A Look At The D&D Acquisitions Inc. Book

D&D Beyond has a look at the upcoming Acquisitions, Inc. D&D sourcebook, scheduled for a June 18th release date.

book_aidnd05.jpg

Details include:
  • Authors: Shawn Merwin, Teos “Alphastream” Abadia, and Scott Fitzgerald Grey.
  • Archetypes: cartographer, decisionist, documancer, hoardsperson, loremonger, obviator, occultant, secretarian.
  • New race: Verdan.
  • A complete adventure.
  • Monster & NPC stat blocks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's rather silly for 5th edition. However, this is a supplemental product, which probably won't receive a very wide release.

I don't think the style will go beyond this product, but given the massive fan base for the show, I reckon this will receive a pretty huge release...

Brashnir2

First Post
There's a description in the linked article.

This book is looking pretty good. Maybe even better than the disappointing Xanathar's Guide when it comes to player options and other crunch.

Xanathar's is diasppointing? This seems like the most insane take I have seen on this or any forum.

Mercador

Adventurer
I'm super glad this is a thing (already pre-ordered). I have always struggled with how seriously some material and DMs treat the game. Some people prefer grim dark drama, others want to laugh a bit at the absurdity of existence.

Yeah, maybe you are right. But I would rather prefer a complete game of goofy stuff (like Munchkin), not only one supplement book that doesn't fit with the rest of the 5nd edition. It feels kind of awkward.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
Yeah, maybe you are right. But I would rather prefer a complete game of goofy stuff (like Munchkin), not only one supplement book that doesn't fit with the rest of the 5nd edition. It feels kind of awkward.

I think the idea that it doesn't fit with 5th edition is a personal bias. Acquisitions inc. has been fitting with 5e in multiple fan loved podcasts for years. They are cannon in multiple D&D products, including FR novels and video games.
While their shows and products often contain jokes, I do not personally see them as goofy in a munchkin way. We have people that make light of dangerous situations and their occupations in the real world, so why should adventurer's not do the same? Most groups do in my experience. They are not suitable for Ravenloft or Game of Thrones level grim dark stories, but should be fine for most games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the idea that it doesn't fit with 5th edition is a personal bias. Acquisitions inc. has been fitting with 5e in multiple fan loved podcasts for years. They are cannon in multiple D&D products, including FR novels and video games.
While their shows and products often contain jokes, I do not personally see them as goofy in a munchkin way. We have people that make light of dangerous situations and their occupations in the real world, so why should adventurer's not do the same? Most groups do in my experience. They are not suitable for Ravenloft or Game of Thrones level grim dark stories, but should be fine for most games.

The art style also fits well with what has been done in D&D comics for years now, with Mins & Pals.

Kurotowa

Legend
I see D&D is becoming a parody of itself.

Tinker gnomes and their flying ships powered by giant space hamsters spinning giant hamster wheels.

Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar hold regular parties at Ed Greenwood's house where they swap rumors and spells.

The "dungeon" in the mountains is a crashed spaceship full of robots and aliens.

Dungeons & Dragons the cartoon series. Just, everything about it.

Every joke monster like the Nilbog (even not counting April issues of Dragon magazine).

D&D was never 100% serious, and I bet if we had transcripts of your home game we'd find plenty of jokes and meta-references peppering it. No reason not to have the very occasional source book that leans into it, especially if it does double duty as material that can be run more seriously.

Mercador

Adventurer
I wasn't talking of Acquisitions Inc, I was talking about the art style of Penny-Arcade in a D&D book.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases