• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A First Real Look At The Reincarnated 'Into The Borderlands'!

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

The hardcover includes:

· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B1: In Search of the Unknown. Specifically, the second and sixth printings, one featuring the original monochrome cover and the other featuring the later color cover by Darlene.
· Three complete monster and treasure assortments for stocking the dungeons of In Search of the Unknown (which are “un-stocked” in the original 1E edition).
· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically the second and fourth printings. These are distinguished the change in monster stats between the two printings (Dexterity scores were included in early printings). The later printing also features six interior illustrations that were not present in earlier printings.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of In Search of the Unknown, including tables for stocking it with creatures.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for the Caverns of Quasqueton, all inspired by references in the original work.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for The Keep on the Borderlands, all inspired by references in the original work.
· Appendices with 5E stats for newly introduced monsters, hirelings and followers, and magic items.
· A chapter of introductions and testimonials.

You can read the full interview with Chris Doyle on Goodman Games site.

ITB_COver.JPG

gg2.jpg

gg3.jpg

gg4.jpg

gg5.jpg

gg6.jpg

gg7.jpg

gg8.jpg

gg9.jpg

gg10.jpg

ctorus

Explorer
I guess I'm just different than you are. I see the above as a huge waste of resources and time.

ditto. Given that these two modules must be amongst the most widely owned by older players and easiest to get hold of today for new players (both in their original form and in pdf), I fail to see the rationale for the majority of this product. Give us a richly updated 5e conversion, even for the same price, and I'd be interested.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Being really clear because I don't think I'm being quoted in context with my intentions regarding the book/project.

- I'm happy that we have a 5e conversion. That's worth asking price.
- I don't really care if any of the source material in terms of maps or grammar in the originals is corrected.
- I also don't care if the grammar or maps in the conversion are updated or correct.

The important thing for me with a retelling is that you get the feel of the original in the conversion. I expect that given my personal standards for quality that I'm going to have to tweak/edit/entirely redo sections of material prior to using it in a game, simply because I know what my players find to be fun.

There's always going to be a translation prior to using any published material at my table, so I'm not sweating that.

Therefore, I'm not aligning with the "It must be perfect" crowd. Nothing would ever be published in that case.

Thanks and be well
KB

ctorus

Explorer
Being really clear because I don't think I'm being quoted in context with my intentions regarding the book/project.

- I'm happy that we have a 5e conversion. That's worth asking price.
- I don't really care if any of the source material in terms of maps or grammar in the originals is corrected.
- I also don't care if the grammar or maps in the conversion are updated or correct.

The important thing for me with a retelling is that you get the feel of the original in the conversion. I expect that given my personal standards for quality that I'm going to have to tweak/edit/entirely redo sections of material prior to using it in a game, simply because I know what my players find to be fun.

There's always going to be a translation prior to using any published material at my table, so I'm not sweating that.

Therefore, I'm not aligning with the "It must be perfect" crowd. Nothing would ever be published in that case.

Thanks and be well
KB

Apologies - didn't mean to misrepresent you.

I agree regarding the need to perfect or correct the originals; I'd just go one step further and say that since we already have access to unimproved copies of them, putting more copies in this book is pointless. I also think that a minimal 5e conversion, as this seems to be, is not worth the asking price. I could do that myself using the conversion guidelines WoTC produced.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Apologies - didn't mean to misrepresent you.

I agree regarding the need to perfect or correct the originals; I'd just go one step further and say that since we already have access to unimproved copies of them, putting more copies in this book is pointless. I also think that a minimal 5e conversion, as this seems to be, is not worth the asking price. I could do that myself using the conversion guidelines WoTC produced.

No need to apologize. The threaded nature of the forum posting causes the problem, not the poster.

I agree with your sentiments, especially the minimalistic conversion if that be what it is (I've not seen the book yet).

However, I'll add that even though the original modules may be available there are many folks that don't trust third party sellers. I'd purchase this instead of having to do the ebay or amazon thing unless I found an FLGS that had them available.

Be well
KB

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Just got my copy in the mail today. First impressions, with this discussion thread in my head as I paged through it.

TL;DR SUMMARY

The 5e conversion and map remakes are nice and I would like to have had the remake, the preface articles, and the map and cover gallery in one book without complete facsimiles of each edition of the originals. That would satisfy my nolstalgia AND make for a nice playable set of modules for use at the table. As it is, it is more for collectors and libraries. I'm glad I bought it, but because of the price point and redundant content, most DMs will probably skip it.

DETAILS

1. It is a quality, well-bound book that I will be happy to put on my shelves.

This is important to me, because I've culled down my books to just nice quality books that look and feel good, or books that are important to me but I'm unable to get in an electronic format, or books with personal importance. The rest I have on Kindle or Comixology. This book, however, deserves a spot on my bookshelf. While not a "desk book", it is certainly a good library book.

2. Great fun to page through, but that's all I'll do with 1/2 the content.

Much/most of the book is a high-quality scan of the original modules--actually multiple copies where there are different editions. If I run it, it will be the 5e version. I doubt I'll ever get the original rules to run the original modules.

3. Think academic print for college libraries and collectors, rather than casual games.

This feels like those books that reprint multiple versions of a piece of great literature. E.g., in the original language, an older translation, and the author's new and improved translation with prefaces from one or more luminaries in the field discussing the important of the work, their experiences with it, and lauding the new translation. Paging through this book takes me back to my undergrad years, poring over books like this for a philosophy, literature, or history class.

It may seem strange to compare this book to an academic work, but that is the best way to describe it. And it isn't much of a stretch. There has been a gradual increase in scholarship around gaming in general and TTRPGs and D&D specifically. This would be the kind of book that any serious scholars of the subject might have in their libraries.

But this seems like a very small niche for Goodman Games to focus on.

4. I would rather have just the 5e material in a slimmer book à la Yawning Portal

I worry that the price point and redundant content for an older set of rules are going to really limit sales of this book. That's too bad. The Yawning Portal did quite well. Goodman Games should either have completely revamped the originals with modern color maps and the like, as WotC did with the modules in The Yawning Portal OR keep much of the feel and most of the art work of the original, with some moderate updates and additions. Either way, they could keep the excellent preface articles and a few pages comparing and discussing the original covers, etc. I think that would appeal to older players' nolstalgia, while also attracting new players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the book and I don't mind the cost. But most players are going to pass on this I think.

5. Preface articles are what you'd expect and nice to have

I really like the preface articles by Luke Gygax and Mike Mearles. I'm looking forward to reading the others, especially the Mike Carr interview. It is a nice touch to include. It would have been nice if The Yawning Portal could have included something like this.

6. A PDF wouldn't cut it for the book as a whole, but there should be a PDF of the 5e section

I have PDFs of the Caves of Chaos and have used it, heavily modified, as a location in my home campaign. Actually, I took the PDF and put it into RealmWorks. If you think of this book as just another set of modules to run, you are not getting it. This is a labor of love printed to be paged through by nolstalgic fingers. It isn't the same in an e-reader--it is not meant to be read like a novel. A PDF is a bit closer, but it is mean to be flipped through. To have the experience of paging through the original content in a similar format to how they were printed, while also having a gamable version in the new edition. This is why many DMs will not like it. The would prefer just the 5e section in PDF or print. That would be more functional. This is not the most functional format for running the modules.

Goodman Games should offer the 5e section as one or two PDFs. I'm guessing that their license from WotC prohibits digital formats. That's too bad. After spending $50, it would be nice to have a free or discounted PDF of the updated 5e section for use at table.

7. About the cover maps...

Yes, everything other posters warned about cover maps is true. They are not practical for running the game. That's missing the point. The maps are decoration. A nice nostalgic touch. They have an entire appendix at the end that is a gallery of covers and maps in color. Unfortunately, the map for the caves of chaos is printed across two pages and muc is lost in the crease. I can find this map easy enough in the DMs guild, but it would be nice if this were a fold out map.

8. ...and the inline 5e maps

The reworked black-and-white maps in the 5e section are nice, crisp, and will photocopy well, INCLUDING THE CAVES OF CHAOS. So, that's the answer to complaints of the cover map and the map-gallery map of the original. The remad caves of chaos map on page 290 fits on one page and is still easier for my old eyes to read than the facimiles of the original blue-and-white maps.

My feeling at this point is that I'm glad I have the book, but it will not be for most people. Still, I hope it sells well enough for Goodman Games to continue to bring older material to 5e.

PyroArrow

Explorer
Oh my gosh, I'm sure, other DM"s like me, have the books but they are getting worn out and falling apart, so having this would be cool so you do not have to wear them out farther. (Yes, i have the PDF of both as well).

Yes, it would be cool of Goodman Games to release it as a PDF or perhaps some sort of Supplemental PDF of semi-realistic maps, the artwork and tokens and perhaps farther encounters and tie-ins to other modules, for VTT use on Roll20/Fantasy Ground or for printing out for real tabletop play.

Also would be cool if they would make a UV coated 'detachable cover' DM screen for the book, with reinforced folds, with B1/B2 images on the front and Maps on the DM side, that could wrap around the book or just be a separate thing.

Also do not forget that Game Nerdz is getting the book and selling it for $34.97!
https://www.gamenerdz.com/original-adventures-reincarnated-1-into-the-borderlands-preorder

Last edited by a moderator:

[MENTION=75229]PyroArrow[/MENTION], what your relationship to Gamenerdz? Cause that the third time in the last couple of pages of this thread alone you have linked them. Really no need to keep spamming us with the same info over and over again.

PyroArrow

Explorer
Ha ha! Yea i know, see it seems a lot of folks do not bother to look back in the threads and keep complaining about the price so I post about the cheaper one from that other site, of which i have no affiliation with!

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads