• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Just Before Nightfall (DM:johnmeier1, Judge:Ozymandias79)

johnmeier1

Explorer
Tonk's knife causes the delirious Hausk to struggle in her bonds, tightening the ropes. The punch opens her mouth and after the toe is thrust inside she instinctively swallows before starting to gag. Vomit foams about Tonk's hands and out her nose. As the heroes talk she slips further into unconsciousness, her dwarven resilience broken.

The sun is fading in the sky with the last red streaks of daylight in the sky. The forest about beings to look more ominous although the village is only 5 minutes walk away.

[sblock=Janus] You did read the Knowledge: Religion about vampires right? Otherwise look it up in the Monster Manual. You know they fear sunlight and can create and dominate servants. The one in front of you and Dextyr toasted just from being forced out of the shade.[/sblock]

[sblock=Skill Challenge?] Okay, it seems like we are ready for the next skill challenge whenever you like. It is a trek through the path and forest to find the abandoned cathedral.

Skill Challenge: Primary Skills DC 15 - Endurance, Knowledge (Nature), Perception
Secondary Skills DC 20
Complexity 3: You need 8 successes before 4 failures (with 6 PCs, this isn't too many)
Each character needs to try a skill or assist in the first round, the second round requires a different skill is used by that character.
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
"No more Tonk." Shorrin said sternly. "End it or release the small one. I will not witness such unhonorable acts. I have witnessed, and been part of, such acts before. I have vowed to not stand by while it happens again." Shorrin pauses momentarily, trying to find the right words. "For the sake of good, as we all are goodly; stop what you are doing."

Shorrin finishes covering the grave of the dragonborn, then stands and rips off a small portion of cloth from his own pants. He calmly walks over to Tonk smiling, then proceeds to bandage the freshly injured dwarf.

"Sometimes Tonk, pain will not change a life. You cannot make a child stop crying by harming it. Sometimes my new friend, it takes a gentle soul to lead someone to the light. Such is a time Tonk. This one has told us much already, and I do not feel this dwarf to be evil. Just mislead by a powerful being. Everyone makes mistakes Tonk. Just as I am sure you have done, and know I have done; let us be the ones to forgive."

Shorrin turns back as he finishes bandaging the dwarf. "You are goodly Tonk. Let the dwarf go."

"Aye, the big fellas got the right of it, we ain't gonna save the lass by sittin' around playing pinata with the dwarf. I don't think'sll be nothin' but a footnote in our dragonborn's grand tale, true glory lies ahead o' us. The bard's love tales a' great heroes savin' them damsels in distress, not so much for torture a' prisoners" Murphy says, sidling up next to his draconic ally.

"C'mon, let's go. I'll take point and stay offa tha main path." the man says, heading towards the path that the dwarf mentioned and ducking into the shadows.

[sblock=ooc]
Skill Challenge roll:
Stealth - try to stay out of sight so I can more easily spot enemies, whether they're lying in wait or whatnot

1D20 + 13 => 26 rolled in dice room, forgot -5 for moving at more than 2 squares/round so 21. Sorry 'bout that.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Tonk sighs, shakes his head.

"You all silly."

He smashes the dwarf's head in with his mace and recovers his rope. The half-orc walks over to Dextyr and whispers, "I think maybe they no have good mama and papa. They no know right and wrong. And they talk, talk, talk. Is sad, yes?"

Tonk heads into the woods, looking for signs of a trail.

Perception: 1d20+8=20
Stealth: 1d20+11-5=11

DMDanW

First Post
Dextyr has to divert his gaze as Tonk slices off the dwarfs toe and makes her eat it. Tonk had a good heart, but very misguided methods.

As the others began to protest Tonks interrogation methods Dextyr thought it would be a good time to intervene. He was about to stop Tonk, when he took out his mace and hit the dwarf in the head.

"Alright Tonk, I think you have broken her spirit, if not her skull. I do believe that she was telling the truth and she was simply a pawn to a greater evil. Whoever her "benefactor" may, he is the person we need to worry about now."

Dextyr checks the dwarf for any vital signs & stabilizes if possible; 1d20+2 (Heal check)=17

[sblock=If the dwarf still is alive]
"She still lives, but barely. Lets cut her loose and send her back to town. She cannot be redeemed if she dies in the woods"
[/sblock]
[sblock=If the dwarf is dead]
"Well Tonk, I surely hope we never find ourselves on the receiving end of this style of redemption. Some times you can catch more flies with honey than you can with a mace."
[/sblock]

Dextyr looks around as the sun sets further.

"This forest is giving me the creeps and I would prefer not to have to wonder around here in the dark more than we have too".

Dextyr begins down the path, easily making his way through the woods.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Nature roll for skill challenge #1;1d20+4 (Nature Check)=21
[/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
[sblock=Skill Challenge] Already 3 successes out of 8 on the challenge. Great descriptions too, so I see no need to update until the round is over.

Successes (3)
Murphy - Stealth, Tonk - Perception, Dextyr - Nature
To Go (3) - Shorrin, Larinza, Janus

Skill Challenge: Primary Skills DC 15 - Endurance, Knowledge (Nature), Perception
Secondary Skills DC 20
[/sblock]

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
[sblock="OOC"] Invisible Castle seems to be down. So if you'd please roll me a Endurance check, +6 Only if you roll high of course, low rolls don't count.

[/sblock]

Larinza marches off without saying a word. She looks very determined.

DMDanW

First Post
[SBLOCK=When IC is down..]
You can try using the CoCo Dice Roller. It is the roller I use and it has never been down for as long as I have been using it. Once you set up a session I also find it a lot easier to use than IC as well.
Here is the link; CoCo Dice Roller
[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Flashback...

"Well Tonk, I surely hope we never find ourselves on the receiving end of this style of redemption. Some times you can catch more flies with honey than you can with a mace."
"Pfft. Why I want catch fly? And if want catch fly, catch much more with poo-poo." He sighs. "Bad lady dwarf need die. See how she make the--" Tonk pretends to faint. "--when all you start say 'Stop, Tonk!' 'Is bad, Tonk!'? See, when hang head down, no can--" He pretends to faint again. "--from pain. All blood go to head, keep you awake. She make the no real, so she get away when leave. Maybe she come back and hurt us later. No let that happen. She TRICKY bad person, which most bad person of all bad person."

changer

First Post
Janus shakes his head as the dwarf's is smashed. "I applaud your search for knowledge Tonk. But next time let me do the talking. You can stand beside me and look like your going to do what you just did. It will help."
Janus says sadly, "On a different note, now the sun has gone down we should be wary. The codex vampiris I read states that they are stronger at night, no sun you see. Be vigilint." Janus call to his departing comrades as he too starts to move out carfully looking at the deepening shadows.

[sblock=ooc]
Perception roll 1d20+4=24

Another 20, why can't I do that when trying to hit.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads