D&D 5E A half-elven question for the lore masters

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
As the title says, i need help from the people that have read much more material then me regarding DnD lore and possibly Forgotten Realms.

I have a concept for a half elf PC, that is a son of two half elves. His father was a son of a half elf and drow, and his mother was a daughter of an elven man and a human woman. But i have trouble imagining this PC physical attributes and appearance. Is this pairing possible? And will it result in a half elf? And what would a child of human-drow half elf and human-elf half elf look like?

I know conventional half drow usually have silvery hair and darker skin colors, but this goes a bit beyond that, i think. Thanks in advance.....

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
A child resulting from the union of two Half-elves is not necessarily a Half-elf. Only 50% of offspring from such unions are Half-elves, 25% are Human, and 25% are Elves. You can choose whichever race best fits your concept.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Father is half-elf/drow...sooo...
.5 Drow
.25 Human
.25 Elf

Mother is straight up half-elf...so that's...
.5 Human
.5 Elf

Math wise, then, we have...
.375 Human
.375 Elf
.25 drow

Going off of basic "punnett squares" genetics...that makes...
You have a chance of having a/some drow trait, and definitely have human and/or elfin traits.

Chances are (50%, I think), you look just like a normal [light skinned or whatever you human ancestor's skin was] Half-elf, maybe with a single "drowish" trait...like silver hair or amethyst or red eyes.

You'd then have a 25% chance of being visually passable as fully Human (that is, you'd get all the half-elf traits, but not be identifiable as half-elf, except to elves, Elros). A 25% chance of being visually passable as fully elfin (that is, you'd get all of the half-elf traits, but not be identifiable as half-elf, except to elves, Elrond).

Last edited:

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
A child resulting from the union of two Half-elves is not necessarily a Half-elf. Only 50% of offspring from such unions are Half-elves, 25% are Human, and 25% are Elves. You can choose whichever race best fits your concept.

(Are we talking lore wise, or genetics wise?)

If going by genetics i guess the tree would be:
1. generation: Half-Elf + Drow = 50% Half-Drow or 50% Elf-Drow
2. generation
a. Half-Drow + Half-Elf = 25% Human or 25% Half-Elf or 25% Half-Drow or 25% Drow-Elf;
b. Elf-Drow + Half-Elf = 25% Half-Drow or 25% Drow-Elf or 25% Half-Elf or 25% Elf

?

Or do Forgotten Realms follow different logic? Are there dominant "genes"? Or dominant racial features?

Thanks. That is quite a detailed elaboration and quite helpful :)

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
:D
Wait... You aren't being serious, are you? :hmm:

Moi? Serious? D&D is for fun.

It's your character, you make him up how you like. Scope for an great backstory, though. What background will he have?

His human grandfather abandoned his grandmother and she never forgave him. He's probably long-dead by now but the grandmother blames your PC anyway for being male ("all men are like your grandfather") and this makes him defensive. He over-compensates for his insecurity by becoming a brash and reckless adventurer. He has a "thing" about female trees, which could be interesting if you make him a druid.

Something like that. Go wild. He's your character.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
A child of human/drow half elf and human/nondrow-elf half elf is a half elf.

It would look like a half elf with 1 drow feature (skin, hair, or eyes).

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
A child of human/drow half elf and human/nondrow-elf half elf is a half elf.

It would look like a half elf with 1 drow feature (skin, hair, or eyes).

Yes it would. But that's not what we're working with here.

The question posed is for a human/non-drow half-elf + a normal half-[human/non-drow elf]-elf/drow...I guess that would make it a 3/4 elf. heh.

Bottom line though, as someone has mentioned, is...it's D&D (and the Forgotten Realms to boot)...the character can look like anything you want them too.

Remove ads