• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Abilities Capped at 20 Won't Work

BobTheNob

First Post
Not only would I keep the ability score cap at 20, I would go two steps further.

Step One: I would apply racial modifiers to the limit of 20. Humans, having no racial modifiers, would max out all skills at 20. Dwarves, having a +2 racial bonus to Constitution and a -2 racial penalty to Charisma*, would max out at 22 Con and 18 Cha. That way, even the sweetest and most charming maxed-out super-dwarf will still be less charismatic than the sweetest and most charming maxed-out super-human.

Step Two: I would rule that no amount of level advancement, training, magic, divine intervention, wishes, or miracles can increase your ability score higher than your racial limit. A belt of giant strength +4 can raise your wizard's Strength from an 11 to a 15, but it won't do anything at all for your fighter if his Strength is already 20.

-----

*AFAIK, we don't have exact stats on racial modifiers yet. So I am borrowing the ones from 3.5E for this example.

Step one : Thats some pretty sexy stuff right there. I would be concerned about humans without any bonus though. If you want a high dex character, does it becomes an automatic choice to play an Elf?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I'd prefer ability-based advancement ("I grow stronger" makes a lot more sense than "My attack bonus gets better, even though I'm just as strong as I was one level ago"), but if it causes problems, sure, cap it.

Remathilis

Legend
I'd prefer ability-based advancement ("I grow stronger" makes a lot more sense than "My attack bonus gets better, even though I'm just as strong as I was one level ago"), but if it causes problems, sure, cap it.

Whereas I prefer "my physical build hasn't changed, but my accuracy with a blade has improved through training."

That said, I like the flat-ish math.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Step one : Thats some pretty sexy stuff right there. I would be concerned about humans without any bonus though. If you want a high dex character, does it becomes an automatic choice to play an Elf?
With the flatter math, pretty much any score over 16 is going to qualify as a "high" score. If you wanted a sweet, maxed-out super-dex character, then any of the races would do (since they would max out at 20). I suppose if you wanted to have "OMG TEH BEST DEX EVAR LOL!!!1" character, then yes...a high-dex race like elf or halfling would be the obvious choice (with a max of 22.)

What you will have to ask yourself at that point is, "is it worth being an elf, just so I can get an extra +1 on my Dex mod?" If the answer is "yes," then go on with your bad elf.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
So they're much more useful for the guy with 12 Str than 16 Str?

Yes. What's wrong with that? Why do magic items have to be equally useful to people?

Beyond that, it levels the playing field. If it's just a bonus, that 16 str guy would always be ahead of the 12 str guy. But by having a set score, they would be on equal footing, if both had them.

Beyond that, it levels the playing field. If it's just a bonus, that 16 str guy would always be ahead of the 12 str guy. But by having a set score, they would be on equal footing, if both had them.
If you care about a level playing field, you'd presumably use a point-buy system for ability scores in the first place, which this type of item would break. The 16 Str guy had to give up other scores in order to be ahead of the 12 Str guy, and this item would make that tradeoff meaningless.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't particularly like caps. But a cap is needed for the design goal of the system. Though it does have effect.

I like the fact that a high STR character can match an ogre or minotaur in strength but it is all too easy. I prefer it requiring at least a magic item for a stat boost or level based boosts to a 22 Str.

Caps make the MAX desire worse. Sure it's just a Desire but players will just pump their highest before even touching the others. If there is no level or magical boosts, a BEST array would appear. And players would gravitate to it.

Remove ads