• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Spell to lower Spell Resistance?

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
Help! Does anyone know if there exists a spell to lower the SR of a creature?

I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't remember and can't find it either.

Please help my poor Arcane Trickster without enough levels to even give even a scratch to that Nightcrawler.

green slime

First Post
Tarril Wolfeye said:
Help! Does anyone know if there exists a spell to lower the SR of a creature?

I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't remember and can't find it either.

Please help my poor Arcane Trickster without enough levels to even give even a scratch to that Nightcrawler.

I think what you are looking for is conatined in either Relics and Rituals or one of the Books of Eldritch Might. Not beinf at home right now makes it difficult to check I'm afraid.

Taluron

There is a spell for this in one or two of the DnD computer games. Don't know of an 'official' one in the RPG though.

Metallian

First Post
green slime said:
I think what you are looking for is conatined in either Relics and Rituals or one of the Books of Eldritch Might. Not beinf at home right now makes it difficult to check I'm afraid.

Yes, it's in Relics and Rituals. My wife's character has it on two scrolls, but she hasn't actually used it yet, so we're not sure if it's balanced or not. It's definitely powerful, but on the other hand it seems almost necessary at higher levels of play. (Especially if your primary offensive tactic is Polymorph...)

The Metallian

MorganKiller

First Post
There was such a spell in 2nd edition (not in the base manuals)...

It was a must if you wanted to fight guys with 70-80% Magic Resistance (since your level didn't affect their chance to resist you).
Now with the SR system it seems a really powerful spell...

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

In BGII there were at least 2 spells that lowered SR: "Lower Resistance" at 5th level; there was one at 8th level as well but I can't remember the proper name just now... :eek:

Last edited:

ruleslawyer

Remove Resistance is found in R&R. It's a 4th-level spell that lowers the target's resistance by (IIRC) your caster level for 1 round/level but does allow a save, unlike the 2e lower resistance which did not allow a save. IMHO, it'd be better to award no save for remove resistance and just bump the spell's level back up to 5th. Otherwise, it tends to be a waste of a spellcasting action and never really worth it.

Ormraxes

First Post
The 5th level spell Lower Resistance from the 2nd Edition Tome of Magic lowered the magic resistance of the target by 30% + 1%/level, IIRC. The target also had its magic resistance cut in half when trying to resist this spell, making it much more useful, especially against lone powerful opponents.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Ormraxes said:
The 5th level spell Lower Resistance from the 2nd Edition Tome of Magic lowered the magic resistance of the target by 30% + 1%/level, IIRC. The target also had its magic resistance cut in half when trying to resist this spell, making it much more useful, especially against lone powerful opponents.

I decided that lower resistance was actually underpowered for a 5th level spell in 3rd edition. I use the following version in my campaign:

Lower Resistance
Transmutation
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level (see text)
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell lowers the spell resistance of the target creature by 1d6 points +1 point per three caster levels (maximum +6) for the duration of the spell.

The spell is specifically designed to counter spell resistance, and is not affected by spell resistance itself (unlike most targeted transmutation spells, see p299 Dungeon Master’s Guide).

Lower resistance works against both natural spell resistance and that provided by spells or magic items. The spell has no effect on a creature’s immunities from a spell or spells (for example, a golem’s immunity to magic), and does not affect a creature’s saving throws against spells or spell-like abilities.

The target creature is entitled to a saving throw to avoid the spell’s effects. Further, an affected creature with natural spell resistance gets an additional saving throw every round, at the beginning of the caster’s turn. If it is successful it puts its spell resistance back up and the spell ends. Spell resistance from a spell or a magic item is lowered for the entire duration of lower resistance.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads