D&D 5E A half-elven question for the lore masters

Albino (sunlight sensitive) human with darkvision and elven language skills. Almond shaped eyes but stockier human build. Maybe give him the CHA thing from half elf.
Basically, your man from Bros in that Hellboy movie, just a human (with all the stat pluses it comes with).

Dausuul

Legend
The question posed is for a human/non-drow half-elf + a normal half-[human/non-drow elf]-elf/drow...I guess that would make it a 3/4 elf. heh.
Actually, it's a 5/8-elf. The father was a 3/4-elf (or, to be exact, a half-drow-quarter-elf) and the mother was a regular half-elf.

Is this pairing possible?

Sure.

And will it result in a half elf?
According to my recollection, the way it worked in past editions was that any human/elf mixture was considered human if it was less than 50% elf, and half-elf if it was 50% or more. Don't know if 5E has an official ruling on the subject.

And what would a child of human-drow half elf and human-elf half elf look like?
Take the description of a standard half-elf and the description of a half-drow. Mix and match to taste.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
1. Actually, it's a 5/8-elf. The father was a 3/4-elf (or, to be exact, a half-drow-quarter-elf) and the mother was a regular half-elf.

[/COLOR]
2.According to my recollection, the way it worked in past editions was that any human/elf mixture was considered human if it was less than 50% elf, and half-elf if it was 50% or more. Don't know if 5E has an official ruling on the subject.

Take the description of a standard half-elf and the description of a half-drow. Mix and match to taste.

1. Yep

2. Nothing official in the 5E books i've read so far, but i don't have the SCAG or the Out of the Abyss, where there might be more detailed Drow features/rules described.

Albino (sunlight sensitive) human with darkvision and elven language skills. Almond shaped eyes but stockier human build. Maybe give him the CHA thing from half elf.
Basically, your man from Bros in that Hellboy movie, just a human (with all the stat pluses it comes with).

Sounds like an interesting character to play, but it just feels too Drow for a 2nd generation. I would have surely considered it for a first generation though.

S'mon

Legend
So he's nearly 2/3 elf (inc drow)...

I'd make him a half-elf with maybe platinum hair, violet eyes, or slightly dark complexion. But he could also be full-elf given that drow are an elf subrace.

jrowland

First Post
He doesn't have to look like he has drow blood...

An over-inflated sense of narcissistic superiority could be his Personality...
or
"I am the center of the universe" could be his Flaw...
or
A House Insignia Brooch (Oblodra) could be his Bond...
or
Racial Purity could be his Ideal...
or
All of the above

Do the same for Human and Elf, and pick one from each...seriously, the background RP is where you will "Show" what your racial heritage is, not some silly superficial description.

jrowland

First Post
I always thought the Drow arrogance was more of a cultural thing then a genetic one.

In the PC western world, you are likely right. But in a Fantasy world where the rule is usually "DROW! KILL IT!" I'll stick with genetics. Otherwise we go down the rabbit hole of murder-hobos waging a genocide on various races (orcs, mind flayers, drow, to name a few). Nothing wrong with that sort of gray-area campaign, but I think the default assumption (in FR) is Drow are inherently evil. Even Salvatore has had his special-snowflake-who-shall-not-be-named flirt with his own inner demons. Usually, however, that character is is the exception that proves the rule. But even then, while he has a lot of emo-angst about his bloodline and tries very hard to do the right thing, he does seem to be the center of attention. Talk about upstaging! Even when he's saving people, he does it...better...(I am kidding, but if you squint it looks true that he has a narcissistic superiority complex :p)

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
Well, he's paternal grandmother was neutral evil :p
Really, she was. But not the idiot, stupid evil. Either because she needed help tp survive on the surface or because of genuine gratitude, she did over time form bonds with several surfacers (aside from her mate). Yes, self preservation was always her prime goal, and any feelings of love and friendship she felt might were probably possessive and selfish, but never the less, over time she leaned more an more towards neutral then evil. A good part in this was probably played by the fact that she was a "broken" Drow. Her exile has left her alone, without allies and with broken confidence.

As for my PC, he is a 1/4 Drow, yes , but he has also willingly chosen to follow Eilistraee as a symbol of Drow redemption and hope for cooperation of all living beings. So, i don't know how that would fit with the narcissistic Drow nature. I can however envision him being somewhat smug and over confident in his abilities.

Remove ads