A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

pemerton

Legend
In 4e a +6 Battleforged God Plate Armour gives you +20 to your AC (so base AC 30) which is much less then an Ancient Red Dragons AC of 48.
I've played a lot of epic tier 4e. PC ACs are in the same general vicinity as monsters. I think yiour calculation of the +6 Armour AC is not factoring in the level bonus. (Eg the 30h level paladin PC in my game wears plate armour and carries a shield and has an AC of 47; the scale-wearing fighter has an AC of 45.)

pemerton

Legend
It does not need to make sense. It is merely a means of scaling up the combat difficulty of a tough monster.
I've got no objection to scaling. What makes no sense to me is that attempt to overlay the veneer of simulation - by calling the upscaling "natural armour" rather than (say) a level bonus.

I appreciate that not everyone has these issues with 3E - it's quite a popular system. But they are significnat contributors to my dislike of it.

pemerton

Legend
There's always going to be some things in the game (any system) that flat-out don't or can't match reality, and I think almost everyone accepts this. Examples: hit points; fireballs.
What part of Cthulhu Dark doesn't match reality? (I've linked to the system, which you can read before answering: it's free and very short.)

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I've played a lot of epic tier 4e. PC ACs are in the same general vicinity as monsters. I think yiour calculation of the +6 Armour AC is not factoring in the level bonus. (Eg the 30h level paladin PC in my game wears plate armour and carries a shield and has an AC of 47; the scale-wearing fighter has an AC of 45.)

If your only restriction is getting an AC over a Dragons AC then you can do that in every edition of DnD once you start adding up Armour, Shield, Dex, Magic, Feats.

But that is not what you wanted though, you wanted an Armour that was better then a Dragons Armour.

Why can a mage or godling not forge armour that is as tough as the "natural" hide of a dragon? This is possible in AD&D, and in 4e, but not in 3E. What is going on with dragons in the fiction of that edition?

To me it makes no sense at all.

This was your original question.

Do you understand how you shifted the goalposts?

pemerton

Legend
If your only restriction is getting an AC over a Dragons AC then you can do that in every edition of DnD once you start adding up Armour, Shield, Dex, Magic, Feats.

But that is not what you wanted though, you wanted an Armour that was better then a Dragons Armour.
The paladin I mentioned has no source of AC besides his armour and shield. And it is on a par with a dragon.

pemerton

Legend
This was your original question.

Do you understand how you shifted the goalposts?
In AD&D and in 4e a character who wears the best possible armour can have an AC on a par with a dragon. I posted a 4e example of this just above.

In 3E a character can't have a +30 bonus to AC from armour. (I'm not having regard to the epic rules in making that claim. The epic rules for 3E are, in my experience, widely criticised, and the post upthread indicates that by the time an epic character has armour that will grant a bonus to AC comparable to a great wyrm dragon, s/he will be of a level that makes great wyrm dragons irrelevant in play.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases