D&D 5E Adding multiclass feats to prevent cheesy level dips and help true dual class level splits.

NotAYakk

Legend
Multiple martial classes multiclass really, really well together. There is a single dead level at the 5th level of the 2nd multiclass class, but for the most part, all of their other mechanics add together (or better, multiply).

The "you don't get access to actual higher level spells" makes anything but shallow multiclassing of full casters usually suck. You still get the slots, but not the spells.

Many melee classes are front loaded; level 1-4 gives more toys than levels 6-9. So grabbing 1-4 levels of another class gives you lots of toys to work with. Then the dead level at 5 makes reaching 6 overly expensive, even if the feature is nice. So you only level one of your classes past 5. The earliest point where you make this choice is 6/6 or 4/8, and the level 7 and 8 features of class A are usually better than the level 6 feature of class B.

In practice, characters are in the level 3-12 range; few people play high level D&D. Level 20 builds are usually white-room. Going level 5 (extra attack is an extra-large feature) then dipping another class for some interesting features becomes very tempting. So now you have a plan to level 9. Going from 9 to 12, your choices are 4/5678 or having a dead level.

Going 01, 11, 12, 22, 23, 33, 34, 44, 45 is painful, because you wait so long for that extra attack feature. But, a 2/3 with extra attack is probably going to dominate a 5 pure class, as they have gotten 5 levels of features while the 5 pure class got 4, plus extra attack.

One really crazy idea is to skip the extra attack level on the feature track of your second class. You just start getting level 6 features at level 5 in that class, etc. You can also permit someone who already has 4 levels of "extra attack class" levels to grab extra attack on its next level up in an "extra attack class", delaying that classes non-spellcasting features by 1 level until it catches up at the extra attack level (if ever).

Gadget

Adventurer
I like the idea, as I too find it too easy to dip in some classes for features, but I also realize it is hard to do with feats due to some classes having more features to give in feats and others less. Keep up the good work.

delphonso

Explorer
This would likely do the opposite of what you want. This provides even more benefit for 1 level dips, by making the dips stronger with a feat.

A level 10 character could be 8 of one class, get two feats which would let them get the abilities of two other classes, if they wanted.

Horwath

Legend
This would likely do the opposite of what you want. This provides even more benefit for 1 level dips, by making the dips stronger with a feat.

A level 10 character could be 8 of one class, get two feats which would let them get the abilities of two other classes, if they wanted.

As I mentioned this feats are for variant that your two classes MUST be within one level of each other, so for level 10 character your only option is 5/5 split.

delphonso

Explorer
As I mentioned this feats are for variant that your two classes MUST be within one level of each other, so for level 10 character your only option is 5/5 split.

Sorry about that, totally glazed over it.

In that case, I think this is a reasonable solution to the overwhelming sacrifices that multiclassing needs.

One thing might be to adjust the Fighter - I'm not quite sure how to work it, so that the levels in another martial class only count for half until you reach your second attack. It's getting that second attack early that's really crucial for this.

Then decide how you want to work it best from there. You're never actually going to reach Fighter 11. So just decide what level if any they should get the 3rd attack. Possibly let them get that 3rd attack as they're level 20 capstone and build it into the feat.

Quartz

Hero
These feat are meant for multiclass characters that have only 2 classes and classes are always within 1 level from each other.

I think that you should pinch the Gestalt rules from 3E. If you're allowing multiclassing this way, let everyone do it. PCs are still limited by action economy.

Remove ads