• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Aasimar, Crafting Rules, and more in Gameinformer Magazine feature

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm not sure I agree. In fact, I would definitely say that at a glance, I would have called this for a gnome, not a halfling, and only maybe revised that if I looked carefully and noticed the lack of pointed ears. It doesn't have any features I'd classically associate with being a halfling. The only reason you can be certain it's not a human child is she has a face which, uh, gives me "This gal has SEEN some stuff..." (which kinda conflicts with/undermines the "joy").
I had to go back and look at that picture... The makeup say joy, but the eyes speak of crushing existential dread.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe that was the case in 1977, but the lore of D&D’s halflings has developed in the intervening 47 years, such that they are notably distinct in a number of ways, including but not limited to their appearance.
And quite specifically, in the D&D Next period they went out of their way to create an art guide gor Halflings in order to be distinctly not Hobbits, and clearly neither Gnome not Human.

mamba

Legend
Maybe that was the case in 1977, but the lore of D&D’s halflings has developed in the intervening 47 years, such that they are notably distinct in a number of ways, including but not limited to their appearance.
they do not live in the Shire only for obvious reasons (both to fit better into D&D and to avoid Tolkien's Estate suing), but apart from that they are still very similar

"Most halflings live in small, peaceful communities with large farms and well-kept groves. They rarely build kingdoms of their own or even hold much land beyond their quiet shires."

yeah, that does not sound like hobbits at all ;)

And quite specifically, in the D&D Next period they went out of their way to create an art guide gor Halflings in order to be distinctly not Hobbits, and clearly neither Gnome not Human.
do we have that art guide somewhere? The 5e text does not say much specific about their appearance, so the only thing to go by are the bobblehead pictures everyone loathes. I give you that they definitely have different feet based on them (probably to fend off Tolkien)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
they do not live in the Shire only for obvious reasons (both to fit better into D&D and to avoid Tolkien's Estate suing), but apart from that they are still very similar

"Most halflings live in small, peaceful communities with large farms and well-kept groves. They rarely build kingdoms of their own or even hold much land beyond their quiet shires."

yeah, that does not sound like hobbits at all ;)
I don’t claim they aren’t similar to hobbits, only that they are distinct in a number of ways.
do we have that art guide somewhere? The 5e text does not say much specific about their appearance, so the only thing to go by are the bobblehead pictures everyone loathes. I give you that they definitely have different feet based on them (probably to fend off Tolkien)
No, I’m pretty sure it’s an internal resource. But you can see it in the halfling art direction - large heads, small feet, slightly shortened limbs, generally higher body fat percentage than is typical on heroic fantasy characters…

Remove ads