• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Score Generation

What method of ability score generation do you use?

• 3d6

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • 4d6 - discard low roll

Votes: 251 46.7%
  • 5d6- discard 2 low rolls

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • point buy

Votes: 195 36.2%
  • other - please explain

Votes: 71 13.2%

Crothian

First Post
Plkayers choose their stats. They develope a copncept pick race and class first, then they pick the stats that they feel fit the charcter. It has worked great, I've yet to have any player choose an 18 and only one person has ever taken a 17. I see about as many 16s as I do 8's and have never seen anything lower then an 8. Trust the players and they will soar.

Treebore

First Post
Crothian said:
Plkayers choose their stats. They develope a copncept pick race and class first, then they pick the stats that they feel fit the charcter. It has worked great, I've yet to have any player choose an 18 and only one person has ever taken a 17. I see about as many 16s as I do 8's and have never seen anything lower then an 8. Trust the players and they will soar.

That is my second method. The "old school" in me prefers a dice roll, but my players can create their stats however they want. They usually use my roll method. High stats without hard choices I would guess is why.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
I use a custom Dice roll arrangement in my games. First you roll three sets of numbers. Then choose one of the set, reroll any one number, and arrange as desired.
4d6
3d6+6
3d6
2d6+6
2d6
1d6+6

If the stats do not fit the necessities of the character's build they may be will be altered or rerolled. I like this system because it results in a nice spread of random abilities for most characters.

Zaustus

First Post
My DM and another player came up with a system of designing your own class, and rolled into that is the stat generation. If you make your own class, you get 115 points to spend on basics (hit die, base attack, saves, etc), class abilities, and magic/psionics. You can also spend 3 points to raise one attribute. You begin with 66 attribute points, plus an additional 12 that must go into Charisma. It's an unweighted point-buy. It leads to pretty high stats, but the characters are supposed to be heroic. Along with a couple other goodies the DM gave us, it made 1st level a whole lot more fun (Toughness for free as a bonus feat does wonders for low-level play).

For example, my character spent 6 character-creation points to get two additional ability points, and ended up with Str 14, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 10, Chr 14 (Con being my primary spellcasting attribute).

I think the one player who took a PHB-standard class rolled 4d6 drop lowest to generate his scores.

Trainz

Explorer
I do 5d6 reroll 1's (5d6 no reroll for cohorts).

Yes, it gives big stats.

If you think I'm a munchkin, look at my avatar.

LGodamus

First Post
I used to be big on the 4d6 drop the lowest and re roll 1's but I am warming up to point buy..I have used it twice now and I really feel like it gives everyone a common starting point...so they have less to complain about.

Vymair

First Post
My friends and I use a system we call Organic Point Buy.

Our point buy target is usually 28 (varies up to 32 for some DMs).

You roll 3d6 in order for the six stats.
You can swap two stats.
Add up the point value of your rolled stats. Grant necessary points to buy the character up to a point-buy target or a minimum of four points if they character is near or above the point buy target.

We love this system. You can generally make any character concept work, but you generally won't be optimized which tends to happen with straight point-buy. For example, you'll find a wizard with an 11 strength or a paladin with a 12 con.

Henry

Autoexreginated
We use a mix of methods. Our most popular are:

4d6 (drop lowest) six times
4d6 (drop lowest) seven times, and take the best six scores
28 point buy
25 point buy
36 point buy (for one star wars game)

We change up each game because the other DM and I have different goals for a specific campaign, and we change them up just to see what results.

My personal favorite is this:

each player rolls 4d6 (drop lowest) six times (as the book); then, the DM takes up all the scores before they are assigned, modifies them as he sees fit (only raising and not lowering), and hands them back. That way, the scores are not point assigned, and those who were spectacularly screwed by the dice get a break without the other players knowing it.

I personally don't mind point buy (it keeps players honest), but my group doesn't like it because it feels WRONG, somehow, if you're not rolling dice when you make up PC's.

Remove ads