D&D General A tour of each and every TSR/D&D release

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Oddly enough, Eldritch Wizardry is the only OD&D booklet I've actually ever had my hands on. The old hobby shop I used to go to (which shut down some time in the 00's) had a copy for sale that was still in the shrink wrap, sitting right next to the regular D&D books (i.e., not protected in one of their many "collectables" display cases). Looking back, I'm amazed no one ever bought it.

All those years ago, I saw it in a toy store.

GuyBoy

Hero
I have very fond memories of Swords & Spells. It was undoubtedly flawed as a rule set, but our teenage group would often pool all our figures and play out 1:10 ratio fantasy battles, covering a table with a green sheet and using lichen as wooded areas.
A far cry from all the modern scenery from GW and similar, but great fun. BTW, at the time, GW was a tiny store off Shepherds Bush Rd in London, before moving to Hammersmith.

darjr

I crit!
From what I understand he does indeed plan to cover each and every product he has. Which I think is almost everything of not everything.

I was about to jump into the TSR release year of 1977, but was alerted to the fact that I was about to skip one final 1976 OD&D Supplement release. So, up today is the Supplement, Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes released in 1976. Here are a few of my copies. Onto 1977 tomorrow!

5B7F4EC5-8569-4166-940F-4EE76256F5EF.jpeg
7C2773AE-CC16-4E8E-9254-EA142E6D6D7A.jpeg
06EE6185-CE78-4793-A62D-44F8F0341EF4.jpeg

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Holmes was the first D&D I ever saw. It was a hand me down to the kids in my class. There was an iconic piece of art within that I couldn’t find until years later looking through a copy. I’ve never owned one.

Oh those dice!

Alright. The year 1977 for TSR. We have some iconic releases to enjoy. Up today is huge one. The Holmes Basic D&D set. Here are my 4 copies ranging from a 1st print to a 5th/6th with one being in original shrink wrap. Here is a great synopsis: Basic Set

0751814F-B6E6-4285-A1BC-0A0579578D1C.jpeg
D24A6CE4-FD0B-431D-8B9D-D8083C8772A6.jpeg
ADD09FFE-0507-45A8-B28D-9F65FDDBE300.jpeg
19B3F3FB-A056-4E29-8760-0811331A4DB0.jpeg

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
This was where I came in on the game, though my set didn't have dice, just the chits (and B2, not B1).

I was lucky enough about 10-15 years ago to find a decent-shape copy on the cheap and bring this product back into my library.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There's something about that older art that inspires me much more than the more professional and well done art.

Yaarel

Mind Mage
They don't, though. At least not on the cover as shown here. Swords & Spells literally is miniatures rules. It's a set of battle-scale miniatures wargame rules FOR D&D*, kind of the reverse of how D&D was partially based on Chainmail.

(*Though sadly, not a very good one. I recommend Dan "Delta" Collins' Book of War for anyone in need of a set of miniatures rules for resolving army-scale battles in OD&D).
I want 50e to do something like this.

Make the core Players Handbook strictly for theater of the mind, but have a separate book that fully develops grid and minis tactical style.

darjr

I crit!
Sorry about missing so many of these. I'm going to try and catch up. Eventually he'll come to an end and I might but I'll try before that.

Next up is the Monster Manual! Mine is all but falling apart and I got a second one some time later.

Here is what Alex has to say.

Our tour is starting to pick up steam. Up today is a HUGE one. In 1977 TSR released their first hardbound D&D book - the Monster Manual. Here are 3 of my 1st printing copies, one signed by Gary. Another quirk of history that the monster book got published first for AD&D.

And his copies.

mm.jpeg
mm third copy in bag.jpeg

mm second copy.jpeg
mm inside singed by gary gygax.jpeg

twitter link

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Ope! And I didn't notice that he got ahead a few. Noted in this next one.

I got ahead of myself on our tour in my excitement. We still have a couple of 1976 releases to go. How about the first ever D&D module!! Up today, produced by Wee Warrior, but distributed by TSR, I give you Palace of the Vampire Queen! Pictured are my 2 1st printings and 2 3rds.

dmkit.jpeg
dmkit2.jpeg

dmkit3.jpeg
vamp queen yellow.jpeg

twitter link

darjr

I crit!
Oh and I'm not embedding the twitter links but putting them behind text. Please if you use twitter go and like these posts of his.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4