Academy of the Chromatic Order--Four feats for exceptional Academy Graduates

Rystil Arden

First Post
For Daryne:

I cast Major Image. Some loser has True Seeing on and expects it to automatically negate illusions, but he has to make a (rather easy admittedly) Caster Level check or the True Seeing will not reveal the illusion. Still suspicious, he casts Detect Magic. If he fails again, Detect Magic does not reveal an Illusion Aura, and it may even reveal whatever auras I want it to reveal (so if my Illusion is carrying an Illusory Wand of Fireballs, Detect Magic would reveal the Wand's aura if the caster level check failed, since a big hole where nothing works is just as suspicious as detecting an aura of Illusion ;))

For Sice, yeah I definitely need to reword it. I'll work on that soon. I'm thinking Waves of Fatigue is an edge case where I have to decide if it would work. I can see it working "I leeched all your energy and now you are HELPLESS!" or not "You just made me tired? I'm not afraid of that, dude. I get tired every night."

Rystil Arden

First Post
I find these feat interesting. I think my comments is mainly what have been told, but I must complain on teh one who choose these match. Because of that, never will Opale gain access to these feats. Being an illusionist with Evocation barred (hey, Illusion mimic Evocation spells, why have access to those spells) I can,t qualify for any of them.

Well, part of the in-game explanation for Daryne's Imagination is that the Illusionist weaves in Evocation energies to help the spell fool the Divinations. Mainly, though, it is based on the arrangement of the four study programs at the Academy. For the arrangement, I chose two schools that related to the program's focus and original founder, and beyond that, I also tried (except with Mordrue which had Divination) to pick two schools on purpose that I as a semi-min-maxer would often take one and then make the other a barred school (like Evocation as an Illusionist or Necromancy as a Transmuter). Also, Opale didn't go to the Academy, right?

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Also, Opale didn't go to the Academy, right?

Nope, she learn from a wizard in a thief guild, herself coming from a thief guild (a reason I gave her so much bluff..). She doesn't much like organization, prefering her independency, but if a feat could have been interesting for her, and the IC opportunity present itself, she might have done the jump, but this philosophie is way out of her own. her magic is the one of the thief: Trickery, Hiding, Fooling. I wanted it as far as possible as the warmagus, also to force me to find new possibility and not being the caster who throw magic missile and fireball. (Magic missile, how much wizard doesn't use it sooner or later?)

Manzanita

First Post
I wonder if these feats should be available to wizards if they decide to take some courses at the academy later in life. Perhaps they could spend some time and money (craft points and gps?) to go to the academy even though they're already 4th level or so. Then they could get access to these feats.

Bront

The man with the probe
Due to the advancement issues, these feats may end up being taken later, but idealy you could do the training and graduate, and finaly master it a bit later. Or perhaps you simply head back for a refresher course. Of course, you can always have a GM run you through it (wouldn't take to long).

Not sure you need to require CPs, and tuition is 2,000 gp a year.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Manzanita said:
I wonder if these feats should be available to wizards if they decide to take some courses at the academy later in life. Perhaps they could spend some time and money (craft points and gps?) to go to the academy even though they're already 4th level or so. Then they could get access to these feats.
I would say definitely without a doubt. In fact, I extend a personal offer to GM any and all Wizard characters through a short stay at the Academy to earn the feats. However, they will need to be accepted by the Academy (should be cake for a Wizard of 3rd level or whenever they got a new feat, since only the most talented graduate students even begin to delve into 3rd level spells, so they'll be among the top entry-level students right away)

Manzanita

First Post
Of course Ignatious O'Reilly has a leg up on these feats. He'd definitely take Mordrue's Lore. He'll actually have to wait until 9th level, though, in order to fullful his Loremaster feat requirements first...

Erekose13

Explorer
I'm trying to see how Tenebrynn would fit, but he'd have to go back to school and I don't think he wants to (course he may not out live the dragon). He'd like the untrained knowledge rolls and the free use of abjurer spells in place of some sub-optimal diviner spells. So that feat looks good to me. I have to spend a bit more time looking at the other 3.

Bront

The man with the probe
Erekose13 said:
I'm trying to see how Tenebrynn would fit, but he'd have to go back to school and I don't think he wants to (course he may not out live the dragon). He'd like the untrained knowledge rolls and the free use of abjurer spells in place of some sub-optimal diviner spells. So that feat looks good to me. I have to spend a bit more time looking at the other 3.
If he's a diviner, he might be willing to go for a degree simply for the understanding (He'd probably get some experience credit). He needs to take the graduate feat first.

Remove ads