A question about the druid's Wild Shape ability

-Eä-

First Post
In the Player's Handbook it says that you get the physical ability scores that is the average of the species you choose. Is the character's ability score -10 added to that score?

For example: If a character has 14 strength, would he then add 14-10=4 strength points to that average?

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
No.
If it says, "that you get the physical ability scores that is the average of the species" it means say...

You have 4 (natural) STR any you turn into a Heavy War Horse (18 STR), now you have wopping 18STR.

Now lets say...

You have 40 (natural) STR any you turn into a Heavy War Horse (18 STR), poof, now you have only 18STR.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Now...

If a halfling wearing Gauntlets of Ogre Power polymorphs into a dwarf, his strength is set to 11 - average for the new species. The Gauntlets resize to accommodate the new form.

How does this work? Does the Polymorph "see" the Gauntlets, and set his base Strength to 9, so that once the Gauntlets are factored in, his Strength is the average for a dwarf? Or is the Polymorph independent of the Gauntlets, leaving him with a Strength of 11 +2 enhancement = 13?

Same question if the halfling is under the influence of a Bull's Strength for +2 enhancement.

Same question if the halfling has an inherent bonus (due to a Manual or Wishes) of +2 to Strength.

If he's under a Divine Power spell, does his Strength remain at a minimum of 18 regardless of what form he chooses?

-Hyp.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
For gauntlets of ogre power or spells I'd say enhancement bonuses come after the ave for race, so it would be a 13 str dwarf with the gauntlets. I'd go the same way with inherent bonuses. Divine power I guess to be consistent I'd have to go with it, but I have trouble seeing 18str fluffy bunnies. Even though it has got to be bunnies behind the evil scheme I'd probably put some minimum size limit on divine power. Yeah I know its magic it doesn't have to be realistic, blah, blah but some things I'd just find to be patently rediculous.

XCorvis

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Now...

If a halfling wearing Gauntlets of Ogre Power polymorphs into a dwarf, his strength is set to 11 - average for the new species. The Gauntlets resize to accommodate the new form.

How does this work? Does the Polymorph "see" the Gauntlets, and set his base Strength to 9, so that once the Gauntlets are factored in, his Strength is the average for a dwarf? Or is the Polymorph independent of the Gauntlets, leaving him with a Strength of 11 +2 enhancement = 13?

Same question if the halfling is under the influence of a Bull's Strength for +2 enhancement.

Same question if the halfling has an inherent bonus (due to a Manual or Wishes) of +2 to Strength.

If he's under a Divine Power spell, does his Strength remain at a minimum of 18 regardless of what form he chooses?

-Hyp.

Make sure you read the Revised Polymorph and Wild Shape rules in Tome and Blood and Masters of the Wild, respectively. The contain many clarifications.

In this case, Polymorph doesn't do anything to the gauntlets because the new form can wear them. The dwarf has a strength of 11, plus 2 from the gauntlets, just like a normal dwarf. If you turn into a horse (or other handless creature), the equipment melds with your body and becomes nonfunctional.

Any normal spell, assuming it can be used on the new form, should remain in effect, including Bull's Strength and Divine Power. Turning into a form with no hands or feet may end a Spider climb spell (DM's call).

Nothing addresses inherent bonuses, but since they apply to physical stats, it would be reasonable to assume that they are linked to the body rather than the mind/spirit, so they would not be applied to the new form.

Remove ads