D&D 5E A single +1 armor for a level 10 party

lud

Explorer
Looking at the table at the bottom of page 135 in Xanathar's we get the suggestion that a party of level 10 characters should have a total of 1 rare major item.

Since a +1 armor is a rare major item, this gives a total of 1 armor for the whole party. Or none if they have a a weapon +2, (or most rings, staffs or wands).

Did I miss or miss-read something?

Are you playing with those guidelines?

CTurbo

Explorer
I actually recommend NOT giving out any +1, +2, or +3 armor at all. I will never at any point give a magic shield.

I can only see doing it if there is a major AC discrepancy between characters. Then you'll throw out something that only the weakest guy can use.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Looking at the table at the bottom of page 135 in Xanathar's we get the suggestion that a party of level 10 characters should have a total of 1 rare major item.

Since a +1 armor is a rare major item, this gives a total of 1 armor for the whole party. Or none if they have a a weapon +2, (or most rings, staffs or wands).

Nope, working as intended. 5e is built around bounded accuracy, so straight +X bonuses to AC are extremely powerful.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I completely ignore the guidelines in the DMG and Xanathar's guide.

I give out whatever I feel is appropriate or think will be interesting to see in play. I even give all the PC's an extra feat at first level.

Of course, I also pretty much ignore the CR guidelines and give monsters feats and bonus action abilities as well. So YMMV.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

Are you playing with those guidelines?

Yes that's right. Magic items are rare and special in 5e.

I like that they're character/party defining and change from campaign to campaign. They help make campaigns memorable because of that. Magic items as basic equipment takes all of the magic out of them.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Just ignore it. For many players magic items are a part of DnD.

I'm not sure how having a +1 suit of armour is not having magic items be part of D&D.

I get that in 3e each character having 20 magic items was the norm, but 3e does not own what it is to be D&D.

Emirikol Prime

Explorer
I'm not sure how having a +1 suit of armour is not having magic items be part of D&D.

I get that in 3e each character having 20 magic items was the norm, but 3e does not own what it is to be D&D.

He clearly said he thought it wasn't enough for him. So I said ignore it.

Every table determines what is DnD for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads