• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Theroc: Simply update your daily, your item defense, damage and attack bonuses per their respective items. Then I would update your XP and treasure tracking befire the links I posted on the previous page be ome as obscure as their predecessors. After that, you can continue at your own pace.

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]
HMG, duely noted.

Gensai ready to go, wearing the borrowed Cloak. Ignore Action block.

[sblock=Action Block]
Move: ???
Minor: ???
Standard: Swordburst vs ???

• Target: ???
  • Attack: 1d20+9=15 -1=14 Miss
  • Damage: 1d6+6=0 Force Damage
[/sblock][sblock=Gensai Stat block]Ashikaga Gensai - Male Human Swordmage 6
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: +13, Passive Insight: +19
Death Penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after reaching two milestones (0/2).

Defenses:

AC: 24, Fort: 18, Reflex: 20, Will: 17 -- Speed: 6
Note: Using Borrowed Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1

Vitality:
HP: 62/62, THP: 0/3 Bloodied: 31, Surge Value: 15, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: not used
Note: Using Borrowed Cloak of the Walking Wounded: Property: If you use your second wind while bloodied, you can expend two healing surges instead of one (gaining hit points from both).

Languages:
Common, Primordial

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +13 vs AC - Fey Strike Katana 1d8+6
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +13 vs AC - Fey Strike Katana 1d8+6 (1x Enc)

Powers:
At-Will:
Sword Burst, Booming Blade, Lightning Lure, Aegis of Shielding, White Lotus Riposte, Boots of the Fencing Master (Move Effect)
Encounter: Sword of Sigils, Dimensional Vortex, Channeling Shield, Fey Strike Ranged Attack, Armathor's Step, Warded Vambraces, Boots of the Fencing Master, Fireheart Tattoo AP,
Daily: Frost Backlash, Swordmage Shielding Fire, Armor of Sudden Recovery, Fey Strike Teleport, Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula

Weapons:
1 Fey Strike Katana (Fey Strike Longsword +1 stats)

Note: Gensai's Iaido-like style is for color purposes only. He is wielding one weapon and his off-hand is free. But, I think my color description makes more sense for swordmage abilities.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Theroc]@Theroc: I was looking over your character sheet. There may be a reason you're not hitting anything. We're on a 25 point system with ability scores, and it looks like you generated Rujah on a 22 point system (correct me if I'm wrong). That means your STR could be 20 and not 19. This would increase your attack score by 1 for all of your powers. It would also increase your STR-based skills by 1.

*edit* BTW: Good job on the CS so far.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
[sblock=Theroc]@Theroc: I was looking over your character sheet. There may be a reason you're not hitting anything. We're on a 25 point system with ability scores, and it looks like you generated Rujah on a 22 point system (correct me if I'm wrong). That means your STR could be 20 and not 19. This would increase your attack score by 1 for all of your powers. It would also increase your STR-based skills by 1.

*edit* BTW: Good job on the CS so far.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Hrm... my CB file actually indicates a 24 point buy... which may be why it isn't quite to snuff. The problem, of course, is I don't know what to do with that 1 point, lol[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Theroc: I'm not sure why you think you're not up to snuff. Our last two battles have been against an encounter where we could not reasonably hit anything, and one where we were supposed to lose someone (which I don't think you were there for that one, if I recall correctly?). The last battle in particular was hardly something to judge a character by. The only reason we did any damage was thanks to auto-attacks that cannot miss and mostly getting ignored. Anyone who relied on actually hitting things to be effective was out of luck.

I haven't looked at your sheet or anything, but I'd wait until a slightly more typical encounter before making any drastic alterations. That said, HMG's point about boosting attack bonuses is a good one: the "meta" situation in PbP is that we are ALWAYS fighting guys too high for our level. It's the downside of being put into fewer, more challenging fights "per day". Because of this, having an average chance to hit is actually "poor", and having a high chance to hit is actually "average". Anything you can do to boost your chance to hit is a good thing.

If you want more specific advice you can always ask around. It's not like we don't all love statting out characters as our hobby or anything. :)[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: I've dilly-dallied long enough (not your fault...mine. You guys seem to have been ready for a couple of days now). With the exception of the points thing, which I'm sure Theroc will deal with later, I think everyone's CS is pretty much up to date, so here goes...

The night seems to pass more or less uneventfully, the motley group having fallen asleep in the boats. Gensai's eyes ease open to allow the morning light to filter into focus. As he does, he realizes that his boat has been cut adrift beaching itself several miles downriver. Having shared the boat with no one, panic begins to set in, Where are the others!?

Gensai looks around and quickly spots the two other boats. Mervin is lying in one, still asleep, while Rujah, Fenwick, and Riardon are working to free the second from having been wedged between the outstretched roots of a cypress.

"Half a moment, masters!"
Gensai calls out his friends, "I'll help."

"Don't..mmf!... bother...mmfaaghhh!" Riardon, gives the boat one final push, and with Fenwick pulling, the boat dislodges itself, floating peacefully in an eddy next to the tree that had so tenaciously held it captive.

Dusting off his hands, the Eladrin walks over to Gensai and claps him on the shoulder. "It's good to see that you're still alive." He laughs jovially and nods in the direction of the sleeping wizard, "Mervin seems to have slept through the whole thing," again, the warlord allows himself a teasing chuckle.

"Fenwick curious,"
the orc lumbers up behind the two of them, "How did boats end here when were tied to rock?"

Mervin finally stirs awake, finding his purse a little lighter than he remembers it, "I think I have an answer for that," he groans groggily, "I figure we've been robbed by someone who didn't want to risk a confrontation."

Sure enough, all the signs point to a cheap theft. The items that they took for themselves, being close at hand, were not disturbed, but the mundane items, as well as a few gold pieces are missing from the boat. Evidently the cowardly thief also wished to make sure that he wouldn't be followed by cutting them loose on the river.

Seeing the situation is not terribly dire, and that they couldn't really complain too much, since this stuff was really never theirs to begin with, the group decides to cut their losses and make camp.

And so the five adventurers make a breakfast, allowing their wounds to heal, mulling over the surreal battles behind, and the task ahead.

After eating, they find that the boats are still seaworthy, and thus strike out following the directions given them by Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv.

Sure enough, the band of boat-borne adventurers spy what appears to be the cave entrance they seek. It looms up before them like the gaping maw of some ancient god, spewing forth a flood of water from some dark, underground river. The sea churns wildly below precariously overhanging rocks, and the air fills with the thunder of crashing waives. Visibility within the cave is limited, but there is something else. The Eladrin signals the others, his keen eyes having been alerted to something moving on the shore, "It looks like we've been spotted. Stay sharp friends." The warlord points to a small, sandy beach adjacent to the mouth of the cave, where a tiny, greenish-blue creature scampers away from a small camp fire. As the others strain to get a better look, they barely catch a glimpse of the wretched creature as it ducks behind a rock and disappears from sight.

As the three boats wash up on the shore, they move to inspect the mouth of the cave and the abandoned campsite. To either side of the river, leading into the cave, are well worn walkways bearing what appear to be the tracks of some large beast of burden.

"It's likely," Rujah surmises, "That some beast is employed here to move boats up river against the current."

Though the paths on either side of the cave are well worn, there is currently no sign of activity. A cursory glance at the beach, however, tells a different story.

Gensai studies the remains of what appears to have been a campsite abandoned by the creature Riardon had seen from his boat, "It appears that our little friend took off in this direction." Gensai points along the ground following a trail of tracks left by some creature possessing a tail. The blademaster raises his head toward the rocks, a bewildered look falling across his face, "The tracks lead through the sand on the beach to the cliffs, and simply disappear."[sblock=Map]
WalrynRound1.png
[/sblock]
GM: Decision time. Look for a secret door, or go up through the cave and ignore the lookout.

This is a classic dungeon crawl, so I'm going to ask for a beginning initiative roll. Thus I reserve the right to surprise you :devil:. Be specific in your movements and actions, and leave nothing out.

Feel free to apply your skills in posting your actions. Tiered rewards will be given at DCs of:

17 (the result of simply taking more time than normal to apply your skill)
20 (the result of applying specific training or digging deep)
25 (the result of the above, and being just plain lucky)

You must state if you are:

• Looking for traps
  • Looking for secret doors
  • Using a light source
  • Searching a dead body
  • Opening a chest
  • Applying a skill (some fluff around how you're doing this would be nice too)
  • etc...
Otherwise, I will assume that you are not.

Take advantage of the zoom features on your browser. Anything on the map is fair game for role-play, mechanical advantage, and/or inspection. If you cannot zoom in on the map, feel free to OOC a request to look more carefully at a particular square, and I will provide an accommodating description.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
OOC: I assume we have already explored the small camp site completely?

I'd vote secret door - what does everyone else think?

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"I suggest we stay together on this hostile ground. Let's check the fireplace first. They probably used a secret door, or some part of the wall is an illusion, Gensai." Riardon suggests as he readies his sword and shield and moves cautiously to apparently be a deserted fireplace and some dead bodies.

[sblock=OOC]

-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 19 Insight: 14 Low-light Vision
AC 22 Fortitude 19 Reflex 19 Will 17
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 54 / 54 Bloodied: 27
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:13 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=WD]FYI: There are no dead bodies...yet. Searching "dead bodies" was just an example of things you must explicitly state during the course of the dungeon crawl. Sorry to be so confusing.[/sblock]

Remove ads