• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The line differs between people, though. In some of these recent threads, just picking your race because it gets a +2 to a stat seems to be min-maxing to certain people.

I might draw the line between someone picking a race because it has a +2 bonus to a stat when they don't have anything else guiding them, and someone deciding to discard a character conception they liked because lacking a +2 bonus to a stat makes them too unplayable to bother with.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I might draw the line between someone picking a race because it has a +2 bonus to a stat when they don't have anything else guiding them, and someone deciding to discard a character conception they liked because lacking a +2 bonus to a stat makes them too unplayable to bother with.
Thanks for providing me proof of my theory! Different people, different lines.

jasper

Rotten DM
D&D PCs are meant to be outliers of their race. Maybe the base race is nimble and charismatic, but an adventurer should be able to break the mold.
They have already broke the mold. They are getting the ability changes due to them being adventures. So if race is nimble & charismatic. Adventurers are race x are +1 nimble and +2 charismatic. So so freaking a bother their home town said get out.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Meh. Mountain Dwarves get crap racial features, its why they get the +2/+2 in good abilities. I think I might try a house rule on this, giving each race an ability they need to keep at least a +1 in. Elves can swap, but need a +1 Dex, for example.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Of course rolled stats carry their own problems.

High rolls especially. It basically provides you with free feats (since you no longer need the ASI), making the game even more unbalanced than it already is.
That's true, but the GM can ramp up difficulty as needed (even though it's not always easy), and feats are a heck of a lot more interesting than ASIs.

Remove ads

Remove ads