• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

Walking Dad

First Post

As for Deimos attacking, I agree you should blast them...it was more in-game comment so the group gets rid of the crystal

OOC: Understood, but Deimos already stated that destroying it during the night will do us no good (only make the zombies go frenzy after us). We should wait for a new map to see where the new enemies enter before making attacks. If they come out far away of Deimos, but near to Brodin, Deimos will make the skill challenge roll.

drothgery

First Post
OOC: Do zombies pop up immediately, or at the end of this player phase? Which is to say - does it make sense for Tana (and anyone who hasn't acted yet) to try a skill check if they think they can do so usefully?

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
OOC: Do zombies pop up immediately, or at the end of this player phase? Which is to say - does it make sense for Tana (and anyone who hasn't acted yet) to try a skill check if they think they can do so usefully?

GM: They come in immediately. And, for the group's information, EACH failure will allow more zombies to enter, not just the first failed skill roll - in case anyone was wondering.

I'll post a new map in a moment.

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
The hole in the middle of the temple floor gives birth to another group of slavering zombies, each clawing their way inside. They moan unceasingly in their search for living flesh.
[sblock=Initiative]Bellegon, Brondin, Deimos, Ghourra, Tana, Monsters (1d20+6=9, 1d20+2=20, 1d20+3=15, 1d20+2=9, 1d20+3=5, 1d20+1=19)
  • Brondin - 20
  • Monsters - 19
  • Deimos - 15
  • Bellegon - 9
  • Ghourra - 9
  • Tana - 5

Only Brondin goes before the monsters.[/sblock][sblock=Please Read]
GM: Here's how this will work: The skill challenge will still continue through the combat. If there isn't at least one primary skill check, or there is a failed primary skill check at any time, during the round, more zombies will enter the fight. So, the group will have to decide how much emphasis they want to put on fortifying the temple defenses and how much they want on quelling the zombie surge.

Each primary skill (Athletics, Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery) requires a standard action; Perception requires a minor action.

See Skill Challenge Status sblock for current totals.
[/sblock][sblock=ADDENDUM]As with all skill challenges, if you have a skill not listed within the primary skill list, but can come up with a way that will allow it to be useful (as a couple of people have asked about Arcana) feel free to use it. The DC for the check will be the same as the other primary skill checks.

I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.[/sblock][sblock=Skill Challenge Status]
  • Current Successes: 5
  • Failures: 2
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
encounter2rnd3.png
[/sblock][sblock=Status]Bellegon (C18) - HP: 50/50, Surges: 5/7, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Brondin (N10) - HP: 45/48, Surges: 9/11, AP: 0, Second Wind: avail
Deimos (I5) - HP: 40/40, Surges: 7/8, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Ghourra (K16) - HP: 42/42, Surges: 7/10, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Tana (L14) - HP: 40/49, Surges: 11/11, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail

Zombie Soldier (H17) - HP: 54/54
Zombie Rotters (G15, G16, J16) - HP: 1/1
[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]Zombie Soldier - AC: 20, F: 17, R: 17, W: 15
:melee: +9 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Zombie Rotter - AC: 15, F: 15, R: 11, W: 12
:melee: +10 vs. AC; 5 damage.[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
Brondin ”These durned zombies keep comin’! We must hold the temple!”, Brondin exclaims. ”Onatar, lend me yer strength!” As if in answer, Brondin’s warhammer flares a pearlescent white glow.

Spurred by Onatar’s Divine might, Brondin tromps over to the new hole just as the hammer’s light flares a second time, catching all the zombies within its holy radiance.

[sblock=Actions]Summary:
Minor: prayer to Onatar (non-skill check)
Move: N10>J15
RUNE STATE: PROTECTION
Standard: Rune of Undeniable Dawn: close burst 3, enemies only. Zombie Rotter (J16), Zombie Soldier (H17), Zombie Rotter (G16), and Zombie Rotter (G15) vs. AC; 1d10+4 radiant damage. Burst creates a zone TENT. Brondin and allies within zone gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses. (sustain Minor) MISS: Half Damage
(1d20+6=22, 1d20+6=18, 1d20+6=17, 1d20+6=7, 1d10+4=7; Hits ZR (J16) and ZR (G16) for 7 radiant damage. ZS (H17) takes a weak 3 radiant damage (no damage to ZR (G15) as it is a minion).
Free: -
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats] Status: Wrathful Hammer: Brondin gains a +3 (Con mod) bonus to damage against any enemy that damaged him TENT

Rune State:
[ ] Destruction: (Allies gain +1 bonus to attack rolls against enemies adjacent to Brondin.)

[ X ] Protection: (Allies gain Resist 2 to all damage while adjacent to Brondin.)

Brondin Hurndin
Level 4 Runepriest|Warden
Init: +2 Speed: 5
Passive Perception:13; Passive Insight: 13
AC: 20 Fort 18 Ref 16 Will 16
HP: 45/48 Surges: 9/11 Surge Value: 12 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Str:20 Dex:14 Wis:12 Con:16 Int:8 Cha:10

Powers:
Warden's Fury, Warden's Grasp, Weight of Earth, Rune of Diminishment
Dwarven Resilience, Rune of Mending, Roots of Stone, Word of the Blinding Shield
Rune of Undeniable Dawn, Shield of Sacrifice
Dwarven Chainmail +1 (Daily Power), Potion of Healing, Vial of Holy Water[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
[sblock=OOC] [MENTION=6671055]horticulture[/MENTION] , I will be on a family trip this weekend wit no guaranteed Internet access.

If you have to wait too long for my action, please roll for me.

Deimos will do a religion check at his first turn and a magic missle against the minion if he still stands. If not, against the other enemy.
[/sblock]

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
With holy light bright as the noon day sun, Brondin lays low two of the zombies and leaves a protective aura for his allies to use in their assault.

A zombie, dragging a longsword, moves toward the shouting warden and swings its rusted weapon at him. The undead catches the dwarf whilst he's praying, stabbing him deep into his shoulder. The other remaining zombie shambles over to the drow and slams a dirty, clawed hand against Bellegon's arm, drawing blood.

GM: You know, I've been watching the thread for the past two days and have been thinking, "What's taking them so long? They never take this much time to post." Then I realized everyone was waiting on me. And then I realized I'm a moron. :(

Players' turn now.

[sblock=Enemy Actions]Zombie Soldier (J16)
Move - > J16
Standard -
  • Target - Brondin
  • Attack - Longsword vs. AC 22; 1d20+9=29; CRIT 17 damage.

Zombie Rotter (D17)
Move - > D17
Standard -
  • Target - Bellegon
  • Attack - Slam vs. AC 18; 1d20+10=29; 5 damage.
[/sblock][sblock=Please Read]
GM: Here's how this will work: The skill challenge will still continue through the combat. If there isn't at least one primary skill check, or there is a failed primary skill check at any time, during the round, more zombies will enter the fight. So, the group will have to decide how much emphasis they want to put on fortifying the temple defenses and how much they want on quelling the zombie surge.

Each primary skill (Athletics, Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery) requires a standard action; Perception requires a minor action.

See Skill Challenge Status sblock for current totals.
[/sblock][sblock=ADDENDUM]As with all skill challenges, if you have a skill not listed within the primary skill list, but can come up with a way that will allow it to be useful (as a couple of people have asked about Arcana) feel free to use it. The DC for the check will be the same as the other primary skill checks.

I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.[/sblock][sblock=Skill Challenge Status]
  • Current Successes: 5
  • Failures: 2
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
encounter2rnd4.png

Green aura is Brondin's Rune of Undeniable Dawn. Allies receive +2 to defenses while in it.[/sblock][sblock=Status]Bellegon (C18) - HP: 45/50, Surges: 5/7, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Brondin (J15) - HP: 28/48, Surges: 9/11, AP: 0, Second Wind: avail; +2 all defenses
Deimos (I5) - HP: 40/40, Surges: 7/8, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail
Ghourra (K16) - HP: 42/42, Surges: 7/10, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail; +2 all defenses
Tana (L14) - HP: 40/49, Surges: 11/11, AP: 1, Second Wind: avail; +2 all defenses

Zombie Soldier (J16) - HP: 46/54
Zombie Rotters (D17) - HP: 1/1
[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]Zombie Soldier - AC: 20, F: 17, R: 17, W: 15
:melee: +9 vs. AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Imm. Int. (when an adjacent foe attacks a zombie rotter) - +9 vs. AC; 1d8+5 damage, and the target suffers -4 to triggering attack.
Zombie Rotter - AC: 15, F: 15, R: 11, W: 12
:melee: +10 vs. AC; 5 damage.[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
Ghourra's weapon alights with radiance as she twice tries to strike at the zombie soldier. The dead is not as slow in mind or reflexes as Ghourra first thought, as it blocks both her attacks. She conintues to point out more places to shore up the defenses of the temple.

[sblock=actions]Move: Shift to J17
Standard: Healing Strike (1d20+10+2=17, 4d6.minroll(2)+8=21)
Action Point: Brand of the Sun (1d20+10+2=16, 2d6.minroll(2)+8=17)
Minor: Perception (Auto-Success)[/sblock]

[sblock=Ghourra Gravedigger]Status:

Ghourra Gravedigger - Level 4 Cleric|Warlord
Init: +2 Speed: 5
Passive Perception: 23; Passive Insight: 18
AC: 21 Fort 18 Ref 13 Will 18
HP: 42/42 Surges: 7/10 Surge Value: 10 AP: 0
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Str:18 Con:15 Dex:10 Int:8 Wis:18 Cha:10

Powers:
Brand of the Sun
Paint the Bulls-Eye

Incredible Toughness[]
Inspiring Word[]
Healing Word[]
Healer's Mercy[]
Healing Strike[x]
Deadly Distraction[]
Second Wind[]

Inspiring Shot[]
Resurgent Strength[]
Dwarven Armor[]
Dwarven Thrower Gouge[]
[/sblock]

drothgery

First Post
Tana steps into melee with the zombie solier, and then flashes her rapier, badly damaging the undead thing.[sblock=actions]minor: mark Zombie Soldier with her Aegis of shielding
move: shift to K15
standard: booming blade vs. Zombie Soldier's AC
atk (no combat advantage from flanking, so should be +12, but doesn't matter since it's a crit); dmg (1d20+14=34, 1d8+7=14) Critical hit, so critical dmg (2d6=11); 26 thunder damage, and if the target is adjacent to Tana at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6 + 3 thunder damage. White Lotus Riposte applies as well (so if it does attack her, it takes 5 thunder damage).[/sblock][sblock=immediate interrupt]if the Zombie attacks anyone other than Tana, she will use Aegis of Shielding to reduce the damage by 8[/sblock][sblock=Tana]Tana—Female Gnome Swordmage 4
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 12
AC: 24, Fort: 16, Reflex: 18, Will: 15; — Speed: 5
HP: 40/49, Bloodied: 24, Surge: 12, Surges left: 11/11;
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers -
Sword Burst
Booming Blade
Fade Away
Ghost Sound
Sword of Sigils
Dimensional Vortex
Channeling Shield