D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

Though in all fairness it was you who expressed bewilderment:
So why did you make this about him "getting" it?

The relevant question, I would assume, is: do you now understand his statement, Ungeheuerlich?

Now that I think I understood your first question, sorry that I was a bit slow, I answer. I think he did not get, that I have no problems whatsoever with what he does with his character, as long as all are generally on the same page. Not exploiting rules and such... to explain further, here the problematic post with the most problematic sentence boldened.

It's not the only way of being good at your role, you can do that with even a +1 in your main feature, but it is necessary to be better at your role. If another player is better at their role than you are at yours, that's a problem.

In my opinion he is speaking about two different characters occupying two different roles. Which for me translates to: if the healer is better at healing than my wizard is at dealing damage, then you are doing it wrong (remember: we are speaking about a +2 bonus to a stat/+1 bonus) So is the 16wis-healer's fun lowered, because I chose to only have 14 int and enemies have a 5% better chance to only take half damage from my attack spells or me not hitting 1 in 2p enemies with my fire ray?
As I said: I would never play in a group, where such a competition exist, except maybe, when we played a team tournament using DnD rules.

Last edited:

This is why Rolling sucks as ability generating method.

You roll abilities, then you think what race can salvage/munchkin this set of rolls
Rolled stats is the default assumption about class balance in 5ed. In the Dm guide they also said that one or two levels of difference between PC is fine. We can’t ask for too much balance in a game build with those guidelines.

Horwath

Legend
Rolled stats is the default assumption about class balance in 5ed. In the Dm guide they also said that one or two levels of difference between PC is fine. We can’t ask for too much balance in a game build with those guidelines.

How do you determine ability scores for Adventurer's league?

This is great to see as an official option. My group did this eventually with 4e and suddenly we had people coming up with all kinds of race/class combos that they would have skilled otherwise dues to stats not lining up. Allowing ability mods that match with the desired class lets players focus on the interesting racial features and fluff instead of just matching numbers. Diversity is good.

MGibster

Legend
Pandering is catering to people who want to engage in an immoral or distasteful desire. I can see people finding min-maxing distasteful.

I don't like meatloaf. The food. Meatloaf the singer is and always will be a delight though. And while I don't care for meatloaf, it would be a stretch for me to describe the practice of eating it as distasteful. Unless you're eating Meatloaf, in which case stop, you've proven that you'll do anything for love and there's no need to continue. Some people like to min max, and while it may not be your style of play and it may not be my style of play, if the group as a whole is happy with it then I'm not going to tell anyone what they're doing is distasteful.

But if we were to take the min max argument to it's logical conclusion: Isn't every point buy system pandering to min maxers? I use point buy for attribute generation in D&D and some of my favorite games, Savage Worlds and Gumshoe, are point buy as well. What you see as pandering to mix maxers is what others see as the ability to customize their characters how they wish.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't like meatloaf. The food. Meatloaf the singer is and always will be a delight though. And while I don't care for meatloaf, it would be a stretch for me to describe the practice of eating it as distasteful. Unless you're eating Meatloaf, in which case stop, you've proven that you'll do anything for love and there's no need to continue. Some people like to min max, and while it may not be your style of play and it may not be my style of play, if the group as a whole is happy with it then I'm not going to tell anyone what they're doing is distasteful.

So a few things. First, distasteful means dislike or disgusting, offensive or unpleasant. Food you don't like could fall into that category. Personally, I wouldn't call all foods I don't like distasteful, but some for sure. As an example, I don't like liver, but I wouldn't call it distasteful. Tea on the other hand brings me close to vomiting, and that would clearly fall into the disgusting and unpleasant categories. I find tea distasteful.

Min-maxing is no different. Just because you don't find it to be distasteful, doesn't mean that others don't. Either way, though, nobody should be telling other people that what they are doing is wrong unless they are trying to bring their min-max into a game where it doesn't belong. If I'm at a game convention and I pass a table of min-maxers having a good time, I'm going to think to myself that it's not for me and move along. It's not my place to make a comment. However, if someone tries to bring a min-maxed PC into my game, I'm going to speak up and shut it down. Min-maxing is disruptive in my group.

But if we were to take the min max argument to it's logical conclusion: Isn't every point buy system pandering to min maxers? I use point buy for attribute generation in D&D and some of my favorite games, Savage Worlds and Gumshoe, are point buy as well. What you see as pandering to mix maxers is what others see as the ability to customize their characters how they wish.
Sure. People have different views about things all the time. I don't see it as pandering to min-maxers, but I can see where others might.

Remove ads

Remove ads