[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

Deimos does something really stupid...

sorry, I messed this up :(

Now it's my turn to ask why didn't you wait, with +2 aid Bellegon has +13 mod to succeed on the last one. :p Heh! No matter, now we kill tons of undead and become most powerful undead slayers in history (assuming we survive so someone get to know about it :) )

Now, [MENTION=6671055]horticulture[/MENTION], could I try to help this last roll with my (not great) Religion (or Arcana)? To avoid catastrophe?

drothgery

First Post
OOC: A level 7, complexity 3 skill challenge wasn't a sure thing. I ran some of the numbers (assuming a +11 bonus to a roll), there was about a two in three chance of success, though when we failed the first check right away, our chance of success dropped to about 45%.
OOC: .. and I held off on posting because I'd just be guessing on the DC for using a non-listed skill. If Arcana had been a core skill for this skill challenge and everything else was the same, it would have been impossible for us to fail, as Tana always succeeds on a DC 16 Arcana check.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: .. and I held off on posting because I'd just be guessing on the DC for using a non-listed skill. If Arcana had been a core skill for this skill challenge and everything else was the same, it would have been impossible for us to fail, as Tana always succeeds on a DC 16 Arcana check.

OOC: A lot of times I've seen non-listed skills use the hard DC for the level, which for level 7 is 23. Probably wouldn't have been worse than that.

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
sorry, I messed this up :(
horticulture, did you count my first roll here?:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/5581111-post217.html
GM: I did indeed count your last roll.

Now, [MENTION=6671055]horticulture[/MENTION], could I try to help this last roll with my (not great) Religion (or Arcana)? To avoid catastrophe?

GM: I'm going to say, no, for reasons I will explain later in the post.

OOC: A lot of times I've seen non-listed skills use the hard DC for the level, which for level 7 is 23. Probably wouldn't have been worse than that.

GM: I actually posted an sblock labeled Addendum that explained what I should have been in the skill challenge all along, so some people might have missed it. I know once I've read stuff like that the first time, I normally don't go back and read it again.

As with all skill challenges, feel free to use any skill you would like, even if it's not listed, as long as you can come up with a plausible reason to use it. The DC for those checks would be the same as the listed primary checks (DC 16).

As for the failure, more zombies will come and the skill challenge will continue. Now that we've reached the three failures, I'll tell you this: there is no real way to fail this skill challenge. The group will continue to make skill checks until they reach the required number. Each failure will continue to let zombies into the temple, however.

I'll post the beginning of the combat in a few hours.

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
GM: ...a few hours later. :eek:
An unexpected foul word from Deimos catches the group by surprise; their pause in the work of fortifying the temple allows another group of undead to breach through one of the doors.
[sblock=Initiative]Bellegon, Brondin, Deimos, Ghourra, Tana, Monsters (1d20+6=14, 1d20+2=5, 1d20+3=9, 1d20+2=8, 1d20+3=5, 1d20+1=7)
  • Bellegon - 14
  • Deimos - 9
  • Ghourra - 9
  • Monsters - 7
  • Brondin - 5
  • Tana - 5

Bellegon, Deimos, and Ghourra before the monsters.[/sblock][sblock=Please Read]
GM: Here's how this will work: The skill challenge will still continue through the combat. If there isn't at least one primary skill check, or there is a failed primary skill check at any time, during the round, more zombies will enter the fight. So, the group will have to decide how much emphasis they want to put on fortifying the temple defenses and how much they want on quelling the zombie surge.

Each primary skill (Athletics, Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery) requires a standard action; Perception requires a minor action.

See Skill Challenge Status sblock for current totals.
[/sblock][sblock=ADDENDUM]As with all skill challenges, if you have a skill not listed within the primary skill list, but can come up with a way that will allow it to be useful (as a couple of people have asked about Arcana) feel free to use it. The DC for the check will be the same as the other primary skill checks.

I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.[/sblock][sblock=Skill Challenge Status]
  • Current Successes: 7
  • Failures: 3
Ghourra is providing a +2 to the next Thievery or Dungeoneering check.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
encounter2rnd5.png
[/sblock][sblock=Status]Bellegon (G18) - HP: 50/50, Surges: 5/7, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Brondin (J15) - HP: 28/48, Surges: 9/11, AP: 0, Second Wind: avail
Deimos (I5) - HP: 40/40, Surges: 7/8, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Ghourra (J17) - HP: 42/42, Surges: 7/10, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Tana (K15) - HP: 40/49, Surges: 11/11, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail

Zombie Soldier (E8) - HP: 54/54
Zombie Rotters (C7, D9, D11) - HP: 1/1
[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]Zombie Soldier - AC: 20, F: 17, R: 17, W: 15
:melee: +9 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Zombie Rotter - AC: 15, F: 15, R: 11, W: 12
:melee: +10 vs. AC; 5 damage.[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
Ghourra moves towards the new disturbance, tossing her weapon at the lead zombie with a grunt. The blade digs into the side of the zombie, opening a wound that her allies can exploit.

"Quickly, someone seal the last breach! Brondin, head them off before they get to the altar!"

[sblock=actions]Move: G14
Standard: Paint the Bulls-Eye (1d20+10=24, 2d6.minroll(2)+4=14) (HIT)
Minor:
Inspiring Word (1d6=2) (Brondin)[/sblock]

OOC: Ghourra hits the zombie soldier for 14 points of damage. All my allies gain a +4 power bonus to damage rolls against the soldier until the start of my next turn.

Ghourra heals Brondin for a surge + 2.

[sblock=Ghourra Gravedigger]Status:

Ghourra Gravedigger - Level 4 Cleric|Warlord
Init: +2 Speed: 5
Passive Perception: 23; Passive Insight: 18
AC: 21 Fort 18 Ref 13 Will 18
HP: 42/42 Surges: 7/10 Surge Value: 10 AP: 0
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Str:18 Con:15 Dex:10 Int:8 Wis:18 Cha:10

Powers:
Brand of the Sun
Paint the Bulls-Eye

Incredible Toughness[]
Inspiring Word[x]
Healing Word[]
Healer's Mercy[]
Healing Strike[x]
Deadly Distraction[]
Second Wind[]

Inspiring Shot[]
Resurgent Strength[]
Dwarven Armor[]
Dwarven Thrower Gouge[]
[/sblock]

Bellegon quickly moves closer to the undead. Pointing at the most powerful foe, small shadow flits over it and it gazes into bottomless pits of doom through drow's eyes. The aura around the warlock fairly hums with power now and small part of that power is channeled by the rod to enhance already terrible power.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: H12, shadowwalk concealment
Minor: Curse the soldier
Standard: Spiteful Glamor vs Will; psychic damage (1d20+9+1=22, 1d8+6+7+4=24) curse damage (1d6=1)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

Deimos silently curses himself for pronouncing the words that badly. But he quickly moves to correct at least a bit of his failure...
The tougher looking one is forced back and two fall to the ground, lifeless again, only the one farthest away remained unaffected by Deimos magic.

[sblock=OOC]

Move: to 6F
Standard: Beguiling Starnds up right (target will)
Pushes the soldier 5 to the right and inflicts 5 damage on him (AOs from allies?
Kills 7C and 9D rotter.

Immediate Interruption: Shield (if it prevents a hit)
Immediate Reaction: Infernal Wrath (if hit by enemy in range)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.5
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Scorching Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
Unperturbed by the sudden loss of two of the other undead, the remaining monsters move toward the closest living being - Bellegon. Both lash out at the drow, gashing him with a rusty longsword and clawing him with a gnarled hand. Their unceasing moans rent the air, providing a counterpoint to the lower droning of the hundreds of undead pounding on the exterior of the forgotten temple.

The light of dawn seems a long way off, a distant hope of salvation; seemingly too far away to provide any warmth.
[sblock=Enemy Actions]Zombie Soldier (G12)
Move - > G12
Standard -
  • Target - Bellegon
  • Attack - Longsword vs. AC 18; 1d20+9=18
  • Damage - Longsword; 2d6+5=11

Zombie Rotter (G11)
Move - > G11
Standard -
  • Target - Bellegon
  • Attack - Slam vs. AC 18; 1d20+10=29; 5 damage.
[/sblock][sblock=Please Read]
GM: Here's how this will work: The skill challenge will still continue through the combat. If there isn't at least one primary skill check, or there is a failed primary skill check at any time, during the round, more zombies will enter the fight. So, the group will have to decide how much emphasis they want to put on fortifying the temple defenses and how much they want on quelling the zombie surge.

Each primary skill (Athletics, Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery) requires a standard action; Perception requires a minor action.

See Skill Challenge Status sblock for current totals.
[/sblock][sblock=ADDENDUM]As with all skill challenges, if you have a skill not listed within the primary skill list, but can come up with a way that will allow it to be useful (as a couple of people have asked about Arcana) feel free to use it. The DC for the check will be the same as the other primary skill checks.

I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.[/sblock][sblock=Skill Challenge Status]
  • Current Successes: 7
  • Failures: 3
Ghourra is providing a +2 to the next Thievery or Dungeoneering check.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
encounter2rnd6.png
[/sblock][sblock=Status]Bellegon (H12) - HP: 34/50, Surges: 5/7, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Brondin (J15) - HP: 42/48, Surges: 8/11, AP: 0, Second Wind: avail
Deimos (F6) - HP: 40/40, Surges: 7/8, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Ghourra (G15) - HP: 42/42, Surges: 7/10, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Tana (K15) - HP: 40/49, Surges: 11/11, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail

Zombie Soldier (G12) - HP: 11/54; bloodied, cursed by Bellegon
Zombie Rotters (G11) - HP: 1/1
[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]Zombie Soldier - AC: 20, F: 17, R: 17, W: 15
:melee: +9 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Zombie Rotter - AC: 15, F: 15, R: 11, W: 12
:melee: +10 vs. AC; 5 damage.[/sblock]

Remove ads