• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A First Real Look At The Reincarnated 'Into The Borderlands'!

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

The hardcover includes:

· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B1: In Search of the Unknown. Specifically, the second and sixth printings, one featuring the original monochrome cover and the other featuring the later color cover by Darlene.
· Three complete monster and treasure assortments for stocking the dungeons of In Search of the Unknown (which are “un-stocked” in the original 1E edition).
· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically the second and fourth printings. These are distinguished the change in monster stats between the two printings (Dexterity scores were included in early printings). The later printing also features six interior illustrations that were not present in earlier printings.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of In Search of the Unknown, including tables for stocking it with creatures.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for the Caverns of Quasqueton, all inspired by references in the original work.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for The Keep on the Borderlands, all inspired by references in the original work.
· Appendices with 5E stats for newly introduced monsters, hirelings and followers, and magic items.
· A chapter of introductions and testimonials.

You can read the full interview with Chris Doyle on Goodman Games site.

ITB_COver.JPG

gg2.jpg

gg3.jpg

gg4.jpg

gg5.jpg

gg6.jpg

gg7.jpg

gg8.jpg

gg9.jpg

gg10.jpg

PyroArrow

Explorer
Yea, I hope to see more as well but really I wish they were not just scans in the first half of the book. Please rebuild them, from the ground up, (restore missing/censored content, fix grammar and spelling errors, Clean up/fix artwork, fix maps etc), in modern desktop publishing apps, like affinity designer, Microsoft publisher or InDesign (if you don't mind throwing your money away to adobe).

Last edited by a moderator:

Yea, I hope to see more as well but really I wish they were not just scans in the first half of the book. Please rebuild them, from the ground up, (restore missing/censored content, fix grammar and spelling errors, fix maps etc), in modern desktop publishing apps, like affinity designer, Microsoft publisher or InDesign (if you don't mind throwing your money way to adobe).
But that would take months to do!

Oh wait, this one took what? A year? Maybe it was just a part time effort from a single person?

Actually, that's partly disingenuous. Even what they did takes a significant amount of time. I too wish it was a true reincarnation, not just a re-print and conversion.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Yea, I hope to see more as well but really I wish they were not just scans in the first half of the book. Please rebuild them, from the ground up, (restore missing/censored content, fix grammar and spelling errors, Clean up/fix artwork, fix maps etc), in modern desktop publishing apps, like affinity designer, Microsoft publisher or InDesign (if you don't mind throwing your money away to adobe).

I'm happy if none of this is done. I'm admittedly a purist.

My only noonah would be censored/missing content if you're already doing the conversion. That said, it depends why its been removed in the first place. If there's a copyright issue (Deities and Demigods anyone?) then leave it out. Same with ethics issues.

Spelling, maps, grammar - whatever. I already game with a table of players with horrible penmanship and questionable ability to write, they're still great players. I'd argue the module is more alive by showing its blemishes.

PyroArrow

Explorer
I'm happy if none of this is done. I'm admittedly a purist.

My only noonah would be censored/missing content if you're already doing the conversion. That said, it depends why its been removed in the first place. If there's a copyright issue (Deities and Demigods anyone?) then leave it out. Same with ethics issues.

Spelling, maps, grammar - whatever. I already game with a table of players with horrible penmanship and questionable ability to write, they're still great players. I'd argue the module is more alive by showing its blemishes.

Ok, you have you archival clean copy of the original but still you would have the meticulously fixed up version from scratch, then you would have the version with the conversion to the latest edition with brand new content, is how it could be done. Goodman games basically does this but simply do all of the updating in the 5E version is all, that is they skipped on cleaning up the Basic D&D version.

RobertBrus

Explorer
While I have an original copy, played out "lo these many years ago," and don't have a need to purchase another version, a recopy is not a bad idea. It can still make for a good starting point for those new to GM'ing/world creating. And for you "youngsters" out there, it can be interesting and useful to get a sense of where it started, and the intentions of the original founders. Though the price point I have seen is a bit off putting.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Ok, you have you archival clean copy of the original but still you would have the meticulously fixed up version from scratch, then you would have the version with the conversion to the latest edition with brand new content, is how it could be done. Goodman games basically does this but simply do all of the updating in the 5E version is all, that is they skipped on cleaning up the Basic D&D version.

I guess I'm just different than you are. I see the above as a huge waste of resources and time.

lordstimpy

Explorer
I preorderd the book just last week from official site, and it has already shipped. So if you want it now, I guess they are shipping.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads