A TSR Announces a Star Frontiers Reboot

One of the new TSRs (yes there are now two TSRs!) has announced a reboot of Star Frontiers, the sci-fi game made by the original TSR back in the 1980s. Star Frontiers was a percentile dice roleplaying game set in a galaxy with four races (Human, Dralasite, Vrusk, and Yazirian) which were re-used by WotC in d20 Future in 2004. Happy to announce that in addition to our flagship new world and...

One of the new TSRs (yes there are now two TSRs!) has announced a reboot of Star Frontiers, the sci-fi game made by the original TSR back in the 1980s. Star Frontiers was a percentile dice roleplaying game set in a galaxy with four races (Human, Dralasite, Vrusk, and Yazirian) which were re-used by WotC in d20 Future in 2004.

Happy to announce that in addition to our flagship new world and game system by James M. Ward & Dinehart, GiantLands, and Justin LaNasa's children's RPG Tales & Tots, our next internal project "Star Frontiers", a reboot of the original, is currently in preproduction and has Larry Elmore attached. Stay tuned for more details!

It appears that one of the new TSRs registered the trademark in April. More if I hear it!

You can currently buy the game from WotC on DriveThruRpg, so I'm not sure how that works. When asked about this on Facebook, one of the TSRs answered:

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 12.23.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 12.24.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 11.36.28 PM.png

Of course, Evil Hat Productions registered the Star Frontiers trademark, too, back in July 2017.

st.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yup, but someone could ask them to corroborate or not TSR's "data". I mean I'm sure they won't answer on the record.
Corroborate what data? TSR hasn't presented any data about Star Frontiers sales figures that I've seen? I think you're the only person I've seen mention Star Frontiers' sales performance! :)

aramis erak

Legend
Trademarks have to be maintained every 10 years through a filing. Continued use by itself isn't enough. If WotC failed to file that document, the trademark could have expired and now be up for grabs.
Registration is not required for Trademarks, just established use and defense.
If fact, in the US, prior use of the registration is required before the trademark is enforceable. If not used, it's marked abandoned.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Registration is not required for Trademarks, just established use and defense.
If fact, in the US, prior use of the registration is required before the trademark is enforceable. If not used, it's marked abandoned.

Simple use is not enough. They also have to file a renewal that shows that you are using it. Without that renewal, you can lose it even if you are actively using it. It looks like WotC failed to renew and it was up for grabs.

darjr

I crit!
Simple use is not enough. They also have to file a renewal that shows that you are using it. Without that renewal, you can lose it even if you are actively using it. It looks like WotC failed to renew and it was up for grabs.
Except you can still take them to court regardless of the registration to sue them for ownership. I think.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Except you can still take them to court regardless of the registration to sue them for ownership. I think.
That may not apply, though. That article was about unregistered trademarks, not registered trademarks that were not maintained. I'm not a lawyer and have no idea. It looks like the last time the Star Frontiers trademark was renewed was in 1994, since it supposedly expired in 2004 and went up for grabs. It has since been trademarked again and abandoned, and then trademarked this most recent time by TSR. WotC would have a hard time arguing that they were just late in filing the renewal. It has been 27 years.

darjr

I crit!
Could be. I don’t know for sure either. But it does seem to me the key in any suit would be that it was being used actively, even while unregistered, by one party and not the other.

I’ll just concede with a “we might find out”

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Could be. I don’t know for sure either. But it does seem to me the key in any suit would be that it was being used actively, even while unregistered, by one party and not the other.

I’ll just concede with a “we might find out”
Yeah. Another thing to consider is that even if it has been used actively, it has been used actively in electronic PDF format. The statute above regarding unregistered trademarks talked about being able to defend the trademark in the local markets where it is being used. The Web commerce laws have been getting better, but are still pretty full of holes. What is the local market for internet sales? Does the law cover that?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads