A pair of numbers-based issues: how do you all handle them?

Akira Whitlock

Explorer
All dnd 5e status effects are lumped together under advantage/disadvantage.
In pf 2e there are 40 ish status effects.
In 5e level 20 characters would have 5 ish "wonderous items" vs pathfinder the amount items you carry is based off of the gold in your pocket. The 5e system even shows this by not having prices for magical items.

Last edited:

Hey Akira mate! :)

All dnd 5e status effects are lumped together under advantage/disadvantage.

Which is very intuitive and doesn't require any math.

In pf 2e there are 40 ish status effects.

I'm looking at the online list now and I'd guess it takes up about 6-8 pages in the books and you'd need to look up each every time to recall what they actually did.

In 5e level 20 characters would have 5 ish "wonderous items" vs pathfinder the amount items you carry is based off of the gold in your pocket. The 5e system even shows this by not having prices for magical items.

The problem that 5E's correcting (and I did something similar in the Immortals Handbook with a 4 artifact limit) is the classic Monty Haul item bloat that high level characters ALWAYS end up with.

Having 100+ magic items is a bit cumbersome and when you think about it makes each item LESS special.

Akira Whitlock

Explorer
But then thats the thing. Some people prefer the "diablo" approach to loot where they get mountains of loot and are able to sift through and pick and choose what they wear. Obviously bland style +1 magic resistance cloak is kinda meh but add something to it that makes it unique and suddenly players have to pick between a +2 with a perk and a +3 with nothing. If your items are bland make them interesting.

I have a veteran group that like added complexity and are unburdened by a plethora of rules, numbers and if statements on excel.

Noice minis.

Hey Akira mate! :)

But then thats the thing. Some people prefer the "diablo" approach to loot where they get mountains of loot and are able to sift through and pick and choose what they wear.

I think that's more appropriate for video games where you can have multiple abilities and items giving percentile bonuses and penalty trade offs.

That said, 5E (AFAIK) lets you OWN multiple items - it simply limits the number of items you can use at any one time.

Obviously bland style +1 magic resistance cloak is kinda meh but add something to it that makes it unique and suddenly players have to pick between a +2 with a perk and a +3 with nothing. If your items are bland make them interesting.

Well what you could have are Artifacts that you could 'fuse' multiple items, perhaps stacking 'perks' (as you put it) for a trade off in bonuses.

I have a veteran group that like added complexity and are unburdened by a plethora of rules, numbers and if statements on excel.

Well I am sure many groups like that exist but they are probably the exception not the rule.

I suspect such groups will gravitate to epic play though.

Noice minis.

They were very sexy.

Remove ads