D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

Remathilis

Legend
I am sure it was NEVER planed to come out at the same time. Now if the diffrence in time was supposed to only be a month or 6 weeks maybe...but I think they always planed to try to get the collectors to rebuy books
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

HammerMan

Legend
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
I don't think malice or stupidity fits here. Anyone with a slight business knowledge (like HS level) and a passing familiarity with gamers will know there is a non 0 amount of people that want the new book so bad they will rebuy 2 other books in the gift set. Also there are people who own only 1 or 0 of those and they will want updated information... it is just good sense they would do this.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I am sure it was NEVER planed to come out at the same time. Now if the diffrence in time was supposed to only be a month or 6 weeks maybe...but I think they always planed to try to get the collectors to rebuy books
It wasn't. IIRC the boxed set was supposed to come out in November to be a Christmas gift release. I suspect that the individual book would have been available in either late December or January had Wizards been able to release on their preferred schedule.

HammerMan

Legend
It wasn't. IIRC the boxed set was supposed to come out in November to be a Christmas gift release. I suspect that the individual book would have been available in either late December or January had Wizards been able to release on their preferred schedule.
yeah a January date (maybe even already by today) would have made sense.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Wow. That's a ways off. They must really be banking on impatient wealthy gamers buying books they already have.
My grocery store ran out of milk for week. Meat deliveries are inconsistent. A whole section of WA, OR, ID were cut off from the rest of the world for 4 days due to avalanches and snowfall.
Probably all also a conspiracy by Hasbro to get rich completionists to buy books.

So if difference in ability score is not noticeable and doesn't simulate anything, why we have variable ability scores in the first place? I don't get it it, why we have pointless mechanics that do not represent anything and do not do anything noticeable?

Also, you don't need to balance strength with intelligence. You can balance it with dex, other species getting more traits, feats etc.
That is not what I said. But go on...

Of course you can balance an extra +x to strength as explained in the post above. But the way 5e did was the worst of both worlds. Limiting design space by applying +2 Str and +1 Con to strong races leaving nothing for remaining stats. So while smaller people can be intelligent, charismatic, even strong as mountain dwarves, big people can only be strong? So either put more than +3 or 4 total in the mix or take it out. They took it out annd that is fine, adding significant bonuses and balancing it with other thing is fine, but leaving as it was probably not. (I personally don´t care that much actually, but your argument that not giving +2 Str breaks everything needs to be refuted, because it does not and is actually for the better.)

I still think this was a supply chain issue rather than some coordinated effort. All the initial print run ended up in the gift set, and it took a long time to get a second print run for standalone copies out.

I bet after a few drinks, nearly anyone at WotC would admit this was a worst case scenario for print run.
I can also imagine, that since the gift set is not available for dndbeyond, probably the implementation is not that easy. Will you update old content? Will you make it optional? Alternate race entries? Do you have to pay for the new versions?
Not that clear to me. May2022 will give some time to think about it and maybe also roll out some playtests for 5.5e, which might put the changes into more context.

I've seen stranger parties in 2E through 5E. If you get players who just don't really care about balance, either because they're "over it", or just don't get it/care about it, you get parties like that, either entirely or partially.

The difference with the ASI flexibility is that the people who do care about stuff like having a "full power" main stat get to choose as freely as the people who didn't care before.
Honestly past level 5 race don’t make much a difference in 5ed.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
"Trance
  • When you now finish a long rest, this trait allows you to gain two proficiencies that you don't have. Each must be in a weapon or tool of your choice that is in the PHB. These proficiencies last until you take a long rest."
Is it weird that this excludes skills?

Remove ads

Remove ads