D&D 5E A quick fix to improve the Monk's flexibility.

Rune

Once A Fool
Discussed the current monk with my brother (who frequently plays monks--of various different styles). Our conclusion was that the Monk was kind of boring.

Because monks don't get to choose a maneuver until fourth level, and then only a handful over the course of 10 levels, all monks will pretty much look the same.

We did see an easy solution, though. Because expertise dice scale according to their own mechanic, it did not seem at all unbalancing to remove Flurry of Blows and Step of the Wind and instead let the Monk choose two maneuvers at level 1.

This would go a long way toward diversifying the class and allowing for multiple styles of monk.

(Of course the Monk still needs a good reaction maneuver to help emulate a soft style, but that's another discussion, entirely).

Rune

Once A Fool
That philosophy is really only satisfying for people who might play any particular "fringe" class once in a while. For those who prefer to play said class to others (for, say, thematic reasons, rather than mechanical), flexibility is a feature, not a bug.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I really think that all martial classes should choose a maneuver at every level. To prevent option paralysis during combat, there should be greater forms of most maneuvers that replace the lesser forms. Thus, by 10th level, you still probably only have five or six maneuvers.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It is just the only way they've thought up so far. And sadly it seems they rested after doing it. "Eh, Good Enough" would be the definition I'd use.

I think your dictionary needs a bit of editing, if those are the kinds of "definitions" that appear in it.

Remove ads