A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne feels his nerves twinge for a moment as Argenti's stone rockets past him and then past the creature... and he turns back to the young woman with a raised eyebrow. "Really? You know, if you wanted a raise, Argenti, you could have just asked." He holds the look for just a moment, then breaks out into a grin and lets out a guffah one time. He then turns back to the meenlock, as the twinge of nerves he feels towards it being swallowed and ignored.



"Do you speak, creature? Can you understand me?" He waits a moment for response, then looks at the young half-orc holding onto the creature tightly. "Crock Jon, if this creature does not respond in a method we can understand, I think the best thing to do would be for you to walk it out of the village if possible and let it go. We can maintain an eye on it to make sure it leaves the area and doesn't come back."
 

log in or register to remove this ad


FitzTheRuke

Legend
As everyone stood nearby to ready to help if need be, Crock Jon wrestled the creature into a submissive hold. It tried to slip through its own shadow, but the big half-orc held it tight, stepping into the brightest-lit spot on the road outside the manor house.

The creature seemed like it should be able to understand Hawthorne as he spoke, but it just made eerie, pathetic cries in response and cast out a general feeling of sorrow and discontent.

OOC: Combat is probably over for now.
 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian retrieved some rope and proceeded to tying the creature up: first its legs, then arms. Being an experienced sailor, he was quick and effective, even though the creature wasn't cooperating.

As he was working, he asked his companions: "Anybody know how we can find out what it is?"
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne admires the knots the elf tied around the creature's arms and legs, and then responds to Ethian's query. "Honestly at this point do we even really NEED to know what it is, my friend? I almost think we have pretty good evidence that it just wants to be left alone, so I say we give it its wish. Crock Jon can walk it out of the village and then let it go-- leave its hands bound together but release the ropes around its legs and then watch it scramble off down the mountain."

He motions with his chin to the manor house behind him. "We just need to get ourselves settled in in there, take a break from all the hullabaloo, and get ourselves prepared to examine the mine. The sooner we can get rid of this creature, the sooner we can do all that, I say."
 


Steve Gorak

Adventurer
He motions with his chin to the manor house behind him. "We just need to get ourselves settled in in there, take a break from all the hullabaloo, and get ourselves prepared to examine the mine. The sooner we can get rid of this creature, the sooner we can do all that, I say."

"Hmm, what if it is hostile, and warns its friends? If you give me a few minutes, I want to ask Sehanine for guidance".


OOC: I'll let the others chime in, but barring any other proposed course of action, Ethian will cast Augury as a ritual to see if it is a good idea to release the creature
OOC:
 

Kaliban nods to Ethian.

"That is a good idea but what is the plan if your god indicates letting it go is a bad idea. We do not have the manpower to keep it prisoner. If it is hostile and can't be released then what are our other options?"

Kaliban then turns to Croc.

"If we do release the creature I will join you. It is not wise to be moving about alone."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon hesitates, and looks to everyone giving him instructions. His Uncle had said things like this happen. The creature squirming in his grasp, he held on and awaited a decision.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ethian prayed for portents, and the light on his face shifted momentarily, as if he stood in a lunar eclipse. He understood the warning: Woe. No good would come from letting the creature go.

But what was the alternative?
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Kaliban had heard of creatures such as these. He was able to name it as a "Meenlock" and to supply that it was some sort of telepathic tormenting fey.

OOC: I suppose it's possible that someone knows more, if anyone would like to venture their own Int roll. Not Crock Jon or Shedrick. They have no idea.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti studies the creature, one of many she isn't familiar with in these lands. It's face is far to insectoid for the genasi to come to any conclusions about it's intentions.

"Is this one of the local bugs?" She asks while fidgeting with one of her green stones. "Can we not just squish it with a rock?"

OOC: Argenti did her best, but her best isn't good enough for this sort of thing, hah.
Insight check: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne shakes his head after hearing what the deep gnome had to say regarding these creatures, and he squints at the struggling thing in Crack Jon's arms. When Argenti brings up squashing it with a rock, the look on the young man's face can obviously indicate he isn't thrilled with the idea.

"I don't know... that seems rather... drastic? But if Ethian says this poor fey thing will only bring us issue, I don't know what's our other choices."

He takes a few moments to think about what little he knows about this thing's history, but also with what they determined just based upon their encounter with it thus far (not going to roll Arcana or Religion as I'm not proficient with either.)

Confident that Jon has a solid grip and that out here in the open the fey has little strength to fight against the halfork, Hawthorne considers the alternatives. "All right, so what do we know? We know this is a fey, we know that it moans and cries and can make us feel hopeless. We also know that when there is darkness about it can seemingly pass through areas portalling about. That leads me to think that if we determine we don't want to just destroy the thing... something I'm not exactly keen to do as it is defenseless although I'll submit to the group's opinion on that score... our other best option would be to tie it down someplace out in the open in direct sunlight so that it can't port away. Then we just try to get up to the caves and get everything taken care of before the sun sets down."

He glances up at the sky and what sunlight and/or cloud cover might be throwing down, then looks around the small village to see if there is anything the would be solid enough to tie the meenlock to but which would not produce any shadows that the creature could fall through.
 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
This fey has not harmed us meaningfully, we’re the ones that encroached on its space. The two options I see are either to release it, or to tie it up. Violence isn’t justified. I would prefer to release it, but I’m afraid it may be our downfall. This is why I want to consult Sehanine”
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At the moment, the best spot to keep the creature was in an open grass-covered garden on the hill behind the manor-house. Nothing could stop shadows from passing over the area by late afternoon, but such was the best they could do.

"I could stay and guard it." suggested Ruznami, who was interested in studying the creature.

OOC: And is currently missing his player.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon listens to the conversation, and is ready to take orders. He considers the creature in his grasp, still struggling. Does it appear to be in pain from the sunlight? Are they talking about torturing it? If not, he says nothing and does as he is told.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I could stay with Sage Ruznami, to watch his back," suggested Shedrick to Hawthorne, hoping that he wouldn't have to go into the haunted mine.
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
With the dwarf and his batman both stating their willingness to watch over the creature in the middle of the garden up on the hill, Hawthorne nods and motions to Crock Jon. "Then let's do that. Take this thing up the hill and we will stake him off in the garden so there are no shadows for it to escape within. Ruznami, Shedrick... let's make sure it stays put, but don't risk your lives over the thing. Keep a safe distance once we get it secured. The rest of us? Let's just do a quick investigation of the manor house... get our geared stowed... then make our way to the mine once we are ready so we can get that done hopefully before the long shadows of late day give us issues."

He nods to everyone and then begins walking up the hill to get the stake set up for the meenlock to be tied to.
 


Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top