D&D General A tour of each and every TSR/D&D release

Stormonu

Legend
This was where I came in on the game, though my set didn't have dice, just the chits (and B2, not B1).

I was lucky enough about 10-15 years ago to find a decent-shape copy on the cheap and bring this product back into my library.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There's something about that older art that inspires me much more than the more professional and well done art.

Yaarel

He Mage
They don't, though. At least not on the cover as shown here. Swords & Spells literally is miniatures rules. It's a set of battle-scale miniatures wargame rules FOR D&D*, kind of the reverse of how D&D was partially based on Chainmail.

(*Though sadly, not a very good one. I recommend Dan "Delta" Collins' Book of War for anyone in need of a set of miniatures rules for resolving army-scale battles in OD&D).
I want 50e to do something like this.

Make the core Players Handbook strictly for theater of the mind, but have a separate book that fully develops grid and minis tactical style.

darjr

I crit!
Sorry about missing so many of these. I'm going to try and catch up. Eventually he'll come to an end and I might but I'll try before that.

Next up is the Monster Manual! Mine is all but falling apart and I got a second one some time later.

Here is what Alex has to say.

Our tour is starting to pick up steam. Up today is a HUGE one. In 1977 TSR released their first hardbound D&D book - the Monster Manual. Here are 3 of my 1st printing copies, one signed by Gary. Another quirk of history that the monster book got published first for AD&D.

And his copies.

mm.jpeg
mm third copy in bag.jpeg

mm second copy.jpeg
mm inside singed by gary gygax.jpeg

twitter link

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Ope! And I didn't notice that he got ahead a few. Noted in this next one.

I got ahead of myself on our tour in my excitement. We still have a couple of 1976 releases to go. How about the first ever D&D module!! Up today, produced by Wee Warrior, but distributed by TSR, I give you Palace of the Vampire Queen! Pictured are my 2 1st printings and 2 3rds.

dmkit.jpeg
dmkit2.jpeg

dmkit3.jpeg
vamp queen yellow.jpeg

twitter link

darjr

I crit!
Oh and I'm not embedding the twitter links but putting them behind text. Please if you use twitter go and like these posts of his.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases