• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adamantine and Mithral

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Technically, you can't mine anything as Mining is not a valid downtime activity. Even players who have gained mining rights to a mine (which happens in one of the earlier adventures) can't actually mine it in AL (it is basically a fluff reward).

Again, given that miner is one of the allowed backgrounds, how does that not count as either crafting or practicing a profession?

A character with the criminal background could spend their downtime running a scam or picking pockets as "practicing a profession," right?

Last edited:

I could see you practice a profession and have miner as your profession. It wouldn't actually get you physical gems or ore since you earn the coin you are paid for your service.

Nothing in the description of practicing a profession lets you get anything beyond coin to support a lifestyle:

PRACTICING A PROFESSION
You can work between adventures. allowing you to maintain a modest lifestyle without having to pay 1 gp per day (see chapter 5 for more information on lifestyle expenses). This benefit lasts as long you continue to practice your profession.

If you are a member of an organization that can provide gainful employment, such as a temple or a thieves' guild, you earn enough to support a comfortable
lifestyle instead.

If you have proficiency in the Performance skill and put your performance skill to use during your downtime, you earn enough to support a wealthy lifestyle instead.

kalani

First Post
Put simply: Don't read more into the rules than what is written. If it is not listed in the Players Handbook, you cannot craft it in AL.

Crafting allows you to make any mundane item found in your Allowed Rules (currently - the PHB, as it is the only source which lists mundane gear).
Practicing a Profession pays your lifestyle costs. In AL, there is little/no reason to use this downtime activity, except for the purpose of upgrading your lifestyle to comfortable (or wealthy) at 0 cost.

Last edited:

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
. . . And yet a Potion of Healing specifically CAN be crafted under the rules and is somehow arbitrarily non-magical. Adamantine is hard, Mithral is light, both are unusual but I see a very flimsy basis for calling either any more magical than silver is.

Honestly, I'm now at a loss as to why either of these are even listed as something to do. Training and recuperating seem to be the only downtime activities with any potential benefit.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
You can craft mundane items at half their normal cost. Practicing a profession is the only one that does (almost) nothing under AL rules.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
So would a Deep Gnome Earthspur Miner with the tools required be able to excavate a cave and tunnels to live in? Would that be "Crafting" or "Practicing a Profession?"

Starting to question whether there's any point in even having the equipment available.

kalani

First Post
Buildings and businesses are in the DMG and are not available as a player resource. Officially, you can't own property in AL outside of the specific dwelling offered as a reward in Out of the Abyss or the mine in LMoP.

Unofficially - expect table variation. DMs may allow you to have a base of operations at their table, but no other DM is expected to honor it. I myself have a Character which managed to acquire the "Swinging Sword Inn" in Red Larch (long story). Outside of gaining free food, drink and lodgings at that one table and some extra RP opportunities, it was little more than fluff.

even if your DM allows, you cannot buy dwellings or upgrades, nor can you earn a profit. This was briefly touched on in respect to Lost Mines of Phandelver (as players can earn a share in the mine)

Last edited:

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
You can't own property? Seriously? So your class equipment is on loan or something? Everything material the character has is property, they own it. If they didn't, they would not be able to sell it, as you point out in another thread. I call BS.

If it's little more than fluff, then what is the point of outlawing it? How can it possibly harm anything or anyone?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads