D&D 5E Adding Racial/Lineage Traits That Feel Meaningful [+]

Horwath

Legend
what would people's opinions be if races were instead designed more as if they were 'micro-classes' that gained additional or stronger abilities as the character levelled up? A 3rd level dragonborn might only have a 15ft cone for their breath weapon and resistance to their element but the same character at 18th level would have a 30ft breath weapon, actually absorbs their element, as well as also having some inspiring draconic presence and has grown wings for flight too? very little about a character's race scales at all which is honestly a bit odd if you think about it.
As @Blue mentioned. we have few races that get more abilities at levels 3 and 5. we could get another boost at lvl11(next tier of play), but that is it. Racial abilities do not need to be prolonged to levels 17+. Even level 11 seems too long. Might be better if that is level 7.

Add one or two half-feats for each race to build upon existing stuff or new that would be too powerful for level 1 "race budget" and we are good to go.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
oh i was well aware that there were certain racial abilities that scaled and a small few that aren't given to you out of the gates [i was only vaguely aware of racial feats as a thing and did forget to consider their existance] but for the most part races give you everything you're going to get from you the moment you pick them at level 1, i just thought the idea of developing and unlocking more of your species inherent capabilities as your character becomes stronger would make them more interesting and more of an important factor to consider, move things away from class being basically everything that determine your abilities besides perhaps a feat or a magic item.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases