D&D 5E A case for weapon master

Li Shenron

Legend
Moderately armored isn't a terrible feat if your game doesn't have MCing. But if it does, it's a much lower opportunity cost to simply grab armor from a one-level dip.

I think this is the crux of the matter. We have 2 optional modules: feats and multiclassing. They have some overlapping in the fact that both can grant some of the same things (proficiencies).

If you use both systems, I don't see the problem in having two options to get the same benefit, and one of them being cheaper. Just forget about some of the feats and use the rest.

Another matter if you only use one of the modules. We don't use multiclassing (yet) so the only way to pick up more weapon/armor proficiencies is spending a feat. I want all feats to be good, the more balanced the better but I can live with some difference. Weapon/armor proficiencies however break stereotypes, and that's why they are more expensive than their benefits. It wouldn't break the game if Weapon Master granted proficiency in all weapons, but it lessens the importance of choosing a class, an archetype, or a race. Same reason why Magic Initiate grants very little spellcasting.

As a fan of the word "role" in roleplay games, I am fine with this sort of options being expensive. If someone allows multiclassing, it is obvious to me that they already like blurring lines between roles, so just ignore the more expensive options.

In this case:

Take gfb and or bb. With a 20 ac with plate, you can hit with weapon (mace or with weapons master hammer) for hammer1-8, gfb 1-8 as well as str, say +3 and wisdoms say +4. So first attack 2-16 +7; Second target would be 1-8 +4, +4. Now add spiritual weapon 1-8 +4’as well as spiritual guardians. And perhaps you secured a magic weapon.

that is a lot of punch. I think they melee as well as or better than other clerics when properly equipped.

of course if you cast a big spell that round, you might not melee at all.

but at times you really can and it’s fun when you do.
That is a solid concept.
You could also take magic initiate as a war cleric and have the same amount of stat bonuses.
What I would probably allow as a DM is mixing weapon master and heavily armored without +1 to str two times. That way you don't have to deal with an uneven stat for 4 levels.
Actually probably after tasha, just allowing any half feat to increase any stat would also not be out of order.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
That is a solid concept.
You could also take magic initiate as a war cleric and have the same amount of stat bonuses.
What I would probably allow as a DM is mixing weapon master and heavily armored without +1 to str two times. That way you don't have to deal with an uneven stat for 4 levels.
Actually probably after tasha, just allowing any half feat to increase any stat would also not be out of order.
Indeed. I chose this domain for story purposes. Welll heck, I like wee Jas a lot too.

wanted a nonevil creepy priest and think this would fit the bill.

it’s funny. War needs a feat for the cantrips. Arcana for weapons. However, arcana needs another for armor in this case too. So war is more efficient in a sense but I never take the easy way.

I like wizard magic mixed in for flavor as well. I think I am going to pull the trigger on this and try it.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
I have an acoloyte-Life cleric I considered Weapon master for:

Base human stats of Str15, Dex9, Con14, Int14, Wis16, Cha10
Improved Wis @ 8th level (later got Cha+1 by Bag o bean egg)

Anyway, thought about Str16 plus longsword & great sword etc, but opted for Str & Dex+1. He almost fell to his doom down a glacier crevice by a whiffed Dex save, so I kind of felt he would shore that up.

Heh, later he picked up a Spear of warning, so now his initiative is pretty good. I don't know... given his burly companions, there was ample rationale for him to beef up his weapon skill.

Can't predict things like that Bag o bean egg giving +1 to lowest stat. (throw up hands)

Remove ads