• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Post-Zeus Greek Pantheon

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Okay, I may skip Athena, some good points have been made. What New Gods should there be and who will be promoted up in the pantheon? Autolycus is the new god of scoundrels, Herakles' sons will be gods of cities and engineering. Anyone else?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is this in Greece proper, or pseudo-Greece? Might be fun to deify a few historical figures if the former, or at least use such personages as inspirations: Alexander, Socrates and so on.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I have two cities that are populated by refugees from a pseudo Greco-Roman empire, both revere the Greek gods. Irium still reveres the Elder Olympians (Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades) but Valorans declare these gods are dead and Athena and her allies have taken over Olympus. So, how to expand and develop the Greek gods? I can see some mortals based on historical figures, especially some emperors, ascending to godhood.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe some of the demigods got promoted in the new regime, like Hercules, becoming central figures.

Which city is right? Is Zeus still in charge, or did Athena overthrow him? Or is the war ongoing?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I am playing it as though the Valorans are right and the gods had a war that ended with the old guard removed. The Iriumans are just in denial, their priests are secretly worshiping other gods or using arcane magic to maintain their power. Herakles is dead, killed by Ares, who is also dead. Promoting Herakles' sons by Hebe. I want to expand the list and add some new gods.

Things Valora should have gods of:

Banking
Postal service
Steam-power
Engineering
Printing
Alchemy
Coffee/Tea/Tobacco/Drugs

What else?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
The god of banking, savings, and capitalism should be a son of Hermes and Persephone. The god of messages, postal services, and deliveries should be a scion of Hermes, too, but with whom? The god of steam power would be descended of Hephaistos and Aphrodite. Hermes and Hecate could beget a god of alchemy. Persephone, escaped from the land of the dead, would beget gods of new agricultural products like tobacco, opium, coffee, tea, sugar, and cocaine. Thoughts?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
The Cabeiri were said by some to be twin sons of Hephaistos. This is a very confusing suite of contradictory tales...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabeiri

So, I am going to say that a daughter of Proteus (who will be upgraded to a god of potions and drugs) begat the Cabeiri with Hephaistos. There were associated with mining, copper, and wine. So they will be in charge of coppersmithing and the inventors of the barrel and the alloys of copper.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
The Charistes, goddesses of beauty, charm, and grace:

http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Kharites.html

I am going with Thalia, Aglaia, and Euphrosyne, daughters of Zeus and Eurynome.

Aglaia, also called Charis, will get an upgrade, becoming a goddess of jewelry and finely crafted, decorative works. It will be she who makes the crown for Athena the Almighty. Her priestesses will work to fight against counterfeit gems and be the go-to appraisers of all valuables, as well as running most jewelry stores in Valora and Irium. Fine clothing, furniture, and other crafted items designed to improve a person or place's appearance are her bailiwick. Just to add some drama, I will say Hephaistos wooed her after he caught Aphrodite in bed with Ares.

Thalia's name means "blooming" and she presided over banquets. So I am going to broaden that a bit, make her in charge of gardens, flowers, and herbs used in cooking, and perfumes and incense. If it smells good, thank Thalia.

Euphrosyne will be in charge of play and laughter. She is a goddess of parties, games, and jokes. Her priests are musicians, comedians, and mimes, and are called upon by the wealthy to organize festive activities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads