D&D 5E Aasimar & Tiefling offspring

RoiC.

Explorer
I'm pretty sure there's no official answer to this (do correct me if I'm wrong), but what's the result of a tiefling and an aasimar, uh... Commencing in a, uh... A vertical grappling contest?

Is the result either a tiefling or an aasimar? Maybe a pure human (both cancel each other out)? Maybe a human that has both infernal and celestial, um... Genes (does it work that way? It's D&D after all) that he can pass on? Maybe some crazy magical mishmash that involves the mixture of celestial/angelic and demonic/devilish, using the human basis as a bridging agent of sorts (like using flour or whatever as a way of sorts to mix oil and water on the same thing)? Maybe not him happens at all, and that's it?

Did you have to deal with it in your games somehow? Maybe heard a crazy ass story from a friend? Perhaps there's an official answer to it after all (honestly, sounds like pure 2e fluff/3.5e splatbook territory)? Maybe you have a batshit insane theory yourself? Hit me up, I'm dying to hear what you gave to say.

Last edited:

Depends on the setting. In my version of Spelljammer or the Nentir Vale setting, it would come out as straight tiefling, since I ise them as a true breeding race, no matter what the other person is.

flametitan

Explorer
Three possibilities that I would use in my own worlds:

1: It becomes either a tiefling or an aasimar. This can either be all[i/] children are tieflings, all[i/] children are aasimar, or some are tiefling, some are aasimar.

2: They fiendish and celestial blood cancel out, creating a human, elf, whatever the non planar part of their blood was.

3: You create an Eldritch abomination that would have traits of both.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
An Assling of course!......or Jack-Jack from the Incredibles.

Or...They create whatever you want them to. Have fun.

Nevvur

Explorer
For me, it would depend on how the offspring was implemented in the game, as a PC or NPC.

As a PC, I'd just say they turn out human. Maybe some cosmetic features point to their strange origins, but no mechanical changes. The player gets their exotic backstory, and I don't have to do any real work. Win win.

As an NPC, I'd go one of two routes. Horrific, malformed abomination as the demonic and angelic traits wage their own little war in the offspring's body, or human in appearance with thematically appropriate powers, possibly exceeding even those of their progenitors. I know some video games have already explored this latter idea - Diablo and Devil May Cry come to mind - but those were pure angel and demon offspring. Still, they could be a reference if you want to develop the concept further.

I'd give each child a 50/50 chance of being either aasimar or tiefling. I figure there is too much planetouched blood in there to just disappear, but I wouldn't let the celestial and fiend be compatible with each other. I'd probably do the same thing with genasi.

Remove ads