D&D (2024) A simpler game is a better game...for us

Sacrosanct

Legend
Problem is: we have no alternate reality to compare it with. So maybe you are right. Maybe having only one game would have been even better.
Don't know about today, of course, but the only example we have shows a clear support of having two systems. BECMI never would have existed if B/X didn't take off. Again, B/X was not meant to be serious. It was a way to get out of royalties to Dave. But because it was so profitable in concurrent publication of AD&D, BECMI was a no brainer. And it too made a ton of money.

Not because of Basic vs Advanced brought about problems, but because of other unrelated management decisions that were disastrous to the company as a whole.

But I think part of it was related. Splitting the customer base. Putting out books to pay credits.

Also: many people bought Basic D&D because they thought you need to start with Basic first before you can learn advanced... But actually advanced was the more streamlined game. (In a sense).

A simplified game will bring more players in, but they are likely to lose interest more quickly and leave.

People will get bored of wading in the shallow water.

A certain level of complexity is needed to generate a certain level of commitment (and retention). Where that line is drawn is up for debate.

I think the multiclass rules do wonders in 5e. I have not once been bored by any character.

I think if they can play with the solidified class structre and add multiclass subclasses and or subclass substitution abilities, Ivd really like that.

Vaalingrade

Legend
D&D For The What Veterans Who Don't Respect New Players' Intelligence Imagine New Players to Be Like And Also The Guy Who Doesn't Actually Want To Play

mamba

Legend
Having three spell lists is "simpler" than having spell lists for each class, but it's not making the materials more approachable for the average user (especially if they then have to figure out which of the giant Arcane spells list are of a school their Bard can cast, rather than just look at a convenient list).
but it makes it easier to expand upon it in supplements, both WotC and 3pp

New class, easy to figure out what spells apply across all material. New spells, easy to figure out which classes get to use them.

mamba

Legend
Because 5e already did it.
well, if you consider 5e too simplistic then I agree, 1DD will not be for you either.

I do not see it as too simple however, and going by how many games try to provide a simpler experience vs a more complex one, you are a minority

Vaalingrade

Legend
I do not see it as too simple however, and going by how many games try to provide a simpler experience vs a more complex one, you are a minority
Okay.

No idea why that matters or how that's supposed to change my mind. Or how 'lol, you're in the minority' adds anything to anything.

But okay.

Remove ads