A major compliment to Peter Jackson and his interpretation of Galadriel

tleilaxu

First Post
OK, Aragorn might not have known what Gandalf's plan was, but he assumed that he would stay with the ring-bearer because Aragorn's plan had always been to return to Minas Tirith with Boromir, which he would not have done had Frodo not buggered off.

AND BTW!!!!!!! Unless I SAY I am talking about the MOVIES, I am talking about the BOOKS. The movies, while enjoyable, cannot be considered as any evidence whatsoever when discussing arcane geekdom as we are. :)

Umbran said:

I don't recall the movie well enough to be sure, but I expect this is incorrect. In the book, Aragorn didn't know what Gandalf's plan was - from the LotR, Book II, Chapter 8, Farewell to Lorien:

"We have not decided out course," said Aragorn. "Beyond Lothlorien I do not know what Gandalf indended to do. Indeed I do not think that even he had any clear purpose."

bertman4

First Post
I'm with Piratecat. Gladriel's temptation, along with Bilbo's reunion with Frodo, is my least favorite scenes in LotR. The One Ring has a subtle effect on people (elves, dwarves and hobbits included). It does not transform them instantly into things of horros. The special effects were not necessary IMHO. Both Ian Holmes and Kate Blanchett are extremely capable actors who should have been allowed to "act" the part. Ian Holmes especially had been doing a terrific job throughout the movie and I really disliked the cheesy special effects they used.

Bertman

Staffan

Legend
bertman4 said:
I'm with Piratecat. Gladriel's temptation, along with Bilbo's reunion with Frodo, is my least favorite scenes in LotR. The One Ring has a subtle effect on people (elves, dwarves and hobbits included). It does not transform them instantly into things of horros. The special effects were not necessary IMHO. Both Ian Holmes and Kate Blanchett are extremely capable actors who should have been allowed to "act" the part. Ian Holmes especially had been doing a terrific job throughout the movie and I really disliked the cheesy special effects they used.
Ah, but at least in the case of Galadriel, I don't think the transformation was done by the ring. In the books, mighty elves seem to have the ability to take on a sort of "seeming of might" - Glorfindel does something similar when he scares away the Ring-Wraiths (it's been a while since I read the books, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details). Galadriel's "seeming" might have been triggered by her temptation, but the ring was not the source.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Staffan said:

Ah, but at least in the case of Galadriel, I don't think the transformation was done by the ring. In the books, mighty elves seem to have the ability to take on a sort of "seeming of might" - Glorfindel does something similar when he scares away the Ring-Wraiths (it's been a while since I read the books, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details). Galadriel's "seeming" might have been triggered by her temptation, but the ring was not the source.

Actually, Glorfindel didn't "do" anything; the Nazgul simply could see him as he was - a bright, shining light, a mighty elf-lord. What this meant was that he was powerful in both the real world and the spirit world. That's why Frodo could also see him clearly when he had on the One Ring. The Nazgul existed almost entirely in the spirit world, so they saw Glorfindel very clearly, much more clearly than any of the mortals or lesser elves they normally could see, and recognized him as one of their ancient enemies. Matter of fact, the leader of the Nazgul, the Witch-king, had seen his armies defeated by Glorfindel long ago.

Galadriel was sorely tempted, but I think what Frodo and Sam saw was Galadriel's true power - augmented by the Elven Ring she wore - being revealed to them. For a moment they saw her as she was on the other side - a mighty Elf-lady of a house of princes (to paraphrase Gandalf).

Remove ads