• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A case where the 'can try everything' dogma could be a problem

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I don't allow general knowledge checks. I use the knowledge system as a tool for storytelling. It would hurt suspension of disbelief to allow everyone to roll knowledge checks because the RAW indicates they can. I would only allow a person, even with a knowledge skill, to roll a check concerning something they might know about. I was extraordinarily tired of knowledge checks from Pathfinder where everyone with a knowledge skill had an encyclopedic knowledge of numerous subjects and creatures without any organized school system or much time spent studying the subject matter. The only class I show some leeway with is the bard who might have heard a tale or something of the kind. I tend to frame any information given as a bit of a tale or song they might have heard.

Knowledge skills allowing constant checks for creatures seemed cool at first. Now that I've experienced the effect, any such check has been excised from the game unless I think the player might have some knowledge of the subject such as coming from an area where a creature is common or having a family that might have passed down such information. That is why I expect my players to write a good background that includes the possibility of access to unique information about areas or creatures. If a player wants to half-ass his background, then he won't get much from knowledge checks. I'm ok with that.

I have come to dislike knowledge checks, especially the expectation of general knowledge checks. I have reverted to the 1E/2E of dealing with knowledge: write it in your background or you don't know jack squat (said in an intense Chris Farley voice).

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Whether the GM decides that there is a box (or is not a box), that decision cannot possibly depend on whether or not the players ask, if the GM is to maintain the illusion of an objective reality.
[MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION] already replied to this, though. Most of the time the GM won't have thought about whether or not there is a box, or broken furniture, or mould on the ceiling, or whatever it is that the player is asking about, until the player asks.

So making a decision does depend on whether or not the player asks.

If the content of the decision is shaped by the player asking, how does that undermine the illusion of an objective reality? From the point of view of the PC, the world simply is what it is.

You, Saelorn, may have a preference that the GM dice in such situations, rather than choose, but that is a fact about you. My own experience tells me that it doesn't generalise universally. I'm not even sure that it is typical.

For a GM to maintain neutrality - for the GM to avoid intentionally empowering or disempowering the players - the decision would need to be based on the GM's prior knowledge of the world, or else it would need to be determined randomly.
I don't really see why I, as a GM, would want to maintain neutrality as you define it. In particular, I typically am looking for ways to "empower" the players ie to frame them into challenges that they have (via their PCs) the resources and inclination to meaningfully confront.

I also don't agree that letting the PCs find the boxes that the players hope will be present significantly "empowers" the players. That depends upon particular assumptions both about how action resolution works, and how scenes are framed.

In a skill challenge-style system, for instance, finding the boxes changes the fiction, and hence the permissible action declarations, but doesn't of itself change the need to achieve N successes before 3 failures. And even if finding the boxes does overcome the challenge at hand, nothing stops the GM framing some new challenge downstream of the box episode.

As for rationing systems, that necessarily invokes meta-game resources.
No. For instance, requiring a skill check with no retries is a form of rationing that doesn't invoke metagame resources. This is how Burning Wheel does most of its rationing.

The other device that BW uses is GM framing: the consequences of failure have to be clear (either stated by the GM, or implicit in the situation). So once the player makes the check, if it fails there is (i) no retry, and (ii) the consequences of failure are now part of the fiction with which the player (and his/her PC) must deal.

An exception to this, in BW, is in combat - where, much like D&D, action economy is used for rationing purposes. Eg declaring a Perception check in order to find a chink in your opponent's armour requires spending an action that might otherwise be spent on something else - so if the check fails, you are worse off because there is no chink and you spent an action simply to confirm the status quo.

pemerton

Legend
I don't allow general knowledge checks.

<snip>

Knowledge skills allowing constant checks for creatures seemed cool at first. Now that I've experienced the effect, any such check has been excised from the game unless I think the player might have some knowledge of the subject such as coming from an area where a creature is common or having a family that might have passed down such information. That is why I expect my players to write a good background that includes the possibility of access to unique information about areas or creatures.
In my 4e game most of the knowledge checks are made by the player of the deva invoker/wizard. Given that a deva has memories of a thousand lifetimes (literally, this is the name of a racial ability), it is very easy to explain how this PC has knowledge of any random fact: he recalls it from one of his past lives!, which go back all the way to the Dawn War.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
In my 4e game most of the knowledge checks are made by the player of the deva invoker/wizard. Given that a deva has memories of a thousand lifetimes (literally, this is the name of a racial ability), it is very easy to explain how this PC has knowledge of any random fact: he recalls it from one of his past lives!, which go back all the way to the Dawn War.

As long as there is a good reason, no matter how fantastical, that is all I care about. As I've stated in other threads, I try to think of things in terms of how would I frame this in a believable fashion if I were writing this tale. If a player comes up with some fiction that fits that criteria, I go with it.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

What I've been doing is making it a single "group roll". Whomever has the skill and/or has the highest bonus is the roller. For every other PC that actually has the skill, +2. For ever PC that doesn't have the skill, +1. If the total additional bonuses due to other PC's hits +6 or greater, then the roll is at advantage in stead (the rollers total bonuses is still used), with an additional +2.

Ex #1: Five PC's all attempt a Knowledge - History check. The DC is 20 (obscure). The Wizard in the group has the highest Skill Rating in it, with +6. One other character has the skill (worth +2), and the other 3 characters each put in their 2 cp's (each worth an additional +1, so +3 more). This gives a "group bonus" of +5. The Wizard rolls at +11 to his check.

Ex #2: Same group as above, but lets say three characters have the skill in addition to the wizard, with only one PC without the skill. Each of the three skilled helpers adds +2, for a +6, and the extra PC adds another +1. The total "group bonus" would be +7...but as that is over +5, I just drop it and let the Wizard roll with Advantage, adding his normal +6 skill rating, +2 for a total of +8.

Why? Simplicity and it keeps the players from "meta-gaming" a bit. They know that once they hit +6 or more, it doesn't matter...so trying to min/max your character to get the highest Stealth, Acrobatics, Investigation, or whatever is only a "character building thing"; whomever has the highest bonus rolls; maybe it's your PC, maybe it isn't. If it isn't, then your PC is only "worth" +2...you don't get to roll your awesome skill check every time it's a "group thing". In particular, I've found it very useful and quick for when the group says "We search the room". I can just have the highest Investigation PC roll, add bonuses for other characters also helping in the search, and be done with it. One roll. As a group. Everyone contributing. If something is found in the room, I roll randomly to determine who 'actually' found it.

Same thing goes with social "combats"...where the PC's are Investigating a crime, or trying to "persuade" a potential employer to front them horses, saddles and tack up front, or trying to Survive a blizzard in a high, cold, mountain pass. It's a group thing now...not a bunch of individuals who all happen to be in the same location trying to do the same thing. It just..feels right, I guess.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the +2 "extra" bonus for breaking +6 to get Advantage.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Last edited:

I don't really see why I, as a GM, would want to maintain neutrality as you define it. In particular, I typically am looking for ways to "empower" the players ie to frame them into challenges that they have (via their PCs) the resources and inclination to meaningfully confront.
If the DM empowers a player beyond the abilities of the character, then the outcome is meaningless. If a clever plan works out, because the DM decided to throw the player a bone, then you won because you're the protagonist in a story and not because of the merits of your plan. Likewise, if the DM arbitrarily blocks the plan, then the plan fails because the DM wanted it to fail, rather than because it really should have failed.

The primary responsibility of the DM is to arbitrate fairly.

In a skill challenge-style system, for instance, finding the boxes changes the fiction, and hence the permissible action declarations, but doesn't of itself change the need to achieve N successes before 3 failures.
There's a reason why the skill-challenge edition failed, and this was one of them. In a role-playing game, the state of the fiction is all that matters, and success or failure are meaningless terms except in how they relate to that fiction. Players have no ability to alter the fiction beyond what their characters possess, or else you are crossing the line between role-playing and story-telling.

If you want to play a story-telling game, then there are plenty to choose from (including that one edition of D&D).

No. For instance, requiring a skill check with no retries is a form of rationing that doesn't invoke metagame resources. This is how Burning Wheel does most of its rationing.
You're really stretching the definition of a rationing system. Actions have consequences, and that's a given. If you fail a jump check, and fall into a pit, then that's not a rationing system; that's just causality.

If you fail to climb out, though, then you fall and take damage (or whatever), but I don't see why you would be unable to try again. What, is your fall supposed to trigger a rock-slide that makes it impassable?

An exception to this, in BW, is in combat - where, much like D&D, action economy is used for rationing purposes. Eg declaring a Perception check in order to find a chink in your opponent's armour requires spending an action that might otherwise be spent on something else - so if the check fails, you are worse off because there is no chink and you spent an action simply to confirm the status quo.
And that's just... weird. The quality of an opponent's armor cannot possibly depend on how good you are at observing that armor, any more so than the existence of a particular item within a particular market can depend upon your ability to find it. There are no words to express how little sense such a system would make.

pemerton

Legend
if the DM inserts elements in the moment, you are no longer dealing with discovering a shared world--you are discovering what's going on in the DMs head.
If the GM writes it up in advance, the players are discovering what went on in the GM's head. Either way, the players are discovering something about the GM's creation, and the GM is not discovering anything - s/he is inventing.

I'm not sure why, from the point of view of exploration, it matters to the players when the GM invented the material that the players are discovering.

The difference is that in the first one the world doesn't exist until the player and DM create it. In the second case, all the creating of the world has already been done.
You haven't explained why timing matters.

If the GM makes it all up on the spot, rather than in advance, it is no less exploration/discovery by the players.

One end of the spectrum:

The DM comes to the table with no world, no story, no statblocks.

One player says, "So my character is from a farm. Where do we..."
DM: The mud of the trail that you leave unconcernedly on your shoes as you enter the Hall of Lords contrasts with the emaculate dress of Lady Howenot, who turns and looks upon your character with disdain.
Player: Why am I here?
DM: That's for you to decide.
Player: "Fair lady, I'm searching for the Riddle of Mentios, perhaps you have heard of it?"
DM: "Are you from Mentios then? I had not thought a peasant from the land of milk cows and beans would have traveled so far only to muddy the elven-made floors of this hall."

<snip>

In this version, everything was made up on the fly by the player and DM.
Is this based on an actual play experience of yours?

Speaking from my own experience, it doesn't look much like any RPGing experience I've had. For instance, the GM is declaring important actions for the PC (eg leaving the trail of muddy footprints); and the distribution of backstory authority between GM and player seems quite unstable. The PC (and his/her players) also seems to lack some knowledge that s/he ought to have, such as how far s/he has travelled.

In my own experience, RPGing that is based on the GM making stuff up is supported by an allocation of roles between GM and player, and some structures to support that - eg the player sends various signals to the GM about the interests/inclinations/adventure desires of his/her PC (and thereby for him-/herself also); there are devices, formal or informal, for the player to introduce content into the shared fiction, etc.

world-features are defined by player/DM declaration on the spot, in response to what is happening at the time, to accomplish specific ends of the players/DMs. They aren't exploring a world, they are creating it.

The other end of the spectrum:

The DM is playing in his version of the the Forgotten Realms. He's made a few general changes, and filled in some details that published material doesn't include.

<snip>

Here the DM is taking everything straight out of Volo's Guide to the North, pages 140-142. That's what the inn is like, and the player gets to explore it in the moment, while the DM began exploring it when he read up on it before hand.
The GM is not exploring any bits that s/he made up.

There is also the oddity that the GM reads the book, and then the player listens to the GM channel bits-and-pieces of that book. Ron Edwards wrote about this process:

Setting therefore becomes a one-step removed education and appreciation project. There’s a big book about the setting. The GM reads the book. Then, the players enjoy the setting, or rather enjoy the GM’s enjoyment of the setting, by using play as a proxy. As one text puts it, the GM is the lens through which the players see the setting. . . .

This kind of play is often called setting-heavy, but as I see it, when playing in this fashion, the goal of having the players enjoy the setting as such is actually at considerable risk. It’s hard to parse the relationship between (1) the story, first as created, then as played; and (2) the setting both as a source for conflicts (“adventures”) and something which might be changed by them. . . . in a way, setting is “everything” for such play in the GM’s mind, but “nothing” for play in the players’. Perhaps this is what leads to those monstrous textual setting histories in the books, with the only people who read them (or care) being their authors and the GMs.​

The GM's creative choices (eg which pages of Volo's Guide catch his/her eye) make a big difference to which bits of the world the players actually get to explore via their PCs.

The key element is that with exploration, you are discovering and interacting with a third entity--the world. You and DM visit the world. With creation, you are interacting with the DM's response to your own immediate choices. You visit the DM's creative thoughts.

<snip>

A premade story is part of the world, so it is explored during play.
"The world" is not a self-subsisting entity. It needs to be authored. If the GM authors it, the players visit his/her creative thoughts - perhaps those of yesterday, rather than today. If the game uses FR, the group instead visits Ed Greenwood's creative thoughts. But someone had to create it. It didn't write itself!

And whether that authoring happens now or already happened, it may have been motivated by an author's sense of story telling. You don't escape exploration of an author's story motivations by buying the story that Ed wrote, rather than having the GM make up the world as s/he goes along. (As you put it in relation to Gygax's city encounter table, "you might say that it is a pre-established element of the world that exciting dangers are going to be there for the PCs." That is a story motivation, and not less of one because it has already been written down in the DMG. I have seen RPG worlds largely devoid of story motivations, but not in D&D products but rather Rolemaster ones)

I had to create some backstory for the Spectator. All of it was created to logically fit the lore given for Spectators in the MM, and the backstory of the mine in the adventure--none of it was created based on what I thought would lead a story in a certain direction.

<snip>

I created the architecture of the temple, the personality and name of the priest, and a variety of details entirely on the fly, informed by the details already established about the world.

<snip>

Exploration where the players interact with pre-established elements of the world as a third entity (including appropriate random tables to fill in details) and in the moment content creation is primarily to fill in fine details (not the same as pre-established material for the purpose of a fair challenge), is a significantly different experience than one in which the world is created by DM and/or players on the fly to fulfill story desires.
I don't understand why, in your final paragraph of this quote, you confine yourself to two of the four possible options you carve out. The pre-authorship can be driven by story considerations (I mentioned several modules upthread that exemplify this, and will add some more: Dead Gods, most Ravenlofte adventures, etc).

Or, as per the examples you gave that I quoted, spontaneous authorship need not be driven by the GM's story motivations, but by other considerations.

In other words, I don't feel that you've explained why timing matters, and your actual play examples seem to show that timing doesn't matter!

There are plenty of us who feel that it matters. There's nothing wrong with not appreciating that difference, but it's kind of annoying to us to be told that it doesn't matter, when it clearly does.
I know there are plenty of players who care if the GM made it up yesterday and wrote it down, or makes it up now. I am doubting, though, that the difference can be that one involves creation and the other doesn't, when in both cases the GM is clearly authoring. I am also denying that, just because the GM makes it up today rather than yesterday, that means the players aren't exploring and/or discovering.

I can think of possible differences, and [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] has pointed to some. But, as I also posted, I think there is a degree of sheer legacy: because pre-authorship was important to Gygaxian play (and especially the way it rations information as part of skilled play), it has been assumed to be important to D&D in general.

Another difference may be that players are more interested in Ed Greenwood's ideas than their GMs'.

if the random roll determines that the player doesn't know the significance of the item, they might want to try to find out the significance. This allows them to explore and interact with the world in a different way than if they had simply had it handed to them--which would be interacting with a DM motivation rather than with the world as a third entity.
If it's good for the players to explore and interact with the world, then why give the roll at all? Just declare that the PCs don't recognise the holy symbol.

This is the same question I asked [MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION] - if something is a good play experience, why are we making a random roll to skip over it?

pemerton

Legend
If the DM empowers a player beyond the abilities of the character, then the outcome is meaningless.

<snip>

The primary responsibility of the DM is to arbitrate fairly.
I thought you were articulating a simulationist agenda - but this only makes sense assuming a certain sort of gamism!

To give an example from actual play: if I, as GM, "empower" a PC to seal off the Abyss if his player is prepared to permanently sacrifice two abilities, plus enough healing surges/hit points to risk death, how is that meaningless? Making the choice expresses the player's willingness to sacrifice his PC's position in the fiction in order to achieve an outcome in the fiction, namely, the sealing off of the Abyss.

In most RPG systems that use or permit relatively open-ended "descriptor"-based action declarations and resolution, there is no divorcing of the abilities of a PC from the GM's inclination towards "empowering".

In a role-playing game, the state of the fiction is all that matters, and success or failure are meaningless terms except in how they relate to that fiction. Players have no ability to alter the fiction beyond what their characters possess, or else you are crossing the line between role-playing and story-telling.
Once again I'm puzzled how you are the authority on what counts as an RPG.

For instance, AD&D uses devices - hit points, saving throws - which are expressly stated to be mechanics that constrain the fiction by reference to success or failure (for instance, a successful poison save might mean that the stinger failed to break the skin, and this narration is acceptable because hit point loss needn't correlate to physical injury). This is no different in basic structure from a skill challenge, and was part of a RPG published in the late 1970s and an immediate descendant of the original RPG.

The passage quoted is also a non-sequitur: if the PC's abilities are determined by natural-language descriptors rather defined in terms that interact with mechanical systems, then there is no way to adjudicate a players' action declaration without thinking about what makes sense in the fiction.

For instance, in the 1st ed PHB there are no mechanics to govern a ranger's ability to survive in the wild, just the class description of being skilled in woodcraft. A player can't declare actions based on this, nor a GM adjudicate them, without having regard to what is permissible within the fiction, and what might or might not make sense.

Moldvay Basic also has an example that seems to contradict your dictates of what is permissible in a RPG: it advises the GM how to adjudicate a player's desire to have his/her PC jump into a chasm in the dungeon, in order to escape certain death from foes, with the hope that a stream below will let the PC survive the fall. The GM wouldn't consider the presence of an underground stream at the bottom of the chasm except for the player's action declaration making it salient.

You're really stretching the definition of a rationing system. Actions have consequences, and that's a given. If you fail a jump check, and fall into a pit, then that's not a rationing system; that's just causality.
You're correct that that's not a rationing system if the game allows climbing out of the pit. (Unless you also take damage, in which case hit points become the rationing device.)

That's why Burning Wheel does not permit retries, and takes a much more robust approach to consequences.

If you fail to climb out, though, then you fall and take damage (or whatever), but I don't see why you would be unable to try again.
The reason you can't try again is because the game system doesn't permit retries. Once you're in the pit, you have to proceed from there.

What counts as a retry depends a bit on context. In my BW game, for instance, when one of the players failed a check to have a character jump from one sailing ship to another, s/he fell in the drink and was out of the action for the rest of the scene (as it was assumed the character dog paddled around until the NPC sailors not involved in the scene could pull him to safety).

So in the context of the pit, the character might climb out, but by the time s/he gets out whatever was interesting/important about getting across it will have already gone down.

"No retries" is also a very old thing in RPGing. AD&D limits retries for a number of thief skills (either no retries, or one per level, for locks and traps).

And that's just... weird. The quality of an opponent's armor cannot possibly depend on how good you are at observing that armor, any more so than the existence of a particular item within a particular market can depend upon your ability to find it.
If you can't spot a chink, then it really makes no difference whether it's there but you can't exploit it, or it's not there at all.

Whether a failed knowledge or perception check in BW determines a metaphysical state of affairs ("no chink") or merely an epistemic one ("no chink observable and hence exploitable by the PC") depends on context. The idea that a knowledge check might determine backstory also goes back at least to AD&D - I quoted the DMG upthread indicating that a successful Read Languages check by a thief indicates that "the language is, in fact, one which the thief has encountered sometime in the past." I don't think many AD&D players have had trouble making sense of this.

In all these cases, rationing is by way of skill checks without retries, rather than by way of metagame mechanics.

I thought you were articulating a simulationist agenda - but this only makes sense assuming a certain sort of gamism!
No, I'm only describing what "counts" in the simulationist sense. The only thing that matters is the thing which would really happen if these events were actually occurring, and it wasn't just a story or a game. If the DM dis/empowers a player, then that might also count as a violation of game rules, but it's only worth mentioning here because it spoils the simulation.

To give an example from actual play: if I, as GM, "empower" a PC to seal off the Abyss if his player is prepared to permanently sacrifice two abilities, plus enough healing surges/hit points to risk death, how is that meaningless?
In this case, because the power derives from your desire for the player to make an interesting choice, rather than from the nature of the world. If anyone else could have made the same decision, even if it was off-screen because it was some NPC that nobody has ever heard of, then you were merely adjudicating the world in a consistent manner - you weren't actually empowering anyone to do anything.

Although that edition makes the matter a bit fuzzy, if the PCs are intended to represent characters who possesses unique abilities within the game world. Such a distinction makes it excessively difficult to determine where the line is drawn.

Once again I'm puzzled how you are the authority on what counts as an RPG.
I am referring to an RPG in the immersion/simulation/roleplaying sense. If you want to expand that definition to include a bunch of other things - like shared-authorship storytelling games - then that's on you, but you shouldn't be surprised to find disagreement.

For instance, AD&D uses devices - hit points, saving throws - which are expressly stated to be mechanics that constrain the fiction by reference to success or failure (for instance, a successful poison save might mean that the stinger failed to break the skin, and this narration is acceptable because hit point loss needn't correlate to physical injury).
I suppose that it's remotely conceivable that you could play AD&D in such a manner, with each saving throw or lost HP giving a chance to inventively narrate how it corresponds to the fiction, but that seems fairly counter-productive and extremely counter-intuitive. Perhaps that was some vestige of story-telling game which was discarded by the time 2E came out.

The reason you can't try again is because the game system doesn't permit retries. Once you're in the pit, you have to proceed from there.
Which is not a reason that derives from the fiction, and is thus meaningless from an immersion/RP standpoint.

But the idea of stakes does solve the conundrum of retries by a bit; it's not that you can't succeed, so much as you can't succeed before something happens to make the check irrelevant. The die roll, in that case, would indicate the aggregate of all attempts during that period. From what I understand, if you weren't chasing someone, then you might keep trying to climb "until it proved fatal", or "until you suffered serious injury". Is that correct? And if so, would the former check be easier than the latter, since it would encompass a greater number of attempts?

"No retries" is also a very old thing in RPGing. AD&D limits retries for a number of thief skills (either no retries, or one per level, for locks and traps).
If I don't know how to build an airplane, then I just don't know it. Maybe I have a 4% chance to build one, right now, but after a sufficient period of evaluation it will come to light that I either do or do not. When I learn more about building airplanes, then perhaps it will be time for another evaluation.

Whether a failed knowledge or perception check in BW determines a metaphysical state of affairs ("no chink") or merely an epistemic one ("no chink observable and hence exploitable by the PC") depends on context.
Except one of those results would be ridiculous. If such a thing does not exist, then that state cannot possibly depend upon your ability to perceive it, such that it would be guaranteed to exist if only you looked hard enough. I guess it's possible that the chance of success is always low enough that there's sufficient room in the failure category to cover both possibilities (e.g. 30% of armors are flawless, so the highest possible chance of finding a flaw is 70%), but that would still leave you with a huge variety of world states which cannot possibly be modeled.

And what if someone else wanted to attempt the same task? Would he or she be bound by the same result? Or could they only possibly succeed if they had a better Perception check than the first person?

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
The first two of these three quotes seem to be making an assumption which is exactly what is being questioned - namely, they seem to assume that rolling Religion is the way to adjudicate the PCs examining a clue.

I've snipped everything else, because that's the crux of it: it's a playstyle choice that says when you examine a religious icon, you resolve that by rolling Religion. Fundamentally, that's it - the reason you roll is because when you take that action the paradigm that has been adopted says that's what to do.

Is that the One True Way to play? No, of course not. Is it the best way to play? Again, no - largely because I reject the notion that there is a 'best' way to play.

But it does have advantages - because it's consistent, the players know what they're doing (I want to check the icon - guess I'd better roll Religion then). It models the fact that even experts do have gaps in their knowledge. And it means that the DM can give graduated responses: either they get no information, or they get partial information, or they get full information. (Or, possibly, they get false information - but I, personally, don't do that. The PCs are quite capable of generating red herrings on their own.)

It does have the weakness that it adds another barrier between the players and the information contained in the clue (because they might fail the roll). But that's handled by adventure design - instead of using a Three Clue Rule, it's better to use a Four or even Five Clue Rule.

(And, yes, in the extreme case it may mean that the PCs might miss every clue. But that's actually a possibility whether you roll or not, just as a routine encounter could result in a TPK if the dice choose to inflict Outrageous Fortune on the PCs. In both cases, you use design to mitigate the risks, but you can't eliminate them entirely.)

Remove ads