D&D 5E A single +1 armor for a level 10 party

CM

Adventurer
I tend to give out much more magical treasure than "DMG normal" but I also use tougher and more numerous enemies. One thing I am very leery about giving out is +x armor though. I'll only use it if a frontline character is at a significant disadvantage in the AC department.

neogod22

Explorer
So that guy with the already highest AC took the Ring of Protection??? There is a word for that kind of player....
When you play with a dedicated group, it becomes the needs of the party over the individual. The fighter makes better use of a ring of protection than a,mange does, since the mage shouldn't be in melee range. If the warrior can lock down the enemies, the DPS will have an easier time to take it down. My barbarian has a ring of protection and a +2 shield for that exact reason. I think he only went below 100hp one time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
slightly off topic but: If a +1 armor is this powerful/important. How powerful/important is +1 dex for AC? My first character (rogue) will be hitting level 4 soonish in our first campaign, and I was thinking about going for a feat (Fade Away) instead of 2 dex. I know that 2 dex is pretty important, but didn't think it was that important.
+1 dex for a rogue = +1 to hit, damage, AC, skills and Dex saves. Fade away is only useful 1/short rest I believe. So way more important.

Kevtron

First Post
+1 dex for a rogue = +1 to hit, damage, AC, skills and Dex saves. Fade away is only useful 1/short rest I believe. So way more important.

I figured as much... Though the other 'problem' with Fade Away is that it would compete with Uncanny Dodge (at 5) for my reaction...

I'm just thinking Fade Away could be more fun, and debating the subjective worth of fun vs power ^^

neogod22

Explorer
I figured as much... Though the other 'problem' with Fade Away is that it would compete with Uncanny Dodge (at 5) for my reaction...

I'm just thinking Fade Away could be more fun, and debating the subjective worth of fun vs power ^^
You're right about that too. It's good for non-rogues who don't have reaction abilities, but I probably wouldn't place it above a primary stat boost.

Kevtron

First Post
Also, I think it's always a great idea for a Dex character to max Dex asap. Having a 20 Dex is an EXTREMELY powerful thing. Even for the full casters.

As the DEX character in my group (rogue) I know how the DEX helps me, but why is it also so helpful for the group as a whole?

neogod22

Explorer
As the DEX character in my group (rogue) I know how the DEX helps me, but why is it also so helpful for the group as a whole?
For casters, it helps their AC, for warriors, it helps for ranged weapons. It's a good stat, but I won't attempt to max it out if there are feats I want to get.

CTurbo

Explorer
Dex = AC for any unarmored and light armored character.
Dex = Initiative for all players.
Dex = +hit and +damage

Dex is especially important for Rogues because it increases all of those things which are all highly important and it also increases critical skills like Stealth and Sleight of Hand.
Dex is especially important for mages because of AC and Initiative. Mages with high Initiatives are the most dangerous because going earlier in the round lets you get into position(aka out of the way) before getting approached as well as being able to control the battlefield better popping off some devastating spells before the enemies can even move.

Anyway, I'm not saying you must max Dex ASAP for these characters but taking +2 in Dex is NEVER a bad choice for them.

Horwath

Legend
I would rather give armor DR 1,2 or 3 than +1,2 or 3 to AC.

Then it can be DR 1 uncommon not rare item, and it doesnt break B.A.

Remove ads