• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A First Real Look At The Reincarnated 'Into The Borderlands'!

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

The hardcover includes:

· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B1: In Search of the Unknown. Specifically, the second and sixth printings, one featuring the original monochrome cover and the other featuring the later color cover by Darlene.
· Three complete monster and treasure assortments for stocking the dungeons of In Search of the Unknown (which are “un-stocked” in the original 1E edition).
· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically the second and fourth printings. These are distinguished the change in monster stats between the two printings (Dexterity scores were included in early printings). The later printing also features six interior illustrations that were not present in earlier printings.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of In Search of the Unknown, including tables for stocking it with creatures.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for the Caverns of Quasqueton, all inspired by references in the original work.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for The Keep on the Borderlands, all inspired by references in the original work.
· Appendices with 5E stats for newly introduced monsters, hirelings and followers, and magic items.
· A chapter of introductions and testimonials.

You can read the full interview with Chris Doyle on Goodman Games site.

ITB_COver.JPG

gg2.jpg

gg3.jpg

gg4.jpg

gg5.jpg

gg6.jpg

gg7.jpg

gg8.jpg

gg9.jpg

gg10.jpg

PyroArrow

Explorer
In terms of the contents of the book, the only head scratcher upon first glance, is the Lonely Tower which looks like it was built by Gnomes.

Why it does not look like the Tower as depicted on the back of the B1 Cover is beyond me.

Maybe, they were trying to make it look like fungus, due to the fungus garden. Don't know why they were thinking cute instead of realistic as depicted on the back cover.

I myself had made the tower 65 feet tall and mapped it using Dungeonographer. I also added in the Shy Tower from "Return to, TKotB" in my game and it looks the same.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I was going to order a copy from the goodman games website but found when I went that it had sold out. That's good news to hear so it was received well enough to sell out and they are going to do a 2nd printing.

PyroArrow

Explorer
I was going to order a copy from the goodman games website but found when I went that it had sold out. That's good news to hear so it was received well enough to sell out and they are going to do a 2nd printing.

Hopefully, they will get a better quality print run out of the 2nd printing and thus print more than they did for the first!

BMaC

Adventurer
I received my copy two days ago. Couldn't be happier with it. The 'updated' maps are lean and crisp. I'll photocopy these to use when running the adventures. The short essays are a great read too. Mearls reveals his pet peeve was that nobody in the Keep was named (I always thought this was so that the DM could name them)--I guess this explains why Xanathar's has a dozen pages of name generation tables

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
I picked up my copy at my FLGS on Friday, and spent a good couple of hours pouring over it Saturday morning. This is a lovely, lovely homage to the roots of D&D and well worth the 'price of admission' as they say. (I paid $55 CAD.) They did a clever job of connecting the 5E B1 to the 5E B2 so a mini campaign is possible too! Lots of new 5E monster stats - oh look! A thoul! :)

thundershot

Adventurer
I have mine and even though I haven't gone through all of it, I like it enough that, more than ever, I want them to do Isle of Dread next (maybe with Castle Amber too). I'd love to see that module expanded upon...

The only thing I'm a little annoyed with its the bleed ( not sure if that's the correct term) means that the text is too close to the spine in the centre of each set of pages

The big number one on the cover I hope means this is the first of many!

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Isle of Dread just screams for this treatment. It has tons of possibilities for expansion when converted to 5e.

I'll just say it. I'd also like to see them do this with ToEE, but know that will never happen.

Well, slightly more likely than the original Castle Greyhawk I guess...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads