A supposedly great thing that I'll never watch again- Great media that left you cold

Ace

Adventurer
In addition to the Clone Wars: Supernatural, Cowboy Bebop, Princess Bride, Critical Role, The Fifth Element, Unbreakable, the entire Kevin Smith filmography, the entire Quentin Tarantino filmography, the Matrix movies, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Fantastic Beasts series, Sherlock, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Witcher (tv series), Godfather/Scarface/Goodfellas/Sopranos gangster/mafia-type media.

I kind of agree with this list caveat I adore the Princess Bride and Labyrinth, I liked Bebop and the Witcher and Fantastic Beasts were meh, not terrible.

I'm going to try Supernatural at some point though. I just haven't been able to watch an entire episode.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I try to avoid reading much about movies or series that seem interest to me. Even if a work is not oversold, even it if deserves the praise it gets, there is a natural inclination to feel it didn't live up to the hype. I like to immerse myself and get drawn into movies, shows, and books. At the same time, I've reached the point in my life that I will not finish a book, movie, or TV series just because I started it. There is so much to do and enjoy in life that I don't see the point in forcing myself to finish entertainment that I'm not enjoying.

Very few video games hold my interest any more.

I'm conflicted about Jack Vance's Dying Earth Series. I actually read the entire series so I liked it enough, but I don't get the hype. Nostalgia I guess.

The TV series 24. Despite so many people telling me how great it was, I just couldn't get into it.

Breaking Bad. Watched a few episodes but wasn't drawn enough into it to make the investment of time in watching the entire series.

Some recent series I started and stopped:

Dragons Dogma. Stopped watching less than halfway through the first episode.

Blood of Zeus. Watched the first three and never felt interested enough to continue.

Lucifer. Watched a few episodes as the premise was entertaining but just couldn't get into it.

The Last Kingdom. I feel like I should like it, but couldn't get into it.

There are a lot more series I started watching and enjoyed at first but stopped watching after a season or two. But that is not really in the scope of this thread.

Ace

Adventurer
Sin City - I recognize it for an excellently crafted piece of art... that I just find ugly.

Most of American Horror Story - though their 1984 series was a hoot, and I set is aside from the others. I am picky about horror, in general.

South Park. Just no, thank you.
Yep. There are one or two South park episodes, mainly the Underpants Gnomes but you can keep the rest.

innerdude

Legend
Eh. Rebels is pretty dire. Lots of bouncy people.

LOL, I love Rebels but can't totally argue with you on that. 5 seasons, and they never fixed the weird/bizarre animations for the way characters run.

And as far as South Park goes, other than the World of Warcraft episode from season 10, it pretty much jumped the shark halfway through season 4.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
LOL, I love Rebels but can't totally argue with you on that. 5 seasons, and they never fixed the weird/bizarre animations for the way characters run.
Everybody can also bounce 20 feet into the air. It’s like everybody is a Jedi. And the Jedi are all cartoon Spider-Man.

Ace

Adventurer
Everything by JJ Abrams
About half of Joss Whedon's output
Everything by the Wachowski Siblings other than "The Matrix"
Gone With The Wind
The Ten Commandments
Every Bryan Singer movie
Every Brian de Palma movie
Every Paul Voehoeven movie
Avatar (unless I have LSD or mushrooms)
Napolean Dynamite
Juno
Love Actually
The Blair Witch Project
Every Baz Luhrman movie
Every Luc Besson movie
Every Woody Allen movie
Forrest Gump
I have to say its nice to have a polite but hones disdain thread that has managed to not breakdown into anything personal. Its the very epitome of De gustibus non est disputandum

Also agree with much of this list. Whedon wise I liked Buffy, Angel and Firefly though. Dollhouse was really sick like a twisted power and worse fantasy , SVU from the perps POV and while I like Eliza Dushku, that show was way past my moral event horizon.

Gone with Wind and the Ten Commandments are great movies but only as history. They are are terribly dated in every respect. I probably wouldn't watch them or Ben Hur again.

Juno and Gump were fine, one watch only.

As for Mad Mel? I don't give a fig about his politics or religion, Still nothing on his list that is worth a rewatch except maybe Mad Max and Lethal Weapon.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
The first thing that comes to mind is the Godfather trilogy. I can see that they are expertly crafted movies, but I just don't like them. I don't like a lot of mobster movies. I couldn't make it through the Sopranos either and I just get irritated thinking about Scarface.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Not long after Titanic set the record for most $20M weekends in the theater, my sister-in-law talked my wife and I into coming over and watching it via pay-per-view.

I was glad I brought a book.
How did those two modern teenagers get aboard the most high-class vessel available from 100 years ago?

I subsequently re-read "Collision Course" and borrowed every other Andrea Doria book I could find in my Public Library. I thought (and still think) I can write a better movie script story ...

Sacrosanct

Legend
The first thing that comes to mind is the Godfather trilogy.

Usually when this topic comes, this is the first thing that springs to mind. I just never liked them or got into them.

Other beloved items I just can't get into?

Dune (always puts me to sleep. All that inner monologue...blech)
Big Lebowski
Never saw an episode of Cowboy bebop nor do I want to
Supernatural after season 4. It totally soured on me after it went from monster hunting to only religion
Meh on Critical role. They are great people, I just don't find much entertainment in watching them.

pukunui

Legend
The Colour of Magic? Yeah, same story. That book isn’t good. Try a different one. There’s 40 of them!
I'll second this. I made the mistake of trying to get my cousin into Discworld by having him start with The Colour of Magic (since it's the first one).

I would recommend the Guards series (on which the upcoming The Watch series is very loosely based). My favorite Discworld novel is Thud!, but I think you'd need to read a number of the other Discworld novels to truly appreciate its greatness.

Also Interesting Times and The Last Continent are good.

I'd also recommend the Tiffany Aching series. Technically they're for "younger" readers but I find them just as enjoyable to read for myself. I Shall Wear Midnight is the best. Don't bother with the last one.

Pretty much anything in the "watch people play D&D" genre.
This I can handle videos of people talking about D&D but avoid the playing videos.
Man, I can't even handle videos of people talking about D&D let alone playing it. I think I just don't really like watching videos of people talking about anything really. I can read a lot faster than people can talk, so I prefer text to video. When I absolutely have to watch a talky video, I tend to speed it up.

Remove ads