• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adamant Entertainment PDF Products

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Personally, I'm usually just looking for gaming material I can use in my game from a game company, not the next pope or president. :)

But that's just me! :D

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
jaerdaph said:
Personally, I'm usually just looking for gaming material I can use in my game from a game company, not the next pope or president. :)

President. Hmmmm. President.

I think I know what my next career should be.

C. Baize

First Post
jaerdaph said:

I normally am, too. But when someone proves themselves to be a would be prima donna (only without the indispensible aspect), like Roudi says... continuing to purchase their products is a monetary approval of their distasteful attitudes. If I'm going to support someone monetarily, and they have a public face... that public face needs to be likable, or at least neutral. But that's just me.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
At this rate we will have to create a wall of fallen heroes...
Publishers/writers/artists that we either banned or scarred away...
*grins*

Seriously though, i can understand the standpoint of Gareth concerning the border art. There's no clear indication that states that if he does X he gets Y extra sales, especially if X takes Z time and Gareth is convinced that Y does not weigh up to Z. I doubt that there's even one person that's saying "if there's no printer friendly version, i'm not buying it, if there is a printer friendly version i'm buying it right now". If there is, i would say, buy the pdf product and email me i'll remove the borders for you (10 min work tops).

I work on a computer helpdesk, we perform certain services, and being the nice guy that i am, i sometimes perform services that fall outside our 'package'. What i've noticed is that if your to easy when doing something for someone else they'll start asking more and more of you and tend to be rather miffed if you say no to something that's actually not your job (but you've done in the past to be helpfull). Not to mention that they'll tell their friends and coworkers that your so easy when someone asks you something that's not actually your job. In no time you'll have all kinds of 'nutcases' asking all sorts of ridiculess questions.

The same goes for a publisher, if he starts complying with every customer request he'll have someone take advantages of that and when the publisher stops complying he suddenly is mr. evil.

C. Baize

First Post
Agreed, Cergorach. You can't please everyone. No matter what.
What you CAN do (as a publisher) is address concerns (especially by people that give you money) in a polite and thankful manner... or at the very least, in a respectful manner. This includes not automatically assuming that someone who has your product is a pirate because you don't recognize their name... Interesting thing about the internet... I can be C. Baize here, Hildulf somewhere else, H. Hlorrithisson in another place, John Smith somewhere else entirely.... See what I mean? :)

That last part wasn't really to Cergorach.... I just sort of went off on a tangent...

GMSkarka

Explorer
There's a history between "D.Sinclair" and myself that you're unaware of.

Apart from my aside to him, though, my response in this thread has been that I will keep an eye on indicators, but at this point, they don't merit the change. If that changes, I will change my layouts. I said I was keeping an open mind.

If that somehow qualifies me as "agressive and dismissive" or a "prima donna", then, well...OK, I guess. You're entitled to your opinion, even if I don't understand it.

Heck, with one of the more vocal critics in this thread, the last time they raised complaints about how I was handling business, and I went out of my way to try to win them over, including sending them complimentary product. It didn't do any good, since they still take opportunities to take pot-shots at me.

After 12 years of this, I really shouldn't be surprised any more, I know. It's frustrating, though.

Last edited:

C. Baize

First Post
Heh. I said at that time that the product was solid (though still not worth the price, individually).
I liked Dana Jorgensen's product, as well, and then he chose to prove himself to have the same sort of attitude...
What you did with the Pulp Heroes line was an excellent way to handle the line.
My point is in human relations. When discussing things with customers, just be respectful (which, by the way, you were in regards to the other product mentioned above).
At any rate, you are correct in that I don't know what's between you and D. Sinclair. All I (as an observer) know is what I see in this thread. This thread isn't terribly indicative of a positive attitude in regards to your consumer base.
And really... that's rather the point.
What do we see?
An issue is brought up, and rather than addressing the issue, we see an attack by the publisher levelled at the consumer.
Man... this is your public face... All I'm really suggesting here, is that as a publisher, you may want to protect that image. Rant and rave and spit in your living room, or office or whatever... get it out of your system, but make people want to buy your product for content and because you're the kind of guy they don't mind buying from.
But it's just a suggestion, of course. Do business the way you think is proper for you and your company.

GMSkarka

Explorer
C. Baize said:
This thread isn't terribly indicative of a positive attitude in regards to your consumer base.

I disagree entirely.

In this thread, I have taken someone's issue, given a reason for my business decision, and said that I will consider the issue further if indications are that I am mistaken.

I have also had a one-post tiff with a someone who is NOT my consumer, yet still claims to have multiple copies of my products. Someone who states a direct falsehood about my products (all of our products are exported with compatibility back to Acrobat 4)...and someone who is, in fact, a sock-puppet psuedonym account for a banned publisher. *You* assumed, from that one post, that he was a consumer, and that my statement was a negative attitude towards my consumer base...which, bluntly, is more a problem with your mistaken impression than anything else.

In some views, apparently, one post, where you're not possessed of all the facts, is enough to invalidate every other post where I've gone out of my way to be accessible. To this, I can only say that I'm saddened by that, but I can't please everyone.

My sales are strong, so I must be doing something right.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads