• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Additive versus subtractive modularity

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

* = It's definitely not a completely safe bet, though - both the "new to RPGs" players in my 4E group loooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaathe the 5E style of spellcasting. They really bloody hate it. They have not been encouraged to think that way, either - I always put a positive spin on whatever I am running, and found myself arguing for the benefits for 5E's system during the playtests I did! But gosh, those two, who are not 4E fanatics (happy to play other RPGs), they just do not like spell memorization/preparation, lots of spell slots, nor spells with mechanics such that you need to read the entire spell in detail to understand how they work.

Obviously, they can "just not play casters", but when one of them is the only player I've ever met who enjoys playing Clerics and healers generally, and the other pretty much always wants to be a robed finger-wiggler, conceptually, it's kind of an issue... :)

<snip>

Heh. I'm in the opposite camp I dislike the new casting system at least as much as I dislike 4e's system. I really enjoy the 1e-3e system with strongest preference on 1e though. My favourite systems for casting aren't found in the D&D family though.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Not everyone loves D&D. The world is full of roleplaying games. Spell prep though is very D&D. It's iconic. So objecting to some classes having it is just an objection to D&D in general. Wanting D&D to branch out and cover other ways of viewing magic is okay. Playing a different game is okay too.

Remove ads