D&D 4E A thought on WotC's imperative to continue to digitally support 4e.

bss

First Post
Errata ('updates) are available w/o DDI.

They don't magically appear in my book. They magically appear in the Character Builder and Compendium. It may just be a convenience to some, but lacking a convenience is still a lacking (intensified if the convenience is taken away rather than having never existed).

I get not everyone liked, used, or even cared about DDI, but I don't think there's really a place within which to argue this --- if you have something and like it, having it taken away is not desirable.

Consonant Dude

First Post
But, here's the BIG thing...the whole point of this post....If WotC abandons 4e, I'll never buy any 5e stuff from them.

If I know that I can come to rely upon a digital subscription, and it is one that disappears, then I'll not ever buy in to that subscription. I don't have a personal investment in 4e, but I'll be watching very closely with what they do with it, and how they treat its fans. If they want me back for 5e, they damn well better not squash 4e (or I know what's coming next after 5e turns to 6e and expect them to squash 5e).

So, from a person who really isn't that big a fan of 4e, WotC, please continue to support it digitally (whether that's a bundle single purchase of all products instead of continuing montly support, I don't care).

I just don't want to, when 5e is released, hear how WotC tried to destroy 4e so everyone would play 5e....because that is EXACTLY what would prevent me from playing 5e (and, again, I don't even really care about 4e).

I couldn't care less about support for past editions, including 4e. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure people who bought 4th edition didn't base their decision on what WotC was doing with 3rd edition either.

I buy products (including games) based on what they have to offer me concretely as opposed to vague expectations. When 3rd edition came out, I took my time to find out what were all the changes by reading message boards. Then I bought a PHB. Then I liked it enough that I bought a core book set.

That was it. I had 10 years of fun with it and didn't feel the need to get supplements. I couldn't care less about 3.5. I did not feel the need to upgrade. I looked at 4th edition and felt like it was a disaster. Had a chance to play a few sessions and it confirmed it wasn't for me. I don't feel I need Pathfinder "to keep my game alive" either. The ink in my 3.0 books didn't magically fade away and Pathfinder didn't add any value to that edition as far as I am concerned.

I didn't feel "left out" or anything. My 3rd edition books didn't come with a warranty for eternal support, nor do I think it would make any business sense if they did.

I still have tons of fun with basic, 1st and 3rd edition. I'm gonna base my decision on buying products strictly on what they have to offer. It's all about making wise consumer decisions and keeping your expectations realistic.

Offer me great products and I'll be buying them. Don't and I won't.

IanB

First Post
I think leaving access up for anyone who (ever?) paid for it and letting the 4e character/monster tools continue to exist, even if they aren't actively supported (as long as it is free), would be 'good enough' for me.

Remove ads