crock Jon's grasp.

OOC: I will move to I9 and ready my action for if it breaks free of Crock Jon's grapple. If it does I will strike it with my rapier.

Readied Rapier strike on Meenlock.: 1d20+5 11 1d8+3 7. Roll just incase I can use the readied action.
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
"What in Mount Celestia's name is going on down there?!? Shedrick, when in the hells did you learn to fly?!? Does my father know you had that magic and just never told me, because I would be very disappointed in being kept in the dark about something like that!"

If/when the folks in front of him on the stairs make their way down, Hawthorne follows. Otherwise he remains where he is at the back of the line.
 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian will come down the stairs and do anything he can to help Croc grapple and drag the creature to the light
OOC: croc’s roll was good, but he gets a help action for what it’s worth
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hawthorne followed Ruznami down the stairs, frustrated that the dwarf moved so slowly. Having passed the landing, the dwarf mage suddenly sent three small balls of fire hurtling over the heads of Argenti and Crock Jon, as the latter crossed the foyer to catch the fleeing creature.

Two of them struck the creature, who wailed in pain and anguish as Shedrick ducked past it, rushing back into the house. The third went out the front door and scorched its way along the damp grass under the old tree. "Aah!" called Shedrick, "Please don't burn me, sir!"

Crock Jon, Ethian, and Kaliban surrounded the creature and the half-orc brawler wrapped his big arms around it, lifting it off its feet in a bear-hug. He hefted it into the daylight, and held it tight. The thing struggled in vain, making loud screeching noises.

OOC: It can't possibly beat a 24 grapple. Ruz did 11 damage to it. Argenti can still act for round 2, as well as 3, if she has anything she wants to do other than watch.


GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Meenlock
MayorHouse3.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Stairs and Furniture
Visibility: Inside Dim; Outside Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Crock Jon AC14 HP 36/36 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP12* SD 4/4
Ethian AC19* HP 27/27 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 0/1
Hawthorne AC14 HP 31/31 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 4/4 (d6's)
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 0/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 2/3
(NPCs)
Shedrick AC13 HP 10/16 THP 0/7 PP12
Meenlock AC15 HP 20/31 PP14*
GM: End Round Two; Begin Round Three
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon squeezes tight, as the creature's unearthly howls let loose into articulate speech. He tries to punch, but its squirming challenges him while he holds on.

OOC: Fighting style: 1d4=1 point damage to grappled foe. No move.
Action: Attack (punch): 1d20+6=13, damage = 1d8+4=11 (if advantage from Ethian, no difference; apologies for the separate links; having trouble with the roller)
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti furrows her brow at the creature, attacking the help is just bad manners.

"Malus." The genasi condemns it while casting an evil eye, before casting one of her glowing green stones at it. "Hya!"

"Do you need more assistance with that?"
She asks coldly, readying to strike.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, I got sick.
Casting Hex on the creature, so that it's dexterity checks are at an automatic disadvantage.
Casting Eldritch Blast
Eldritch Blast: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D10+4+2+1D6 = [6]+4+2+[2] = 14


Ready an action to cast again, in case the creature tries anything else.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Vermellion
Day 24/Morning
Round 3

Ruznami rushed down the stairs and pulled his warhammer as he approached the creature held by Crock John. He swung at the creature to try and put it down.

***

Save:
Move: to I9
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack Meenlock
Warhammer: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11
1D8+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray


Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
"Hey now, hey now! Let's not go overboard, people! No need for senseless killing, we did invade its domicile after all. If Crock Jon has it restrained we don't want to aggravate or frighten it any further, especially if it can manipulate or project emotion like Ethian said upstairs."

He walks across the the main hall of the house to the front door, taking a moment to place a hand on Shedrick's shoulder and look into the lad's eyes. "You all right, Shedrick? Bit of a fright there, eh?" He gives the shoulder a squeeze of support, then continues on outside the house to where the creature is being held by Crock Jon. Hawthorne walks right up to it and says with a loud and strong voice "Now... let's see who you REALLY are!" while reaching his hand up to the creature's neck as though to grab the base of a mask.

He then suddenly stops and turns to the rest of the group with a slight smile. "Kidding. Just kidding."
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hawthorne's joke reflected a mystery-comedy puppet show that was popular in Baldur's Gate, where the "ghost" was revealed in the end to have been the Grand Duke's gardener, much to the surprise and delight of the audience. It had been so popular, that it had spawned knock-offs, homages, and pastiches, all more ridiculous than the last. Shedrick, who had been shaken and frightened a moment before, burst out in laughter, then replied bravely, "I'll be all right, sir!"

Crock Jon held the creature fast. It tried to pinch at him, but he had its arms held awkwardly, and he stepped into the sunlight, where the thing couldn't bend shadows to escape. It twisted its head, trying to shade its strange eyes from the light while making piteous yet bone-chilling wails.

OOC: It does have a fear aura. Anyone starting their turn within 10 feet must make a dc11 wisdom save or be frightened. Crock Jon at least should roll that save. Argenti can probably shoot it again (it did try to attack, miserably) and @Steve Gorak Ethian and @VLAD the Destroyer Kaliban have yet to act this round (They should both roll the save first). Anyone who feels that their character would have "gotten" Hawthorne's joke, can have advantage on the roll.
 
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Aah!"

Crock Jon feels flies on the creature he holds bury into his skin, or so he imagines. His muscles lock up, but he holds on tight.

OOC: Wis save: 1d20=8 fail. But looking at the Frightened condition, I think he can hold on still: can't move closer (check) and disadvantage on ability checks (including attempts to maintain the grapple from now on, unless there is Help.). Does that seem right?
 




Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top