[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
[sblock=horticulture]Yes, but if every failed check will attract more zombies and we need to succeed only ones per round to avoid it, it would be foolish to make more checks after the first successful until the current zombies are finished of.

1st check, succeeds
other attack -> quick zombie death

1st check, succeeds
2nd check, fails
others attack -> 1 less attacks vs zombies and the zombies gain reinforcement.

You note that the rules make it better to stop rolling for the challenge in the same round after the first success than trying to reinforce the temple with more checks.
New enemies only arrive on failure or no one succeeds.[/sblock]

GM: I understand that, and if that's the route the group wants to take, feel free. :)

jsb420

First Post
OOC: The way I see it is we're damned if we do [it wrong - fail a check], we're damned if we don't [do any check].

I say we have 2 people focus on the skill check, one primary (most likely to succeed) and a secondary (next likely to succeed). The secondary person is only there if the primary person fails his check. If the primary person succeeds, that leaves 5 people to kill the bad guys or attempt a check/aid another. Also, Ghourra auto-succeeds the Perception (granting a bonus to primary/secondary person).

Again referring to the matrix, BellEgon has +11 Thievery, Deimos has +11 Religion, and Brondin has +11 Athletics, +10 Dungeoneering (+8 Thievery).

I volunteer Brondin to be the secondary person. Good skill sets for the Skill Challenge and also a stout defender. Bellegon and Deimos can decide who is primary in this case.

Questions? Ideas?

Last edited:

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
The combined assault from the heroes quickly drops the slavering undead to the ground, ending its unatural undeath.
GM: Tana bloodied the zombie and Deimos ended up killing it. So, we'll transition back to one skill check per character per round.

Or however the group wants to do it. :D

Please see the Skill Challenge Status sblock for current totals.

[sblock=Please Read]
GM: Here's how this will work: The skill challenge will still continue through the combat. If there isn't at least one primary skill check, or there is a failed primary skill check at any time, during the round, more zombies will enter the fight. So, the group will have to decide how much emphasis they want to put on fortifying the temple defenses and how much they want on quelling the zombie surge.

Each primary skill (Athletics, Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery) requires a standard action; Perception requires a minor action.

See Skill Challenge Status sblock for current totals.
[/sblock]
[sblock=ADDENDUM]As with all skill challenges, if you have a skill not listed within the primary skill list, but can come up with a way that will allow it to be useful (as a couple of people have asked about Arcana) feel free to use it. The DC for the check will be the same as the other primary skill checks.

I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.[/sblock][sblock=Skill Challenge Status]
  • Current Successes: 4
  • Failures: 1

Ghourra is providing a +2 to the next Thievery or Dungeoneering check.[/sblock]
[sblock=Zombie-Proofing the Temple]Level: 7
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 3 failures).
Primary Skills: Athletics, Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery.
  • Athletics (DC 16, standard action, 1 success, no maximum): The character realizes finesse is no trade for quick and effective physical labor. The character pounds nails, carries heavy objects, and uses brute strength shove invading zombies back through the doors.
  • Dungeoneering (DC 16, standard action, 1 success, no maximum): The character’s knowledge of stone and underground construction lets him or her see how the temple might best be fortified using the meager supplies available.
  • Religion (DC 16, standard action, 1 success, no maximum): The character offers a prayer to Onatar, asking him to lend his strength to the characters’ endeavor and slow the tide of undead seeking to further desecrate his temple.
  • Thievery (DC 16, standard action, 1 success, no maximum): The character has spent a lifetime getting into places he or she is not wanted. It’s not terribly difficult to turn that concept on its head and use those skills to craft sturdy barricades.
Secondary Skills: Perception.
  • Perception (DC 11, minor action, no successes): The character’s keen eyes help more skilled companions find the best materials to aid in fortifying the temple. A successful check grants a +2 bonus to one ally’s next Dungeoneering or Thievery check made as part of this skill challenge.
[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
Brondin takes a second to survey the temple. Seeing the statues and the book shelves, he thinks he can devise a way to use them as obstacles to barricade the door the zombies entered.

He returns to the defiled statue. With a well placed hammer strike, that statue’d fer sure come down. Brondin muses. Making use of his knowledge of making for traps the Warder’s guild, as well as tunneling from back when he was in Mror Holds, Brondin swings his hammer at the base of the statue.

With a loud CRACK!, the statue topples. ”Ghourra, lass, would ya be so kind as ta help me wit this?“ , says Brondin, pointing at the fallen marble statue. ”Now, let’s block that door.”. Tucking his beard into his belt, he wipes his bald head and then proceeds to drag the statue in front of the door.

[sblock=Actions]Summary:
Move: towards statue N10
Minor: wipes his brow from workin’ so hard
Standard: Dungeoneering +10+2(Ghourra) (1d20+10+2=21)
Free:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats] Status: Wrathful Hammer: Brondin gains a +3 (Con mod) bonus to damage against any enemy that damaged him TENT

Rune State:
[ ] Destruction: (Allies gain +1 bonus to attack rolls against enemies adjacent to Brondin.)

[ ] Protection: (Allies gain Resist 2 to all damage while adjacent to Brondin.)

Brondin Hurndin
Level 4 Runepriest|Warden
Init: +2 Speed: 5
Passive Perception:13; Passive Insight: 13
AC: 20 Fort 18 Ref 16 Will 16
HP: 45/48 Surges: 9/11 Surge Value: 12 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Str:20 Dex:14 Wis:12 Con:16 Int:8 Cha:10

Powers:
Warden's Fury, Warden's Grasp, Weight of Earth, Rune of Diminishment
Dwarven Resilience, Rune of Mending, Roots of Stone, Word of the Blinding Shield
Rune of Undeniable Dawn, Shield of Sacrifice
Dwarven Chainmail +1 (Daily Power), Potion of Healing, Vial of Holy Water[/sblock]

"I'll rig the other door. Deimos, continue with the ritual and keep your focus, we'll keep undead off your back."

Bellegon starts fiddling with the side doors. While he did prepare trip wire, he misjudged it's reach and as he tried to pull it taut, he accidentaly pushed the door open for a moment. Predictably, undead slipped inside immediately.

"Aargh! Idiot!"

Thievery to setup traps (1d20+11=12) - natural one is natural one.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: Metavoid. why were you rolling? Brodin already succeeded for this round. Also, Deimos should attack the zombies coming in, having the best area at-wills, not risking to draw more by a bad roll.

[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION]: Because ANY failed roll would get the zombies and it makes no sense to wait between the rounds. I could've waited and then fail the roll as first roll in the next round (and risk that subsequent roll also fails). And we killed the last zombie...

It makes sense that NOW nobody makes additional rolls. Other then that, I fail this roll on 3 so very little chance (obviously not little enough)

As for Deimos attacking, I agree you should blast them...it was more in-game comment so the group gets rid of the crystal

"Hey, Deimos, could you use that crystal to control the zombies? To make them stop attacking?"

Remove ads