• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adamantine and Mithral

Kalani is specifically referring to land, homes, businesses; that sort of thing (a piece of land or real estate). Not items (that which a person owns). Same noun, different meaning.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Kalani is specifically referring to land, homes, businesses; that sort of thing (a piece of land or real estate). Not items (that which a person owns). Same noun, different meaning.

And the only practical difference being that with most personal possessions, there is no requirement to register or give notice to the state of ownership or changes in such. How does that make any difference at all? We notate equipment buy sell on log sheets anyway, how is this any different?

Not seeing how giving my gnome a home to defend and a stake in the world up top is so dangerous it can't be allowed. Nor how giving him a weapon made of a material that's background appropriate, with a net impact on mechanics smaller than silvering, is such a big scary threat. It's 90% or more fluff and flavor, flavor that is woefully lacking in these adventures. If my character can't buy a home or meaningfully practice a profession then running around killing critters results in gold and downtime that are useless and XP only useful for leveling up and killing meaner critters. Suck out all the flavor and RP motivation and you have a really dry and unrewarding tactical game.

Lame.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
There is a major difference in the rules however - personal items are found in the Allowed Rules of all story origins (the PHB specifically), while Real Estate property is found exclusively in the DMG, a rulebook which is not legal for any Story Origin.

You can own a Ship, but you can't own a business or build a house/stronghold/guild/etc. This may change in the future, should sections of the DMG be added to the Allowed Rules

With that being said:
You can purchase/own real estate if the option is provided within an adventure you are playing. Equipment, treasure, and other items found in an adventure are all legal with the following exceptions:
  • Random Magic Items are strictly prohibited.
  • If the item is scavenged from an enemies body, it has no value and becomes unusable at the end of the current session. Equipment specifically listed as treasure, and magic items found in an enemy's stat block are exceptions to this rule.

Last edited:

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
There is a major difference in the rules however - personal items are found in the Allowed Rules of all story origins (the PHB specifically), while Real Estate property is found exclusively in the DMG, a rulebook which is not legal for any Story Origin.

You can own a Ship, but you can't own a business or build a house/stronghold/guild/etc. This may change in the future, should sections of the DMG be added to the Allowed Rules

With that being said:
You can purchase/own real estate if the option is provided within an adventure you are playing. Equipment, treasure, and other items found in an adventure are all legal with the following exceptions:
  • Random Magic Items are strictly prohibited.
  • If the item is scavenged from an enemies body, it has no value and becomes unusable at the end of the current session. Equipment specifically listed as treasure, and magic items found in an enemy's stat block are exceptions to this rule.

Wow, you really told me, right? So because the PHB doesn't explicitly say I can buy or build a house, I can't. I could be wealthy or even noble, but I can't buy, make, or inherit anything I can't carry with me. That's basically your argument. So by that logic, because the monsters are in the MM, I can't fight them.

Yeah, sucking the point out of the whole endeavor. Congratulations, the game is now so portable it's barely worth taking anywhere. At that rate, why bother leveling up past 5th, really?

kalani

First Post
The ALPG lists the rules that players may use when creating and leveling a character. In the case of a rules conflict, the rules in the Adventurers League Player's Guide and the DndAL FAQ superseded those in the Player's Handbook, DMG, adventure path, or any other rules source.

Each story origin has a list of Allowed Rules for that purpose which lists the sources from which the player may choose options. Unfortunately, the DMG is not listed as an Allowed Rule for any Story Origin. Without being listed as an available source, players are prohibited from using that resource when building or leveling their character, and for the purpose of choosing equipment and the like.

Players from the Tyranny of Dragons and Rage of Demons story origins for example, are barred from choosing options out of the Elemental Evil Players Companion or Princes of the Apocalypse, for similar reeasons, as these sources are exclusive to the Elemental Evil story origin.

Once the announcement has been made, some/all of the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide will be made legal. The assumption is that it will be made legal (in part) for the Season 3 story origin. It is entirely possible that it will be a resource exclusive to that story origin, and as such be prohibited to characters from the Tyranny of Dragons and Elemental Evil story origins.

That is how Story Origins work. They list the rules sources you are allowed to access for your character. Outside of those rules sources, you are limited to the options found specifically within an adventure, on the DndAL website (assuming the article is legal for your Story Origin) or from a certificate.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Which has nothing to do with much of what I've been talking about. What in the name of god does story origin have to do with a 4th or 5th level character wanting to build a home? NOTHING. In what way is adamantine or Mithril inherently magical if not imbued with a spell? I hear either crickets chirping or non-sequiturs.

You have no sensible answers, so you change the subject. Great advertisement for AL.

kalani

First Post
Yes it does. Building a home is an optional rule in the DMG. The players guide specifically states that optional and variant rules from the DMG are prohibited (with the exception of playing on a grid). Furthermore, the DMG is not listed as an allowed rule for players.

For your convenience, here are the relevant rules sections I am referring to.

Downtime Activities [AL Player's Guide, p5-6]
  • Lists Crafting, Practicing a Profession, Recuperating, Training, Downtime Catchup (sidebar p6), and spellcasting services (sidebar p5).
Other Activities: Certain adventures might have special downtime activities available, and higherranking faction members get access to special downtime activities exclusive to their faction.

• These activities include: Faction-specific downtime activities in Mulmaster (p23) and Hillsfar (p9), exclusive to characters of Rank 3+
  • Also includes unique downtime activities in adventures (eg. carrousing in an expedition) and the Cloak Duties downtime activity from the DndAL website.
While additional Downtime Options exist in the DMG (p129+), none of these options are legal in AL (except in the event they are specifically included within an adventure or other official documentation). This includes "Building a Stronghold (which is the downtime activity required to build/purchase an abode).

Allowed Rules [AL Player's Guide, p3]
Characters originating during the Rage of Demons storyline season can use the following rules for character options:
• D&D Basic Rules (all rules except rolling ability scores and hit points, rolling for starting wealth, some alignment restrictions)
• D&D Player’s Handbook™ (all rules except rolling ability scores and hit points, some alignment restrictions)
• Out of the Abyss™ appendix A
• Monster Manual™ appendix A (beasts only)

Official documentation, such as a D&D Adventurers League certificate, might provide exceptions to the allowed rules. Spells, race, or class features in the allowed rules that specifically reference a creature not
found in the allowed rules in order for them to function properly are also an exception to these rules.
Similar lists for the Tyranny of Dragons and Elemental Evilstory origins are found on p22, and p23 respectively.

None of these story origins list "Dungeon Master's Guide as a valid PC rules source

Rules for Dungeon Masters [AL Player's Guide, p11]The variant rules for “Playing on a Grid” in the D&D Basic Rules and Player’s Handbook can be used if you and your players wish. Dungeon Masters should feel free to use the Dungeon Masters Guide to help run
games if they so choose. However, D&D Adventurers League play does not use any other optional or variant rules as presented in the Dungeon Master’s Guide.

As such, nothing in the DMG is a legal option for players without a certificate (eg. Aasimar/ death cleric) or because it was specifically earned within an adventure (magi. Items or abodes)

Players likewise cannot craft magic items, run a business, or go carousing as downtime activities with one exception (carousing was specifically allowed in a single expedition).

Last edited:

Neorealist

First Post
"As a crafting activity, can he mine Mithral or Adamantine?" - No
How about gems? - No
If so how would he go about that? - They cannot, so this is moot.
"If he gains proficiency with smith's tools, could he both mine materials and forge/upgrade his own gear? Not talking about enspelling anything, just working with +0 items with properties derived from their materials, as is done routinely with silvering weapons." - No

In the interest of saving time: Your questions have been answered. 'Why' the rules are set up in such a fashion is irrelevant to your initial question. Also: If you find those rules are arbitrary and/or feel they do not make logical or consistent sense, that is also irrelevant to your initial questions.

Feel free to continue to argue with the other posters who are trying to help you if it makes you happy, but at least do so with the understanding that you have been provided the exact answer you requested and are now rejecting.

Mirtek

Hero
So by that logic, because the monsters are in the MM, I can't fight them.
Actually yes. Thats why you need an adventure explicitly telling you what Monsters you can fight and a DM can not add Monsters not in the adventure.
In what way is adamantine or Mithril inherently magical if not imbued with a spell?
in the way that they are listed in the DMG under magical items and not in the PHB under mundane items

Last edited:

Its beginning to appear that TwinPeaksGuy is simply trolling (not understanding property for instance). I suggest we all end this thread and stop engaging him/her.

Remove ads